PDA

View Full Version : Opera Suggestions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

reckless
08-16-2013, 08:03 AM
Which Monday are you talking about? I may stay on the 14th to see Radvanovsky, but I am planning to see Meade/Barton one on Oct 24th.
We're going on the 14th. It fit with my mom's conference, and I wanted her to see Radvanovsky since I have been raving about her since Tosca. (I also was not wowed by Meade when I saw her last season in Don Giovanni.)

I'm jealous that you went to Santa Fe. My stepmother has gone a few times and raved about it, so it is something I plan to do in the future.

kwanfan1818
08-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Jonas Kaufmann and Thomas Hampson are looking good, literally, and sounding beautifully in the "Don Carlos" from Salzburg.

iloveemoticons
08-17-2013, 04:14 PM
I saw the Giulio Cesare Met in HD in April and it was magical. I had never seen a Handel opera before but his music was so lush, and Bardon and Coote made a new fan out of me. I wish I had the chance see them again, arghhh. In the upcoming Met in HD season, nothing really stands out that much to me besides La Cenerentola with DiDonato and Florez. I love fun operas, DiDonato's voice is gorgeous, and Florez should be good.

For La Boheme fans, the Korean National Opera did a marvelous production of it for their 50th anniversary. Wonderful singing and musicality, especially from the two leads. A very classic yet fresh interpretation. The whole thing's on YouTube in HD quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZIWRtpLPo0

SaSherka
08-23-2013, 05:20 AM
Jonas Kaufmann and Thomas Hampson are looking good, literally, and sounding beautifully in the "Don Carlos" from Salzburg.

You cannot just throw around that phrase and not link to the video ;) Available on demand at a bit over 4 hours long: http://www.medici.tv/#!/don-carlo-verdi-salzburg-festival

kwanfan1818
08-23-2013, 06:02 AM
Sorry -- when I posted it was running live for subscription people only :o

SaSherka
08-23-2013, 06:17 AM
Sorry -- when I posted it was running live for subscription people only :o

Subscription? What's that? ;) It was just a free live broadcast.

SaSherka
08-23-2013, 06:18 AM
duplicate

kwanfan1818
08-23-2013, 06:44 AM
I must have misread the email from medici tv: I thought the live broadcast was available to paid subscribers, and that it was only available for free after the live broadcast.

reckless
08-23-2013, 10:45 PM
The Operalia finals are this weekend. They air Sunday live on medici.tv. The LA Opera just posted on its Facebook that four members of its Young Artist program reached the finals.

IoanaC
08-24-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm very excited to be seeing the third and last cycle next week.

I've read good things about Stuart Skelton's Siegmund, and Stefan Vinke is going to be Siegfried in a couple of weeks at the Enescu Festival (we'll have the Ring Cycle in concert version - let's see how the Bucharest audience handles that...)
My most recent Ring experience has been listening to Barenboim and Staatskapelle Berlin at the BBC Proms (on BBC3), and that was absolutely exhilarating.

Hope you have/had a good time in Seattle!

BlueRidge
09-19-2013, 02:59 PM
I saw the Washington Opera's Tristan & Isolde last night. Originally, Deborah Voight was to be Isolde but she withdrew a week before the run began. Apparently this was because she decided she is not right for the role. She was replaced by Iréne Theorin, who seemed to me to do quite well. I also liked the tenor Ian Storey.

I have not previously been to a Wagner opera either live or Live in HD. Although it was hard for me to put my finger on why, I did not like it. I think it was just that I found it incredibly ponderous.

Henceforth, I will leave Wagner to the Wagner lovers.

ETA: The production has been getting rave reviews such as this one. I can't disagree with any of the review. I just didn't enjoy it. http://dctheatrescene.com/2013/09/17/tristan-isolde/

reckless
09-20-2013, 06:46 AM
I have not previously been to a Wagner opera either live or Live in HD. Although it was hard for me to put my finger on why, I did not like it. I think it was just that I found it incredibly ponderous.

Henceforth, I will leave Wagner to the Wagner lovers.
I'm jealous that you figured it out after one production. It took me a lot more than that before I finally concluded I can live just fine if I never see another Wagnerian opera.

Ponderous is a great term for it. (Repetitive is another.)

kwanfan1818
09-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Tristan is unusual among Wagner's operas. I don't put it in the same bucket as any of the rest. Lohengrin and Parsifal are very beautiful, and The Ring has a ton to think about.

BYTCH
09-20-2013, 06:11 PM
My friend bought ticket to this year's T&I just to hear Deborah Voight and he was exceedingly disappointed (to put it mildly) when she withdrew.

T&I is Wagner's paean to romance :rolleyes: one way it might have annoyed BR is that the romantic music builds and builds in each act but is never resolved until the Liebestodt when it FINALLY is allowed to climax. So the opera only climaxes when lover boy is toast; this is consistent with his view that women are debilitating to real men.

I sat through Parsifal with James Levine conducting on Hitler's BD. It was the longest night of my life. I didn't even clap when it finally ended, I just bolted and swore to never sit through it again. However, I also declared I would never sit through Salome or Zauberflaute again, and I did, so it is conceivable that I may somehow be dragged into Parsifal, but I will never subject myself to Levine conducting Wagner again. His interpretation of Wagner is like Richard Burton's Shakespeare--excruciatingly ponderous.

When the Berlin Opera brought the Ring Cycle to DC I hocked my socks to sit in the 2nd row center orchestra for all four operas. I took the week off work so my concentration and enjoyment would not be disturbed by the mundane. :rolleyes: I am no longer the Wagnerian uber that I used to be, I have matured to install Puccini as my favorite composer.

JMHO

kwanfan1818
09-20-2013, 07:02 PM
My friend bought ticket to this year's T&I just to hear Deborah Voight and he was exceedingly disappointed (to put it mildly) when she withdrew.
that's too bad, because Irene Theorin is a great singer, just coming off a Ring in Italy. (She was the Brunnhilde in the Copenhagen Ring, which is on DVD, my desert island Ring.)

T&I is Wagner's paean to romance :rolleyes: one way it might have annoyed BR is that the romantic music builds and builds in each act but is never resolved until the Liebestodt when it FINALLY is allowed to climax.
Five freaking hours later, by adding one note to resolve the pervasive chord.

So the opera only climaxes when lover boy is toast; this is consistent with his view that women are debilitating to real men.
Really. In the Ring, the only non-victim woman who isn't an airhead (coughRheinmaidenscough), Fricka, loses the guy. The rest suffer and suffer and suffer, and their suffering is fetishized.

I sat through Parsifal with James Levine conducting on Hitler's BD. It was the longest night of my life.
Levine's "Parsifal" is as long as other conductors' Ring.