PDA

View Full Version : Opera Suggestions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RedRover
01-03-2010, 04:37 AM
I have tickets to see Carmen at the Met in February. I cannot wait! My first time ever at the Met:cool:

kwanfan1818
01-03-2010, 04:43 AM
Have a wonderful time, RedRover!

If you get there early enough, you can visit not only the gift shop, but also the galleries downstairs, with portraits of the great singers who've sung at the Met.

One of the my favorite moments in all of the arts, which they don't film on most HD broadcasts -- they opt for the stage manager calling the maestro to the pit -- is when the mini-chandeliers rise just as the lights start to dim. I get chills just thinking about it.

Tinami Amori
01-03-2010, 07:02 PM
.. re opera suggestions...

Just for music alone, and not the “story line” or “stage production grandeur”, my favorites (besides Carmen and Don Giovanni) are “Il Trovatore” and “L’elisire d’amore”, and the only few I can listen to from start to end without skipping portions and enjoy the music alone without the “visual”.

piano18
01-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Back a few years ago I saw a production of 'Filumena". lol. A purely Albertan production.

BlueRidge
01-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Ok who saw Der Rosenkavalier yesterday? Whatcha think, knowledgeable folks? :cool:

Were there sound problems everywhere or was that our theater?

Habs
01-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Ok who saw Der Rosenkavalier yesterday? Whatcha think, knowledgeable folks? :cool:

Were there sound problems everywhere or was that our theater?

Hubby and I thought it was great! Susan Graham and Renee Fleming were spectacular. :)

No sound problems in our theatre.

BlueRidge
01-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Gorgeous Renee in her gorgeous costumes! ... and there was music too ;)

My parents were kind of obsessed with why Strauss wrote the boy role for a woman, I think maybe they didn't like that. I get a total kick out of it myself.. :shuffle:

ebayj
01-11-2010, 05:25 AM
We went to see Turandot, and it was just spectacular :cool:. Loved it, loved it, loved it!

We'll go see one more production, but haven't been able to decide which one.

Do post how you liked Tales of Hoffmann missBella--I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

I'm so thrilled! Turandot is overflowing with pageantry and lush gorgeous sounds. Let me know what you decide to see next.

BlueRidge
01-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Yowza, the Carmen HD was fabulous!

Am totally in love with Barbara Frittoli :swoon:

Tinami Amori
01-18-2010, 09:50 PM
My parents were kind of obsessed with why Strauss wrote the boy role for a woman, I think maybe they didn't like that. I get a total kick out of it myself.. :shuffle:

If your parents still want to know...

R. Strauss did not write the music for the role of Octavian with a female singer in mind, or any gender in mind.

Until the 19th century “gender” of opera singers was never an issue, the “voice" was.

Only towards the end of 19th century the rules were introduced that women should sing women’s and men should sing men’s parts.

Before it was all about “type of voice” which suites best the character.

In the 17th century young castrati often sang the female parts, and later in the 18th century young girls sang boys/men parts.

The character of Octavian is a teen-age boy, and the part was written with “boy-soprano” or “countertenor” voice in mind to highlight the age difference between the two middle-aged principal characters Baron Ochs (bass) & Marshallin (soprano), and the young boy Octavian.

"Boy-soprano" or "Countertenor" in men is VERY hard to find.

Since there was no “boy-soprano/countertenors” to sing the Octavian part, the decision was made to make it a “mezzo-soprano” and to cast a female singer.

The very same situation as why the male character Cherubino in sang by a woman in the Le Nozze di Figaro.

It had nothing to do with any social trends or statements. It was all about which “singing body”, regardless of gender, can sing in a proper type of voice.

kwanfan1818
01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
"Der Rosenkavalier" was written in 1909-10 and premiered in 1911.

jollibee
01-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Due to these Met's broadcasts, I want to increase my opera cd collection, however there are so many cds to choose from. I have a few "best of... cds" like Puccini, Pavarotti, Callas etc. albums, but I would like to get some cds that are the complete operas but I don't know which versions are the best.

Could you, please, recommend for me some of your favorite albums? And, also recommend some singer's specific albums, that are a must-hear?

Thank you, in advance!!

poths
01-21-2010, 09:03 PM
The Magic Flute for children.

emason
01-22-2010, 01:51 AM
Run, run, run to get Concerto Koln/Rene Jacobs' recording of Handel's Giulio Cesare with Jennifer Larmore, Barbara Schlick, Bernarda Fink and others.

reckless
02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
I was just sent this link and had to share. What would you do if you were at the market and an a opera broke out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds8ryWd5aFw)?