PDA

View Full Version : Opera Suggestions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Simone411
08-08-2013, 11:14 PM
No Opera on the agenda at The Strand Theatre (http://www.thestrandtheatre.com/schedule/) this year, but I'm planning on seeing the Moscow Ballet's Great Russian Nutcracker on November 23rd. I didn't realize Bryan Adams was performing this Friday! So, I'm going to miss seeing him! :(

kwanfan1818
08-09-2013, 12:15 AM
I like Garanca a lot, but I've read and heard great things about Sophie Koch's Charlotte (and her Composer in "Ariadne auf Naxos", an opera I don't much like but which I'd see for her). Anyone whose inspiration is Christa Ludwig is fine by me.

BlueRidge
08-09-2013, 02:40 AM
It doesn't matter who replaces Elina, they won't be Elina, and I want to see Elina!

emason
08-09-2013, 04:25 AM
It doesn't matter who replaces Elina, they won't be Elina, and I want to see Elina!

Not I. I want to see Alice Coote.

BlueRidge
08-09-2013, 02:44 PM
I'd actually like to see Alice Coote in Der Rosenkavalier myself. I look forward to the reports on that. I'm terribly disappointed not to get to see Elina in Werther in the Live in HD. I'm not all that enamoured of the opera, don't care about Jonas Kaufman and don't have extra $$$ to spare so that one is off my list, no offense to Sophie Koch who I do not know.

emason
08-09-2013, 10:26 PM
I haven't had enough exposure to Elina G. to form an opinion about her; I just know I love Alice Coote. I'm even more interested in seeing her in Two Boys.

reckless
08-12-2013, 01:25 AM
Every year when the LA Opera announces its schedule, my mother bemoans the fact that they have never done Norma and that she has never had the opportunity to see it live. She is attending a conference in Chicago in mid-October, so I asked her the other night if she wanted to go to New York for the weekend before her concert and then see the Met production on a Monday night. I got tickets this morning when the single production tickets went on sale and then booked our flights with miles. She is incredibly excited. (So am I. I haven't been to the Met in more than 20 years.)

kwanfan1818
08-12-2013, 01:31 AM
That's fantastic news, reckless!

Marge_Simpson
08-13-2013, 02:23 AM
Joyce DiDonato will be at Carnegie Hall on Oct 13, info here:
http://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2013/10/13/0300/PM/The-Met-Orchestra/

reckless
08-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Opera-related. I went to the Hollywood Bowl last night to see the LA Philharmonic perform Verdi's Requiem. The soloists were Juliana Di Giacomo, Michelle DeYoung, Vittorio Grigolo and Ildebrando D’Arcangelo. I saw both Grigolo and D'Arcangelo at the LA Opera last season and it was interesting to see how different they were in the concert setting. D'Arcangelo, in particular, was lifeless when he wasn't playing a role, and his voice just doesn't have enough power even with a mic to work at the Bowl. Only Di Giacomo, who was the standout, and Grigolo seemed to work in the concert. DeYoung was extremely disappointing.

kwanfan1818
08-15-2013, 12:32 AM
For Canadians: Priority Met in HD tickets went on sale in Canada today, and those who have SCENE cards (free) with Cineplex Theatres get priority ticketing without having to donate $125 to the Met. They also discount tickets (usually $25) if you buy 3, 5, or 8+, there's a small discount. I was able to order online, too, instead of spending a couple of hours on line at the theater.

Artemis@BC
08-15-2013, 01:05 AM
For Canadians: Priority Met in HD tickets went on sale in Canada today, and those who have SCENE cards (free) with Cineplex Theatres get priority ticketing without having to donate $125 to the Met. They also discount tickets (usually $25) if you buy 3, 5, or 8+, there's a small discount. I was able to order online, too, instead of spending a couple of hours on line at the theater.

I figured out a few seasons back that if I go to one of the suburban movie theatres instead of downtown Vancouver for these broadcasts, there's absolutely no need to purchase far in advance. I don't think I've ever seen the theatres at more than about 10% capacity.

Of course part of the reason the Met broadcasts have a lower turnout in this area is the 10 am time for the Pacific time zone!

Here's the lineup and ticket info, btw, for those interested. http://www.cineplex.com/Events/MetOpera/Home.aspx?cmpid=Newsletter_Showcase_en

LilJen
08-15-2013, 02:41 AM
For any of you PNW/Seattle types, the Seattle Opera does the Ring cycle every summer. I am told that this year's production and especially the cast is WONDERFUL. The long-time director will be retiring soon, so the Ring might not continue. . . if you've ever wanted to go, now is the time.

kwanfan1818
08-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Of course part of the reason the Met broadcasts have a lower turnout in this area is the 10 am time for the Pacific time zone!

If we're lucky they start at 10am -- some of them start at 9am :coffee: That's why I don't go to the theaters in the burbs: that would mean losing even more sleep, while for downtown Scotiabank, I can roll out of bed at 9:15 and be in the theater for a 10am start.

For any of you PNW/Seattle types, the Seattle Opera does the Ring cycle every summer. I am told that this year's production and especially the cast is WONDERFUL. The long-time director will be retiring soon, so the Ring might not continue. . . if you've ever wanted to go, now is the time.
While the first Seattle Ring ran every summer from 1975-1984, it was not sustainable or affordable, and for the last few decades, it's done every four years for a repeat/update of the same production; for a new production there can be a five-six-year gap. Now at three cycles in a row, the singers have to commit to a multi-month rehearsal period, and even if the money could be found -- it usually takes three-four years to raise the money these days -- the singers and director Stephen Wadsworth couldn't afford the time each year. That's part of what makes it a hot ticket item.

This summer, is the fourth time the current "Green" Ring has been staged, and it is lauded more and more as other productions are hated and hated. For those who loved the old Met Ring production and loathe the Lepage production with The Machine, and cringe at the descriptions of this year's Bayreuth production, the Seattle Ring is used as a critical cudgel to smack down the others. It could be the last time it's presented in Seattle; a new General Director, Aidan Lang, from New Zealand, takes over for the 2014-15 season. I doubt the Board would have hired him if he came in saying that he wanted to can the Ring; ever since then General Director Glynn Ross put Seattle on the map with his first production, it's been the city's high-cultural calling card. The question is whether the incremental money can be there for a new production without siphoning the donations from the General Fund.

When you look at the text, 90% of the Ring is a big family soap opera, and Wadsworth treats the Ring like the theater director he is and has focused on the personal relationships, which makes it dramatically rewarding through lots of long, talky scenes. He refines and reworks the material, and, of course, he works with some new cast members each time. The sets are naturalistic and quite beautiful in the nature scenes, which are based on actual Pacific Northwest wildlife: the artists in the scene shop and the carpenters spent a lot of time in actual forests around the region, to create the detail and to show the decay over the ages of the Ring.

It's General Director Speight Jenkins' last Ring -- he retires after the Wagner Competition next August -- and since 2013 is the Wagner Bicentennial, when a lot of opera houses are staging Wagner's works and most of the major singers were snapped up years in advance, it's a testament to Jenkins and the loyalty he inspires that that he's assembled a :kickass: :rockstar: cast when the same singers could have made bigger :bribe: and could have dropped in a week or two before the premiere for rehearsals at other houses, especially this year.

I'm very excited to be seeing the third and last cycle next week.

SaSherka
08-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Every year when the LA Opera announces its schedule, my mother bemoans the fact that they have never done Norma and that she has never had the opportunity to see it live. She is attending a conference in Chicago in mid-October, so I asked her the other night if she wanted to go to New York for the weekend before her concert and then see the Met production on a Monday night. I got tickets this morning when the single production tickets went on sale and then booked our flights with miles. She is incredibly excited. (So am I. I haven't been to the Met in more than 20 years.)
Which Monday are you talking about? I may stay on the 14th to see Radvanovsky, but I am planning to see Meade/Barton one on Oct 24th.

Joyce DiDonato will be at Carnegie Hall on Oct 13, info here:
http://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2013/10/13/0300/PM/The-Met-Orchestra/
I'll be there. Single tickets go on sale in 10 days (Aug. 26 that is).
Speaking of JDD, ya'll should go buy her #ReJOYCE "Best of" album (http://t.co/NsphrrA9V8)!

I haven't had enough exposure to Elina G. to form an opinion about her; I just know I love Alice Coote. I'm even more interested in seeing her in Two Boys.
I would've loved to see Werther with Garanca. Apparently, I have this 2005 DVD that I have yet to watch: http://www.amazon.com/Massenet-Werther-Marcelo-Jelosits-Philippe/dp/B000BK53N8
I may make a trip to see Coote as Octavian, but I already have tickets to see her in Two Boys (Oct 25).

I have caught an opera travel bug and went to the Santa Fe opera and saw all 5 productions 2 weeks ago. What a special place to see opera! There was a full-blown thunderstorm with lightning during La Traviata and it was the most memorable Traviata I've seen (Brenda Rae better start getting offers in the USA!)

How long 'til the Met season begins? http://www.hasthemetseasonstarted.com/

Oh, also, there will be a fantastic Don Carlo broadcast from Salzburg in about 9.5 hours: http://www.medici.tv/#!/don-carlo-verdi-salzburg-festival