PDA

View Full Version : Opera Suggestions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Marge_Simpson
10-26-2012, 06:33 AM
SaSherka, have you bought a ticket yet?

SaSherka
11-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Excellent! I got my ticket, I am in Row BB, Seat 40.
SaSherka, you must get a ticket ASAP.
Who is in for dinner after the show? :)

Yes to dinner, absolutely. We are going to want to discuss the performance. IIRC, I am in row EE over on the right side; I grabbed an aisle seat because it's easier on my legs.

SaSherka, have you bought a ticket yet?

Could not find the thread post-FSU update!
Just bought a pair of 2nd row center parquet seats! Who wants to upgrade their ticket or invite a friend??? $61 with fees. Unfortunately, the $20 tickets I was hoping for are all in the Balcony, but there have been a number of returns in the orchestra, so I decided to splurge.

ETA: How rude of me! How are you dealing with the Sandy aftermath??? Hope you got spared. A lot of my friends were or still are without power.

Marge_Simpson
11-06-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm fine, and you aren't rude. :)
I'm crossing my fingers that the performance is not cancelled - AFAIK, 57th Street is still blocked off. But if they are still selling tickets, I guess that's a good sign.
Are we doing dinner afterwards?
And BTW, would you use a clutch bag if you had one? ;)

SaSherka
11-06-2012, 01:56 PM
I bought the tickets with hope that the performance is going to happen. If it is cancelled, I am sure CH will automatically refund tickets. If it's postponed, I hope it's for another weekend. Most likely no dinner or a very quick one for me as I'll have to catch the 6 or 6:30pm bus back.
Clutch? Sure :D

emason
11-07-2012, 03:36 PM
I just found out my friend Peter is also going, sitting at the other end of the row I'm in. We'll have a real entourage going soon.

Do not think this will be cancelled. I believe the crane has now been secured and people are being let back into the area.

SaSherka
11-17-2012, 07:33 PM
I am in NYC! w\Went to La Clemenza di Tito last night and really enjoyed the whole thing - gorgeous music, pretty production. First time seeing the opera (except for watching scenes and knowing some arias). Most applause for Elina Garanca, but everyone sang well. Looking forward to the HD on Dec 1.
See you at Carnegie Hall tomorrow! I am in the 2nd row (wheeeeee!) and will stay for the CD signing. I'll try to come up to dress circle during intermission. Marge, I'll PM you my # if you don't have it.

kwanfan1818
11-17-2012, 08:11 PM
I heard "Clemenza" on Sirius last night, and it sounded great.

Have a great time tomorrow at JDD everyone!

emason
11-17-2012, 09:17 PM
We will, we will. Report will follow.

SaSherka, do try to come up. Marge, my friend Peter, and I are all up in the Dress Circle somewhere. I'm EE24 on the right somewhere on the aisle IIRC.

Warning though, the elevator at Carnegie Hall is a nightmare (unless it's been overhauled recently) - long lines and slow.

Marge_Simpson
11-18-2012, 03:49 AM
Opera party! I will see everyone tomorrow. :)

SaSherka
11-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Planning to get brunch at Carnegie Cafe (or whatever the place right across from Carnegie Hall is called)

kwanfan1818
11-24-2012, 02:28 AM
So, so? How was it?

Elina Garanca was just interviewed on Sirius during the first intermission of tonight's "Aida" broadcast. She said she's making her NY recital debut (http://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2013/4/6/0700/PM/Elina-Garanca/) at Carnegie Hall in April (6th), and will be singing Schumann's "Frauenliebe und Leben," some songs by Strauss, and something that some clashing out in the alley drowned out. She's just released an album, "Romantique (http://deutschegrammophon.com/html/special/garanca-romantique/index.html)," and maybe some of the encores will come from that.

The Aida, Liudmyla Monastyrska (http://www.operatoday.com/content/2011/05/liudmyla_monast.php), sounds great over the radio.

BlueRidge
11-24-2012, 02:38 AM
I'm listening to the live stream of Aida right now. Looking forward to the Live in HD!

emason
11-24-2012, 02:58 AM
It takes a lot to upstage the great goddess that is Joyce DD, but her red dress did just that. I think it's the same one she wears in the publicity photos: first half she started off with half the dress draped over her arms like a scarf. After a brief interlude for the orchestra to play without her, when JDD came back on stage the drapes were now tied up in the back as a bustle. After the intermission, the bustle was gone, and - wait for it - the skirt now had panniers. Then there were the removable sleeves. JDD knew her costume was upstaging her, so she even made a joke of it while modeling the ensemble for the audience.

Oh, sorry, you wanted to know about the singing - brilliant, naturally. Maybe my only minor complaint would be that since most of the arias were not well-known, it was a little odd to listen to them outside the context of the operas and try to relate. Otherwise, a great afternoon at Carnegie Hall.

kwanfan1818
11-24-2012, 04:27 AM
Only JDD :lol:

I can't believe they're selling her new DVD of those arias for $6.99, $7.99 for the download.

Marge_Simpson
11-24-2012, 06:18 AM
It was glorious. I've decided I love Baroque music. :)