PDA

View Full Version : Opera Suggestions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

kwanfan1818
03-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Oh, Hvoro :swoon:

He was so good that George Jellinek, who almost never featured young artists on his show "The Vocal Scene" devoted a whole show to a tape of an early recital.

IoanaC
03-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Hvorostovsky is great (except when his breathing gets too loud:)), but this is a bit cringe-worthy.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uUVNihiKq9E

kwanfan1818
03-26-2013, 11:27 PM
:fragile:

dinakt
03-27-2013, 05:53 AM
:fragile:
But also :lol:. He'll rebound.

BYTCH
04-04-2013, 12:00 AM
The duets with Meade and Dolora Zajick were really great. I got a last minute ticket and got to see Norma. I've never seen it before, and enjoyed it; both the sopranos were excellent, their duet in act II was exquisite. The tenor did his best, but meh. The sets were "interesting", they kinda worked, in that they didn't get in the way, but they were certainly minimal and didn't add anything much to the story. I was in front on the left side; with the raked stage, I couldn't see what was in that big circle on the other side of the stage, where so much of the action took place.

I love those sets and costumes for the SFO Magic Flute!! Thank you for the link.

BlueRidge
04-04-2013, 12:20 AM
There are advantages to being in the second tier. I get a clear view of the whole stage. :rollin:

emason
04-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Anyone got tickets for the HD broadcast of the Met's new Giulio Cesare? Last night was opening night and its siren call was too hard for me to resist; this is spite of the fact that I already have a ticket to see it in house on the 30th. IMHO Alice Coote is the best trouser mezzo out there at the moment; she inhabits every character totally and no two are the same. Her Sesto in this production is nothing like her Sesto in the previous version, and both are sensational. She absolutely hit it out of the park last night.

IoanaC
04-05-2013, 11:01 PM
I'll be watching it in HD on the 27th and I can't wait. How did Natalie Dessay sound? I saw the live broadcast of "Tales of Hoffmann" from Liceu a few weeks ago on Mezzo and she was excellent - hopefully last season's disastruous experience with "Traviata" is behind her.
Can't wait to hear Alice Coote too. I wasn't really familiar with her before watching some clips from the "Cendrillon" production with Joyce DiDonato (which I hope to be able to see in Barcelona next January). Loved her, vocally and acting-wise. I'm sure she's going to kill "Svegliatevi nel core".:)
I would have much preferred Sarah Connoly as Cesare instead of David Daniels, but...

Is it the same David McVicar production from Glyndebourne, or a modified version?

kwanfan1818
04-05-2013, 11:20 PM
I'll be at the HD: it's one I've most been looking forward to.

I love those sets and costumes for the SFO Magic Flute!! Thank you for the link.
You're very fortunate to have this production in DC. I think it played or will play in five cities total.

I would have much preferred Sarah Connoly as Cesare instead of David Daniels, but...

Oh, yes.

emason
04-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Have to agree with all those who wish for Sarah C. It's time for the Met to get another Caesar; I've only seen Jennifer Larmore or David Daniels in the role. I want to see/hear a really good mezzo in the role.

I thought Dessay was great, but I really am in as much no teknik about opera as I am about skating. This is the Glyndebourne production; how much of it the Met has or hasn't modified I don't know. I saw it 5 years ago when Chicago Lyric did it and this is pretty much what I remembered. You can tell the difference between DeNiese (Chicago Cleopatra and also Glyndebourne I think) and Dessay though; DeNiese is a true trained dancer whereas Dessay is more mimicking (sp?) dancing. However, vocally, I thought Dessay was great. I'm very prejudiced about this production though; I loved it from the first second of it in Chicago and loved it last night. I'm really interested to hear what everyone else thinks after all of you have seen it.

I just sent a friend off to BAM to see if there are any HD tickets left even though the broadcast is only 3 days before I see it again. Can you tell that this is my favorite opera?

kwanfan1818
04-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Did you get to see Sills and Treigle? I did once, but both were announced as with whatever flu was strangling NYC at the time, and while Sills was pretty fine, Treigle wasn't :(

BlueRidge
04-06-2013, 12:16 AM
I've got my ticket for the Live in HD!

emason
04-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Did you get to see Sills and Treigle? I did once, but both were announced as with whatever flu was strangling NYC at the time, and while Sills was pretty fine, Treigle wasn't :(

No, she blushes in reply. I never saw Sills in anything, never mind Treigle. I am actually somewhat tone deaf and came to opera very late by way of ballet. At about my 25th Swan Lake or so I had a moment of epiphany - gee, the orchestra sounds slow and awful tonight; I've heard this sound so much better. It was then I knew my ear had gotten better and I could venture into the world of opera. My mother's first cousin was a world-famous bass-baritone; he got all the musical talent in the family. My mother and I got none.

ETA: I just read the Times review and I owe Dessay an apology; apparently she did train as a dancer when she was younger.

dinakt
04-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Have to agree with all those who wish for Sarah C. It's time for the Met to get another Caesar; I've only seen Jennifer Larmore or David Daniels in the role. I want to see/hear a really good mezzo in the role.

I thought Dessay was great, but I really am in as much no teknik about opera as I am about skating. This is the Glyndebourne production; how much of it the Met has or hasn't modified I don't know. I saw it 5 years ago when Chicago Lyric did it and this is pretty much what I remembered. You can tell the difference between DeNiese (Chicago Cleopatra and also Glyndebourne I think) and Dessay though; DeNiese is a true trained dancer whereas Dessay is more mimicking (sp?) dancing. However, vocally, I thought Dessay was great. I'm very prejudiced about this production though; I loved it from the first second of it in Chicago and loved it last night. I'm really interested to hear what everyone else thinks after all of you have seen it.

I just sent a friend off to BAM to see if there are any HD tickets left even though the broadcast is only 3 days before I see it again. Can you tell that this is my favorite opera?

I saw it at Glyndebourne and loved it. I thought DeNiese was fabulous. Hope it translates to the stage of Met's size ( but it did very well in Chicago, so it should)
Dessay is one of my very favorite singers- actresses... I wish I could see it.

emason
04-08-2013, 04:15 PM
I thought DeNiese was fabulous also. I butted into a conversation between an usher and a standing room only regular to offer my 2 cents worth the other night. The usher was very vocal on the subject of DeNiese; cannot stand her and only thinks she got where she is today because of her pretty face. Not my opinion at all, although I did not like DeNiese in either The Marriage of Figaro or The Enchanted Island. I did, however, absolutely love her as Cleopatra.