PDA

View Full Version : Opera Suggestions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Marge_Simpson
02-11-2012, 05:01 AM
I'll be on the other side of the plaza again. :P

BlueRidge
02-11-2012, 11:54 AM
No Wagner for me. I'm eagerly anticipating Ernani!

emason
02-11-2012, 01:18 PM
I went to Aida Thursday night; it's only the second one I have ever been to and I won't even say how long ago the last one was. As with the first Aida I heard, Amneris out-sang everyone else on stage - with the exception of the Met chorus. They were fantastic and the finish of the 2nd act was truly memorable. I liked the production too; it's very nice is a tasteful Cecil B. DeMille cast of thousands way. The second act was really thrilling.

PAskate
02-12-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm hoping to attend my first live Met performance this year. I have a girls weekend planned with friends from college and a Met opera is one of the possible events on the schedule. I've never see an opera live, but I have seen the Met live in the theatre. I'm seriously hoping that everyone's up for the opera. You can usually catch a Broadway road show in a city near you, but it's a lot harder to see high quality opera outside of the big cities.

reckless
02-12-2012, 07:50 AM
For anyone in Los Angeles, Goldstar still has some half-price tickets for the LA Opera's production of Simon Bocanegra, starring Placido Domingo.

The LA Opera also announced its 2012-13 season and it is getting a lot of criticism for being rather uninspired. Some of the criticism is justified, particularly when you take into account that the three war horses on the calendar -- Don Giovanni, Tosca and Madama Butterfly -- have all been performed within the past five years. I understand they are trying to play things pretty safe due to the economy, but it has made me hesitant about renewing my subscription. (I probably will renew, because I am interested in seeing the other three operas, I Due Foscari, The Flying Dutchman and La Cenerentola, and the Renee Flemming Susan Graham recital.)

SaSherka
02-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Saw a fabulous production of Jacques Offenbach's La Périchole at New England Conservatory yesterday. So much fun! Very colorful production, excellent comedic timing and lovely singing from all the students.

Oh, and Joyce DiDonato won a Grammy for her Diva/Divo CD the day before her birthday. This fangirl is beyond thrilled! :D

kwanfan1818
02-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Not NYC, but I just got a fundraising email from Seattle Opera for the 2013 Ring Cycle, and it was entitled, "A Message from Wotan" :lol:

Listening to Diva/Divo right now, in JDD's honor.

SaSherka
02-27-2012, 02:10 AM
No Wagner for me. I'm eagerly anticipating Ernani!

And how did you like it, assuming you went to the HD yesterday?

I opted for a last-minute standing room ticket, but sat down after the 1st scene as the orchestra was only about 3/4 full. Loved hearing Angela Meade live for the 1st time and I look forward to her future roles. Something was missing in Hvorostovsky's singing, but not in Furlanetto's (liked him more here than in Faust) Giordani was the weakest link: he sounded ok solo, but not in duets, esp. with Meade. I wonder how it all sounded in HD?
I also got in to see the quiz during 1st intermission and Diana Damrau was the lovely guest hostess. She then stayed to watch Joyce DiDonato interview Furlanetto & Hvorostovsky on the HD broadcast (The Met apparently now shows interviews on TVs on the orch level :)

BlueRidge
02-27-2012, 12:25 PM
I did see it, notwithstanding I couldn't get anyone to go with me after my father had to stay home due to hip surgery (We're both making it to Manon!).

I really liked Angela Meade and I look forward to seeing more of her.

I am not a fan of Giordani and I think that the impact of the entire opera was lessened by not having a tenor who could make a real impact. I don't really get why he is cast in so many roles at the Met.

I liked Hvorostovsky. I thought Furlanetto was great.

BlueRidge
02-27-2012, 01:24 PM
The Met has announced its 2012-13 season, including the Live in HD series.
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/news/press/detail.aspx?id=21214&hpgraphic

Comments? What are folks excited about seeing?

emason
02-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Giulio Cesare is my favorite opera, and if the Met is getting a new production, then I am beyond thrilled.

SaSherka
03-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Got an extra ticket to Khovanshchina tomorrow at the Met. Good, but cheap orchestra seat. Any takers?

I went to see Ernani HD encore to compare how the same performance would come across on the screen. Definitely more interesting to see costumes up close (but production is still boring). Hvorostovsky came out better on screen, Meade & Furlanetto were little worse than live: their voices carried better in house! Still didn't like Giordani. It's a shame when the title character is the weakest link vocally. Sirius had a broadcast yesterday of the same production when it premiered in 1983, with Pavarotti as Ernani. WHAT a HUGE difference!

On our local scene, Boston Lyric Opera put up a very well-done production of Barber of Seville. A perfect mix of singing, acting, stage directing! So good that I am coming back on Sunday to see it again after seeing the final dress rehearsal :)

BlueRidge
03-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Got an extra ticket to Khovanshchina tomorrow at the Met. Good, but cheap orchestra seat. Any takers?

Oh my, I wish!

I got myself a ticket for the Washington Opera full series next season so I will be seeing some live opera!

emason
03-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Oh my, I wish too, but I can't. A friend went last week and has been raving about how good it was.

SaSherka
03-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Was able to find another opera lover for that extra ticket. Loved everything about the opera - music, singing, production (and a fun panel discussion with Anna Netrebko, Piotr Beczala and Mariusz Kwiecien during intermission - I put most of it on YouTube & will link later if I remember)
Now I am looking forward to L'Elisir d'Amore on Sat with a fantastic cast - Florez, Damrau, Kwiecien & Corbelli :) Squeee!