PDA

View Full Version : Opera Suggestions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Ania
02-17-2010, 02:02 AM
I was just sent this link and had to share. What would you do if you were at the market and an a opera broke out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds8ryWd5aFw)?

One of my former students was involved in a similar project in Pittsburgh - The Bust Stop Opera: http://www.busstopopera.com/press.html
They tour with this project around the US, next performance is in NY, I think.
Her descritpion of the first time they did it was hillarious - a guy was trying to chat her up when she got the cue to start and had to break into singing.

SaSherka
02-21-2010, 12:30 AM
I was just sent this link and had to share. What would you do if you were at the market and an a opera broke out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds8ryWd5aFw)?

This video certainly is making its internet rounds lately! I'd be thrilled to witness any carefully prepared "impromptu" staging, whether an opera or any of the ImprovEverywhere troupe sketches.

Keeping this on the subject - here's a recent article about Swiss TV project (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/arts/music/07opera.html) about bringing opera to the masses. (there are video links to La Boheme and La Traviata)

poths
02-21-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm going to see Madame Butterfly in, oh...3 hours! :cheer:

SaSherka
04-17-2010, 10:33 PM
La Traviata @ the Met with Angela Gheorghiu was possibly the highlight of the season!

Btw, wanted to share this link with fellow opera fans - www.operacast.com - which lists radio broadcasts from all over the world, neatly organized by day and time! Enjoy!

Also, if anyone wants to go see Armida @ the Met on May 1st with Renee Fleming: I have one ticket (and theoretically two more) I'd like to sell. The show is pretty much sold out, but my goal is to see that night's Carmen with Jonas Kauffmann (which is also sold out, but hoping for standing room tickets...)

The Village Idiot
04-17-2010, 11:03 PM
La Traviata @ the Met with Angela Gheorghiu was possibly the highlight of the season! I wouldn't know. She was out when I went Tuesday. #notbitter

Though I did thoroughly enjoy my first Traviata. Still wanted to see Gheorghiu though.

SaSherka
04-18-2010, 12:58 AM
I wouldn't know. She was out when I went Tuesday. #notbitter

Though I did thoroughly enjoy my first Traviata. Still wanted to see Gheorghiu though.

Aww, too bad. She was in fine form a week ago (and pretty gracious with a few fans who stuck past midnight for an autograph =)) and on the broadcast today. You still have one last chance this Wednesday, standing room only though... Good chances of her showing up now that the international broadcast is behind her.

reckless
04-18-2010, 02:05 AM
If there is anyone in Los Angeles who wants to see tomorrow's (Sunday's) matinee of The Stigmatized, I have an extra ticket. It's third row, dead center, and can be had for very cheap.

SaSherka
04-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Just checking in to see if any New Yorkers or other FSUers in town would like my Fam Circle Armida ticket to tomorrow's sold out 1PM Met show for face value? (will likely be selling it right before the show anyway)

Or if anyone would like to join me in a quest to get Carmen tickets for tomorrow night with Jonas Kauffmann? ;)

kwanfan1818
05-06-2010, 02:27 AM
One of the great mezzo-sopranos of the 20th century, Giulietta Simionato, died seven days short of her 100th birthday.

Thanks to Mr. Padillo from the Opera-L list, here is a link to a clip on YouTube from a talk show which first airs an excerpt of a stage rehearsal of Mascagni's "Cavalleria Rusticana":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJEOtLpevs0

At about 10 seconds, that is a Level 10 face wipe.

In the scene, Simionato plays a teenager who is trying to get back the father of her child, sung here by Franco Corelli, the tenor heart-throb of the 50's-70's, who dumped her to become the boy-toy of someone else's wife. It doesn't work, and she's none too happy.

The second half of the footage is the talk show itself, and if the interview was aired in 2003, that meant she was 93 at the time :eek:

RIP, dear Simionato.

Finnice
05-06-2010, 12:11 PM
My sons have seen The Magic Flute, Barber of Sevilla and "the sequel" of it, La Nozze di Figaro plus a couple of Finnish operas. The Magic Flute is really good for the children. I would also recommend beethoven´s Fidelio and Mozart´s other lighter operas.

jollibee
05-08-2010, 08:46 PM
For those who enjoyed the Live in HD broadcasts, just letting you know that, there will be more operas available this summer in your movie theaters!

As a continuation of the HD series, they will show a 'best of' operas from recent seasons, I guess. They will be Aida, Romeo &Juliet, Eugene Onegin, La Boheme, Turandot, Madame Butterfly, and Carmen. Six of them will be shown in the US meanwhile only four will be shown in Canada. More info is at the Met's site.

Although I saw Aida and Carmen, I think I will see all the 4 that's showing here. It's worth it to see them on the big screen.

kwanfan1818
05-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Thank you for the heads up -- I just bought at ticket for "Carmen" this Monday. I'm really looking forward to hearing Garanca.

Next season's HD broadcast list is great:

"Das Rheingold" (Richard Wagner) with Stephanie Blythe (Fricka) and Bryn Terfel (Wotan). It's part of the new Ring Cycle that Robert Lepage ("Damnation of Faust") is directing.

"Boris Godunov" (Modest Mussorgsky) with Rene Pape (Boris).

"Don Pasquale" (Gaetano Donizetti) with Anna Netrebko (Norina), Matthew Polenzani (Ernesto), Mariusz Kwiecien (Don Pasquale; this season's HD Escamillo)

"Don Carlo" (Giuseppe Verdi) with Marina Poplavskaya (Elisabetta), Roberto Alagna (Don Carlo), and Simon Keenlyside (Marquis de Posa, this season's HD Hamlet). Young Canadian conductor Yannick Nézet-Séguin is getting lots of great reviews.

"La Fanciulla Del West" (Giacomo Puccini) with Deborah Voigt (Minnie) and Marcello Giordani (Dick Johnson)

"Iphigénie en Tauride" (Christoph Willibald Gluck) with Susan Graham (Iphigenie), Plácido Domingo (Oreste), and Paul Groves (Pylade). Graham was gorgeous when this was done a couple of season ago.

"Lucia di Lammermoor" (Gaetano Donizetti) with Natalie Dessay (Lucia) and Joseph Calleja (Edgardo).

"Le Comte Ory" (Gioachino Rossini) with Diana Damrau (La Comtesse Adèle), Joyce DiDonato (Isolier, en travesti), and Juan Diego Flórez (Le Comte Ory, in drag as a nun).

"Capriccio" (Richard Strauss) with Renée Fleming (The Countess)

"Il Trovatore" (Giuseppe Verdi) with Sondra Radvanovsky (Leonora), Dolora Zajick (Azucena), Marcelo Álvarez (Manrico), and Dmitri Hvorostovsky (Count di Luna). This opera is notoriously difficult to cast, and this cast got raves last season.

"Die Walküre" (Richard Wagner) with Deborah Voigt (Brunhilde), Eva Maria Westbroek (Sieglinde), Stephanie Blythe (Fricka), Jonas Kaufmann (:swoon: Siegmund), and Bryn Terfel (Wotan).

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/news/news_flash.aspx?id=11526

27 August is the day New York time that tickets go on sale to donors, with general sales in September (TBA).

LadyNit
05-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Not a suggestion...but I'm off to the premiere of Amelia tonight at Seattle Opera.

With an intensely personal libretto by American poet Gardner McFall (The Pilot’s Daughter), whose father was a Navy pilot lost during Vietnam, this new American opera moves from loss to recuperation, paralysis to flight, as the protagonist, Amelia, ultimately embraces her life and the creative force of love and family.

Fingers crossed that it lives up to word of mouth.

kwanfan1818
05-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Not a suggestion...but I'm off to the premiere of Amelia tonight at Seattle Opera.

Fingers crossed that it lives up to word of mouth.
The snippets I've heard from the Seattle Opera website and via the SO Facebook page are very impressive.

Jot the Dot Dot
05-09-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm surprized I'm the first to mention "What's Opera Doc?