PDA

View Full Version : Grey's Anatomy Thread - 2009

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

pixie cut
11-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I'd much rather them continue with that then have all the :drama: over the Chief - a character who's been portrayed so badly this season, I no longer care about.

About the only character I find myself caring about this season is Alex. Justin Chambers' performances have been touching. Everyone else is being handed bad dialog and seem to be doing it with no energy. This show is a mess. Shondra Rhimes -- deflate your ego for a minute and try to fix it.

*Jen*
11-14-2009, 04:05 PM
I can also appreciate they don't have him as a slobbering, incoherent drunk like they have shown Meredith and Lexie's dad to be during his relapses. There are functioning drunks. If you don't know them or their problem then you miss it.

That's an excellent point.

I know people fall off the wagon, but I wish that there was a TV show that could have a character's problem with alchohol as just a fact, a backstory, and not a plot. The moment we found out about it way back in series 1 or 2, I knew that it was just a matter or time before he fell off the wagon, and that annoys me.

Meredith noticed it though. She know's he's an alchoholic now, after he liver thing, right? I wonder what, if anything, she'll do.

About the only character I find myself caring about this season is Alex. Justin Chambers' performances have been touching. Everyone else is being handed bad dialog and seem to be doing it with no energy. This show is a mess. Shondra Rhimes -- deflate your ego for a minute and try to fix it.

ITA. I love Alex.

discoduck
11-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Justin Chambers is 147 kinds of amazing. It's a shame that they don't give him more to do. Alex has grown so much over the course of the show but we know next to nothing about him. Hell, we know more about Owen and Arizona than we do Alex who is an original character.

pixie cut
11-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Justin Chambers is 147 kinds of amazing. It's a shame that they don't give him more to do. Alex has grown so much over the course of the show but we know next to nothing about him. Hell, we know more about Owen and Arizona than we do Alex who is an original character.

I think we know a bit about Alex. He comes from Iowa. His father was an alcoholic and his mother battled depression. He went to college on a wrestling scholarship. He developed a hard edge because of his crappy childhood. His father is apparently still alive, but he has no contact with him. He was a creep with women until he fell for Izzie.

This is what I know about Arizona -- Kate Capshaw is a crappy actress and the character is so passive aggressive I want to choke her. The way Arizona has been written (probably due to the crappy actress) has made me not particularly like Callie, who previously was an incredibly sympathetic character you rooted for. Callie treats Cristina like dirt because Arizona is pissed that Cristina tried to get on her service. What a selfish, snotty, self-absorbed person Arizona is. She's all about loving the kids, try showing some understanding and compassion for another adult, rather than trashing her. The first words that were written for Arizona to say to Teddy was something snotty about Cristina.

As for Owen, I don't think the writers know what they want to make him. They wrote him really well as a tortured vet with PTSD, but now that he's recovering he borders between bewildered and a-hole.

Alex is the one character right now that truly makes sense. Bravo, Justin Chambers is getting his moment!

mkats
11-14-2009, 07:45 PM
I think we know a bit about Alex. He comes from Iowa. His father was an alcoholic and his mother battled depression. He went to college on a wrestling scholarship. He developed a hard edge because of his crappy childhood. His father is apparently still alive, but he has no contact with him. He was a creep with women until he fell for Izzie.

And he lied on his application to Seattle Grace, pretending to have had cancer and only one testicle (which Lexie Grey knows is not true. ;) )

Meredith
11-14-2009, 09:33 PM
And he lied on his application to Seattle Grace, pretending to have had cancer and only one testicle (which Lexie Grey knows is not true. ;) )

And despite that, hand Justin Chambers a child and magic occurs. His eyes almost imperceptibly light up and his body language changes. He has a hard edge, but Alex is my favorite character in the series.

*Jen*
11-15-2009, 12:02 AM
And despite that, hand Justin Chambers a child and magic occurs. His eyes almost imperceptibly light up and his body language changes. He has a hard edge, but Alex is my favorite character in the series.

I wonder if that's to do with Justin Chambers having 5 children himself, than his abilities as an actor or his character. But either way, it's good :)

Meredith
11-15-2009, 03:13 PM
I wonder if that's to do with Justin Chambers having 5 children himself, than his abilities as an actor or his character. But either way, it's good :)

I think the actor's comfort around children has everything to do with what comes across on the screen. I agree. It's such a bonus.

Latte
11-15-2009, 08:31 PM
I've really had enough of the chief, retire him and give the job to someone else.
I wish it could be Bailly, but she hasn't the experience.
Will probably be McDreamy and McSteamy fighting it out for the job.

pixie cut
11-15-2009, 09:14 PM
I've really had enough of the chief, retire him and give the job to someone else.
I wish it could be Bailly, but she hasn't the experience.
Will probably be McDreamy and McSteamy fighting it out for the job.

I think this show is running out of steam. Chances are it will sputter to a close before it gets to that point.

Andora
11-16-2009, 03:01 AM
Bailey isn't ready to be Chief? Because, to me, she's the only one in that hospital who's shown the ability to run anything without losing her mind at the drop of drama. Plus, everyone listens to her.

:shuffle: I like Arizona. I didn't realize she was so awful and the actress was terrible. It's nice to have a chipper character who isn't Izzie. Who I still adore, but everytime they make her out to be a "bright and shiny" person, I'm kinda lost. :P I also don't really like Kim Raver in general, though, so...

Satellitegirl
11-16-2009, 06:04 PM

Yeah that's how I've felt for most of this season as well. And I swear if they put Alex with lil miss mousie I will not be happy.

*Jen*
11-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Bailey isn't ready to be Chief? Because, to me, she's the only one in that hospital who's shown the ability to run anything without losing her mind at the drop of drama. Plus, everyone listens to her.

I think they mean in terms of seniority. Bailey has only just been made an attending...I think she needs to be an attending for at least a few years, non?

I agree though - she's the best leader.

Latte
11-17-2009, 09:31 PM
I think they mean in terms of seniority. Bailey has only just been made an attending...I think she needs to be an attending for at least a few years, non?

I agree though - she's the best leader.

Yeah, that is what I meant.

mkats
11-18-2009, 02:18 AM
Can someone remind me... whatever happened to Sydney Heron? I remember she sort of briefly dated Derek and then told him that they weren't right for each other and I think that's the last we've seen of her. Did she officially get written off or have they just not mentioned her for awhile?