PDA

View Full Version : Grey's Anatomy Thread - 2009

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

pixie cut
10-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Thoughts on last night's episode? Mine include dull, predicable and other words we're not allowed to use on FSU.

You know in a few weeks, after Ms. Heigl is done making her next cliched romantic comedy, they'll find out guy in orange scrubs altered the patient's chart and she'll be welcomed back.

I didn't even like Cristina's breakdown. It was overdone, which is so not Sandra Oh. That's how the director wanted her to play it. The point is valid, but it was just :blah:

The only scene I liked was Arizona and Mr. Torres.

nerdycool
10-16-2009, 04:29 PM
I thought it was interesting, although I didn't like how they made all the Mercy West people devil's spawn. Sure, there could have been one, but ALL of them?

I thought Christina's breakdown was very believable. She's not one to show her emotions, and she's been "lost" ever since Burke left, so it finally came to her breaking point last night. If being a heart surgeon is all she's ever dreamed of, then not working with hearts is frustrating. And add to that that she can't even get an appendectomy, and that Owen is seemingly going out of his way to make sure people know he's not playing favorites... I think I'd be upset, too.

And Izzie... I can't say I'm surprised. I really felt for Alex though. I would have totally given him a hug. And for those that don't watch Private Practice, they continued the kidney patient storyline there, with Bailey appearing.

Loved the Callie/Arizona storyline, especially when Callie was reciting the Bible back at her father. Really took the wind out of his sails.

Speaking of Private Practice... I thought it was interesting that Sam was a heart surgeon all of a sudden. Could I be smelling a move to Seattle for him?

pixie cut
10-16-2009, 04:35 PM
I thought Christina's breakdown was very believable. She's not one to show her emotions, and she's been "lost" ever since Burke left, so it finally came to her breaking point last night. If being a heart surgeon is all she's ever dreamed of, then not working with hearts is frustrating. And add to that that she can't even get an appendectomy, and that Owen is seemingly going out of his way to make sure people know he's not playing favorites... I think I'd be upset, too.

I'm not saying I didn't believe the breakdown. I didn't believe how they played it. Sandra Oh has always most effectively portrayed Cristina's emotions in a subtle fashion. You read it in her face and it hits you. She doesn't just wail. She could have said everything she said in a controlled way, showing that she's broken by the frustration.

Also, I know they pretaped scenes with Ellen Pompeo, but some of that would have been better played with Owen. I keep wanting her to say to him, "I had your back so many times, but you never have mine."

LadyNit
10-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Finally watched this last week's episode. Glad Izzie got the boot. Not so glad to read the theory here that she'll be back after her movie gig ends. ugh to the max. They continue to write her as such an unsympathetic character--ditching out on Alex, the self centered bitch. meh.

(heeeheee. Izzie = a character I was born to hate. ;))

*Jen*
10-20-2009, 04:20 AM
I don't like Izzie either, although I heard it's maternity leave with her adopted baby, not a movie. I'm fairly sure she'll be back at some point.

A question though - she did screw up, didn't she? Because I watched the bit where she gave the instructions again, and she did order a zero K bath (with 3.4 filtration or something). I don't know if the latter bit of info makes the difference, or if she did in fact screw up.

And the chief :wall: I don't like him. He's useless now.

screech
10-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I have to say that Grey's is the most ingenious show for writing in maternity leaves. Ellen Pompeo is still on but resting and just not in action - genius. Izzy's reason for leaving for a bit is believable too, so Katherine she gets to spend some time with her child. Most shows do kind of silly ways - I think Grey's is being clever.

ArtisticFan
10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't like Izzie either, although I heard it's maternity leave with her adopted baby, not a movie. I'm fairly sure she'll be back at some point.

She had already been granted leave when word came that she and her husband could adopt the baby. There was an interview with her in People magazine I believe where she said it was lucky timing. The only reason I remember it was because my cousin had her ATI appointment for adoption in Taiwan the same week.

And yes Screech I too am almost impressed with the way that Grey's is writing characters out. They could have easily done the old I'm going to visit a sick relative thing. I was anticipating something like that - as if we aren't supposed to realize someone is missing from the cast. At least this is a little more believable.

ETA: The only one I didn't like how they wrote out was George. Getting hit by a bus was a bit much.

pixie cut
10-20-2009, 02:01 PM
A question though - she did screw up, didn't she? Because I watched the bit where she gave the instructions again, and she did order a zero K bath (with 3.4 filtration or something). I don't know if the latter bit of info makes the difference, or if she did in fact screw up.

We don't know for sure. I am guessing that will be the twist. In two months or so, I'm guessing it will be discovered the other resident (new guy from Mercy West) either gave her bogus labs or at the very least heard her instructions and knew they were incorrect, but didn't advise her so she'd screw up.

discoduck
10-20-2009, 03:48 PM

Yeah she did. The patient's potassium level was 3.4 according to what Bailey said and the low end of normal is 3.5. Renal patients usually run high so the fact that the patient's was low was rather odd in the first place. By putting no potassium in the dialysis solution, Izzie depleted all that the woman had which threw her heart into cardiac arrest. Although the rhythm she had was more indicative of low magnesium but I'm nitpicking there. :lol:

That's why I'm wondering if it's going to turn out that the intern gave her the wrong results. End stage renal patients don't usually have a potassium that low but then again I could be wrong.

Satellitegirl
10-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I really liked last night's episode. Different. That and it didn't have a lot of Meredith in it, which was also good. Her story lines have been annoying lately, so it's nice to see some others getting more screen time.

HeatherC
10-23-2009, 04:58 PM
I liked last night's ep too. It was kind of like a murder mystery. I enjoyed trying to figure out whodunit and it was also interesting to follow one story from several different points of view. I honestly didn't catch the mistake when it originally happened but when the Chief kept asking the one girl how the patient's throat looked, I was like, OH, she never checked her throat and that's what started the whole thing. Great episode overall. :)

kimkom
10-23-2009, 05:46 PM
I was on my laptop when it started, but I had to turn it off. If you missed a second, you were lost! Great episode!

Allskate
10-23-2009, 05:49 PM
I missed the part where Izzie left. What reason did they give for her leaving?

pixie cut
10-23-2009, 05:56 PM
I missed the part where Izzie left. What reason did they give for her leaving?

Izzie was fired. Although the chief said it was budgetary when he fired her -- as directed by someone from human resources -- technically she was fired for nearly killing a patient. Of course, we don't know if someone sabotaged her. Big guy who passed out last night is kind of creepy and repeatedly justifies sabotaging other residents.

I thought the episode was okay. Not good, not bad. Just okay. A huge part of Grey's is the deep characters, but that's been pushed to the side. I'm sure Shondra Rhimes thinks it's because she's showing the chaos of the merger. She always has excuses for everything that falls flat. But while you're trying to tell that story, you're sacrificing the show's main appeal.

What was the deal with Lexie sobbing over the teenager with the burns? While they've shown her to be a touch emotional in the past, she teared up over the lone survivor of the college kids in van accident, she's never been rendered unable to do her job. Huge injustice to her character just to force a plot.

Allskate
10-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the Izzie explanation.

What was the deal with Lexie sobbing over the teenager with the burns? While they've shown her to be a touch emotional in the past, she teared up over the lone survivor of the college kids in van accident, she's never been rendered unable to do her job. Huge injustice to her character just to force a plot.

Maybe it was because the teenager was asking for his father and Lexie just had all those problems with her father?