PDA

View Full Version : Opera Suggestions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

SaSherka
03-21-2012, 03:34 PM
(and a fun panel discussion with Anna Netrebko, Piotr Beczala and Mariusz Kwiecien during intermission - I put most of it on YouTube & will link later if I remember)

Link to the panel discussion playlist (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1720BE3371B06BE7&feature=view_all)

Also, just got this tidbit from an opera friend. Sounds like a fun night at the opera! Saturday can't come fast enough :lol:

I saw L'Elisir last Friday night. You will have a very, very good time. I am positively in love with Mariusz Kwiecien's voice, and of course his acting. If it weren't for the fact that Florez and Damrau were also in this, he would have stolen the show. He made this into a "three star" performance, not merely a vehicle for the tenor and soprano. It was a joyride from start to finish. All three of them were beyond superb and fabulous.

The Met has announced its 2012-13 season, including the Live in HD series.
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/news/press/detail.aspx?id=21214&hpgraphic

Comments? What are folks excited about seeing?
Maria Stuarda (duh, JDD and Donizetti), La Clemenza di Tito, Les Troyens, Parsifal (what a cast!), Giulio Cesare, Dialogues des Carmélites (at least for the production), Francesca da Rimini (also for the production, but not thrilled about Giordani in the cast). And I guess all of the HDs.

emason
03-21-2012, 11:17 PM
La Clemenza di Tito and Les Troyens are high on my list after Giulio Cesare. I may even order the Met subscription that includes opening night of Giulio Cesare, just to see if the production team gets booed when it takes the stage. People are either going to love it or hate; there is no in-between with this production.

kwanfan1818
03-21-2012, 11:52 PM
La Clemenza and Les Troyens are two of my favorites. I have to figure out how to get to NYC next season.

BlueRidge
03-22-2012, 12:11 AM
I'm thrilled with the Live in HD lineup for next season. The ones I'm most excited about are Giulio Cesare, La Clemenza di Tito (Elīna Garanča :swoon: ), and Les Troyens.

I have not been to a live opera since the 1980s, when I saw the Met on tour at the Kennedy Center so I'm looking forward to seeing live opera at the Ken Cen next season. I like the Washington Opera's lineup, they have Anna Bolena with Sondra Radvonovsky, Don Giovanni, Manon Lescaut with Patricia Racette, and Norma with Angela Meade.

kwanfan1818
03-22-2012, 12:15 AM
That's a fantastic lineup at Washington Opera. Meade's still young and early in her career, but she did a beautiful "Casta Diva" at her Met Council Auditions.

SaSherka
03-22-2012, 07:54 AM
We seem to agree on La Clemenza, Troyens & Giulio Cesare.
How did I miss that Meade is doing Norma at the WNO?? She sang it last summer at the Caramoor festival to glowing reviews. She is also apparently singing the role at the Met in a couple seasons. I may just make a trip to DC for it.

emason
04-14-2012, 01:14 PM
A friend invited me to Manon at the Met last Wednesday night. It can be summed up in 3 words: loved, liked, loathed. Loved the music, liked most of the singing, loathed the production. The first act set is the most boring thing I have ever seen in my life; listening to that beautiful music while having to stare at a blank pale beige wall for an hour was awful.

Didn't hate Netrebko so much as I thought I would, but didn't love her either and the production straddles her with some very vulgar moments, especially in the St. Sulpice act.

Loved the Polish tenor, Piotr Beczala (sp?); he was a new find for me and he was superb. This is a big admission for me, as I normally don't like tenors very much at all; there is something about the tenor voice range that just doesn't appeal to me aurally.

Angelskates
04-18-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm going to see Puccini's Tosca (http://www.chncpa.org/ens/ycgp/jmxx/2012-01-30/304073.shtml) at the National Centre for Performing Arts on Friday night. Reviews? What should I expect? (It's in Italian right?) I haven't been to the opera (unless you count the Chinese opera :shudder: in more than a decade, and can't even remember it...) I adore the NCPA so even if the show's terrible, I love the venue alone! Of course, I already know the music (and the story...)

kwanfan1818
04-18-2012, 01:17 AM
If that photo is the actual set, you'll see amazing sets and costumes in a traditional production.

"Tosca" is one of the shorter operas, and it's probably the most melodramatic opera of all. (The play on which it is based, by Sardou, starred Sarah Bernhardt.) It's got murder, mayhem, a :drama:, politiks, Napoleon (although not appearing on stage), torture, betrayal, :grope:, double betrayal, manipulation, abuse of power, :argue:, and the Church. Also two of the most beautiful tenor arias ever written, one in the first act and one in the third, and the end of Act I, with the counterpoint of the church service and Scarpia's outburst, roils with an enormous sound and the crashing chords that open the opera, which will be familiar from all of those "Tosca" skating programs.

emason
04-18-2012, 05:10 PM
The third act set looks amazing; I want to get right on a plane and see this.

Angelskates
04-21-2012, 02:08 AM
I saw it last night, and everything about it was spectacular. :) Loved it, and would see it again in a heartbeat.

emason
04-21-2012, 02:58 AM
I saw it last night, and everything about it was spectacular. :) Loved it, and would see it again in a heartbeat.

Very lucky you;The Met has a heinous new production which is anything but spectacular.

kwanfan1818
04-25-2012, 11:28 PM
A taste of JDD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ENjRC1oKwok#!

Sigh to not be in Houston for this...

emason
04-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Ooooooh, sigh is right.

SaSherka
04-29-2012, 03:43 AM
The reviews mentioned that the Houston production (borrowed almost last-minute from Minnesota due to original directorial team canceling) was quite boring and directionless. JDD & van Kooten were the true stars...
Wish I could go to Houston again, but I am looking forward to the Met's take.

I've been on an operatic and symphonic roll here in Boston (and at the Met), but too hard to type up tons of impressions on the phone :)