PDA

View Full Version : Recipes thread (continued)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

BigB08822
12-03-2009, 03:52 PM
I have never made a fudge, think I might try one this year. I always want to bake around the holidays!

Jenny
12-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Funny you mention fudge, as this one just caught my eye yesterday:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Layered-Mint-Chocolate-Fudge?pmcode=CF8C2VH44M&_mid=397400&_rid=397400.342100.536393

Japanfan, can't help you with the cheesecake, but hopefully Twilight will notice your post as she has been talking about making cheesecakes in SS.

Stefanie
12-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Funny you mention fudge, as this one just caught my eye yesterday:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Layered-Mint-Chocolate-Fudge?pmcode=CF8C2VH44M&_mid=397400&_rid=397400.342100.536393

That one looks good. The only thing that worries me about that one is that while part of the fudge mixture is chilling the remaining is sitting at room temperature...wouldn't the remainder start to get hard and be more difficult to spread on top when it's time to do so? Nonetheless, I think I'll give it a try and make it for my work's holiday luncheon.

I've made this one, which also uses Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peppermint-Chocolate-Fudge/Detail.aspx. Very easy.

sk8pics
12-03-2009, 11:25 PM
This is a weightwatchers cheesecake recipe that's more like a cheese pie. It was a big hit when I made it for a potluck. I would say you could vary the fruits on top.

Ingredients
6" frozen pie shell
1 C part skim ricotta cheese
1 large egg
1 large egg white
4 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries, washed and picked over
1 cup raspberries, washed and picked over

Preheat oven to 350F. Place ricotta cheese in bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Add egg, egg white, sugar, nutmeg and vanilla. Process again until well combined. Spoon filling into frozen pie crust and bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 - 50 minutes. Cool pie and then arrange berries in concentric circles on top. Slice into 8 pieces and serve. It's 5 points per serving.

neptune
12-03-2009, 11:30 PM
I have never made a fudge

Well, it's usually a good idea to make more than one. ;)

I always want to bake around the holidays!

Baked fudge...sounds interesting. Are you referring to brownies perhaps, BigB08822? :)

emason
12-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Question for LordCirque (or anyone else who might know):

I have a recipe for Pumpkin Spice Bread that I have been making successfully for 30 years. It uses 'vegetable' oil. The last 2 times I have made this the results have been awful: bread was too wet, did not slice nicely, did not toast up nicely. The only thing I did differently was use Wesson vegetable oil, which the fine print revealed to be soybean. My guess is that in the past I used corn oil, but I don't honestly know.

Bottom line - if you were baking something that called for vegetable oil, what exactly would you use?

barney
12-04-2009, 02:08 AM
Bottom line - if you were baking something that called for vegetable oil, what exactly would you use?

Almost everything marked "vegetable oil" in the US is either soybean oil or a soybean oil blend (soy/corn or soy/canola). Soy, corn, safflower, or canola (or a blend of those) would all be fine though. I'd bet there's a good chance you were using a soy or soy-blend before, actually, and that the problem might be something else.

altai_rose
12-04-2009, 04:46 AM
I always use canola oil.

Question: What kinds of foods do you all like that are healthy, low-calorie, filling, and (most importantly) delicious that I can use as snacks or small meals? Please... no vegetable suggestions... after a summer and fall of being forced to eat lots of vegetables every day, I want to try other things.

Right now--I really like:
Hot chocolate (nonfat milk with unsweetened Ghirardelli cocoa powder): I don't add any cream or sugar to it, but it's so good!
1-egg omelet with cheese alongside some cold, smoked salmon
Baked apples with cinnamon: Take some Granny smith (or mixed) apples, peel and slice them into 1/2 inch slices, cover slices generously with cinnamon, then bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes.

Cupid
12-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I used to have a problem with the bottom of my pies being soggy or undercooked looking, while the rest of the pie was fine. So I started doing this and it's come out fine ever since:

When you preheat the oven, make sure the oven rack is in the very lowest position of your oven, and place a baking sheet on the rack while the oven preheats. Then place the prepared pie (I always use a glass pie pan) on the baking sheet and bake as directed. I also place an edge protector on the pie about halfway through baking to prevent overbrowning of the edges. Cool on a cooling rack, not on a flat surface.

Cupid
12-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Seeking recipes for savory pies or cheesecakes - i.e. a non-sweet pumpkin pie/cheesecake or a cheese based pie/cheesecake. I've seen some recipes with blue cheeses but am not really fond of those.

I have a recipe somewhere called pesto cheescake. It calls for cream cheese, prepared pesto, eggs, so there's a white layer and a green layer from the pesto being stirred into a portion of the batter. It is baked in a springform pan like a cheesecake would be and the top is sprinkled with pignoli. I cut it on a bias to form triangles and serve with crackers. You wouldn't want to cut it in wedges like a dessert cheesecake because it's so rich and savory, it would be too much.

skatemommy
12-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Question: What kinds of foods do you all like that are healthy, low-calorie, filling, and (most importantly) delicious that I can use as snacks or small meals? Please... no vegetable suggestions... after a summer and fall of being forced to eat lots of vegetables every day, I want to try other things.

This blogger has some great high protein / low carb recipes

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

skaternum
12-04-2009, 04:29 PM
When you preheat the oven, make sure the oven rack is in the very lowest position of your oven, and place a baking sheet on the rack while the oven preheats. Then place the prepared pie (I always use a glass pie pan) on the baking sheet and bake as directed. I also place an edge protector on the pie about halfway through baking to prevent overbrowning of the edges. Cool on a cooling rack, not on a flat surface.

Thanks for the tips, cupid. I'll try them!

Jenny
12-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Question: What kinds of foods do you all like that are healthy, low-calorie, filling, and (most importantly) delicious that I can use as snacks or small meals?

Chicken or tuna salad on crackers - easy to adjust the calorie level with type/quantity of mayo, and type of cracker. If I'm having chicken for dinner, I always make extra to make salad for lunches and snacks.

Cottage cheese - depending on where you live, you can get individual containers that are great for a lunch bag or quick snack, and it's easy to flavour them up yourself. I like pepper or cayenne, and a bit of parmesan and/or fresh snipped parsley.

Apples are a great idea - very filling - and I always enjoy a slice of good cheese to go with them.

Nuts - depending on your diet, these can be great or not, but always filling and easy to pack or keep handy. There are tons of recipes out there for spicing them up as well, for variety.

Boiled eggs - make several at a time, and keep them in the fridge for quick snack, either on their own, or quickly mashed up into a little salad on a cracker.

Veggies and dip - I know you are tired of veggies, but they're so good for you, so easy, and so filling! Back when I used to take lunch to work, I'd chop up three days worth at a time, pack them in ziplocks, and divide some homemade dip into small plastic containers. Mix it up by going beyond the usual celery and carrots to include different colours of peppers, radishes, cucumber wedges, broccoli, green beans and more.

Soup isn't bad either - you can make a bigger batch, have it for dinner with a salad or sandwich, then divide it up into portions for lunches to nuke later in the week, or have as a quick dinner. Much better if you make soup yourself healthwise and flavourwise, and easy enough to do if you do a batch that covers several meals/snacks. You can also totally control fat/carb/salt/calorie content.

Sandwiches/mini stacks on crackers - keep a few things in the fridge that make these easy, requiring assembly only. You can pick the most healthful bread/crackers, and easily control the fat in the mayo/butter yourself. Sliced deli meats can be salty, so think about making them yourself - ie. make a big enough roast for dinner that you can slice for sandwiches/snacks later in the week. Same with cheese - sure the pre-sliced are easy, but they can also be expensive, so just slice your own. Tomatoes, lettuce are easy enough to prepare, and there's other flavoursome, healthy additions such as sprouts, peppers, onions, etc. Treat yourself to good condiments - we keep five different mustards handy (!!), a some pickles to round out the snack/meal.

The other thing I do to try and control the munchies is keep a lot of different kinds of teas around, whether in the cupboard or in my desk. I drink tea with no sugar or milk, so I'm happy to spend a few extra dollars on gourmet blends. By the time you make the tea and enjoy the cup, the temptation to reach for unhealthy snacks has often disappeared.

neptune
12-04-2009, 06:10 PM

I personally use coconut oil for both baking and frying. It has a high smoke point when refined, so it doesn't burn easily. It's also very stable--you can leave it unrefrigerated for up to a couple of years and it won't go rancid. In the winter, you'll probably need to warm up the coconut oil a bit because it solidifies. Anyway, it has always worked great. The unrefined kinds have a nice smell too. Of course, if you want a totally neutral taste/smell, you can buy the refined kinds. There are a lot of varieties.

neptune
12-04-2009, 06:32 PM
When you preheat the oven, make sure the oven rack is in the very lowest position of your oven, and place a baking sheet on the rack while the oven preheats.

Are you saying to leave the oven rack in the lowest position after the preheating, Cupid?