PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67

star_gazer11
06-12-2010, 02:12 AM
My fave Ken Follett books are The Pillars of the Earth (which will air as an eight hour miniseries in July, with excellent cast, yay (http://www.the-pillars-of-the-earth.tv/)), Hornet Flight, Code to Zero, and Jackdaws.

I haven't read all of his backlist but note not all books are in the same vein: there's historical fiction (Pillars), WW II thrillers (Jackdaws and Hornet Flight), and more contemporary-set thrillers.

I don't think I've read Eye of the Needle, but I did not like The Hammer of Eden. He also has a new book coming out this fall which is the first of a new trilogy.

I've finished YA book Scarlett Fever by Maureen Johnson, which I didn't realize was only the second of a planned trilogy. Good, but left me wanting that third book already.

Prancer
06-12-2010, 03:11 AM
I don't think I've read Eye of the Needle,

It's a WWII spy novel. I remember the movie better than the book, which is unusual for me. The movie is actually quite good, IIRC.

I've finished YA book Scarlett Fever by Maureen Johnson, which I didn't realize was only the second of a planned trilogy. Good, but left me wanting that third book already.

Maureen Johnson is on a list of authors I have for my daughter, who is a little hard to buy books for, but I don't know much about her. The one book I found on the shelf at B&N looked a little bit mature for her (she just turned 14 and is a rather youngish 14). What do you like about Johnson?

Wyliefan
06-12-2010, 03:16 AM
I absolutely love Brideshead Revisited, and yet I haven't been able to enjoy anything else by Waugh. It's very odd. That one is so rich with meaning and nostalgia . . . and yet all his other work comes across as hollow and brittle to me.

On a very different note, if you're looking for something just plain funny, Dave Barry's new book I'll Mature When I'm Dead is great. :D The audiobook is especially good because he does the reading himself (for the first time, I think; I have earlier audiobooks of his that were read by others). I just finished listening to the chapter with his sample 24 script -- it's a classic.

star_gazer11
06-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Maureen Johnson is on a list of authors I have for my daughter, who is a little hard to buy books for, but I don't know much about her. The one book I found on the shelf at B&N looked a little bit mature for her (she just turned 14 and is a rather youngish 14). What do you like about Johnson?

Her sense of humour and dialogue.

I enjoyed Girl at Sea, Suite Scarlett and Scarlett Fever and I've read recommendations for 13 Little Blue Envelopes as well. The Key to the Golden Firebird I'm completely blanking on and don't remember though.

If the cover you thought might be too mature was the hardcover Suite Scarlett (http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780439899277/Suite-Scarlett), the paperback cover (http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780545096324/Suite-Scarlett) is tamer.

Prancer
06-12-2010, 07:21 AM
Her sense of humour and dialogue.

I enjoyed Girl at Sea, Suite Scarlett and Scarlett Fever and I've read recommendations for 13 Little Blue Envelopes as well. The Key to the Golden Firebird I'm completely blanking on and don't remember though.

If the cover you thought might be too mature was the hardcover Suite Scarlett (http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780439899277/Suite-Scarlett), the paperback cover (http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780545096324/Suite-Scarlett) is tamer.

It wasn't the cover, but the blurb on the back that made me think she would like it more in a couple of years than she would now--although, of course, I don't remember which book it was.

I found Johnson while looking for books with humor, so it's good to know there really is some!

rfisher
06-12-2010, 04:01 PM
I thought there was another Carolyn Haines fan besides myself. Her new Sarah Booth novel will be released on the 22nd. :cheer: The title is Bone Appetit.

4skating
06-12-2010, 10:01 PM
I thought there was another Carolyn Haines fan besides myself. Her new Sarah Booth novel will be released on the 22nd. :cheer: The title is Bone Appetit.

Oooh, that would be me, rfisher! I'll look forward to reading it later this month.

BTW, if there are any Martha Grimes/Richard Jury series fans, I recently finished the latest one, The Black Cat. I enjoyed it, although there wasn't enough of Richard's "gang" for my taste. (If this has already been discussed, I apologize--I just looked in on this thread after months away, saw the good news, and had to respond.

shells
06-13-2010, 02:15 AM
I've bought a lot of books in the past two weeks. I need to stop going in to visit people I know who work in bookstores! I get talking to them, they suggest things and then I go home with the damned books. At least today I refused to buy the hardcovers they were suggesting.

First was Wanted (the last book in the Pretty Little Liars series), then The Sugar Queen in hardcover (because I wanted it in hardcover even though I already own it in paperback - thankfully it was a bargain book), then Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, and now Now Eat This (by the title I'm sure you can tell this is a cookbook) and Shine Like Stars.

Despite all the money I spent, it was good to talk to all those booksellers, I've missed them.

IceAlisa
06-13-2010, 04:35 AM
I am now a proud owner of Kurt Vonnegut's "A man without a country". It was on the bargain books pile for $5.99 and I couldn't resist.

Matryeshka
06-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Alan Bradley has a new Flavia novel out--The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Purse. I can't wait to start it tonight! :cheer2:

PrincessLeppard
06-14-2010, 12:12 PM
The adoration of Jenna Fox was pretty good. I thought it was bit simplistic for YA lit, and the ending is a bit rushed. Interesting story, though.

Karina1974
06-15-2010, 12:17 AM
I just started The Witch of Cologne by Tobsha Learner. Jewish midwife is accused of heresy during the Inquisition. It's fiction, but does include real historical figures among the characters. Turns out the Inquisitor used to be music tutor to the midwife's mother, whose family were conversos, Jews who practiced their religion in secret while giving the appearance of having converted to Catholicism.

Prancer
06-15-2010, 12:28 AM
The adoration of Jenna Fox was pretty good. I thought it was bit simplistic for YA lit, and the ending is a bit rushed. Interesting story, though.

ITA. I appreciate that it put complex ideas into simple terms, but I wasn't sure if that was because the author is a poet and so is geared to convey more with less or if it was because the story is told from Jenna's POV and her reasoning ability is developing for most of the story. I lean toward the former, just because of her use of imagery.

There was a Q&A with the author in the back of my copy, and she said that the story was originally intended to end with Jenna looking at her future with uncertainty, but the author was unhappy with that and one day the ending came to her in its entirety while she was working out.

I thought her first idea was better :shuffle:. I prefer ambiguous endings where you can imagine your own outcome (plus I thought that it basically dismissed all the moral and ethical issues that were raised in one blithe wave of "They worked it all out," when it is obvious that they couldn't have). It seemed a lot like the ending of the Harry Potter series.

Wyliefan
06-15-2010, 02:52 AM
Just started Jane Austen Ruined My Life, which is light and fluffy and, I think, just what I need after finishing that massive Edith Wharton biography. Holy Moses, that thing was exhausting. It's very well done, but I don't think I would recommend it unless you're the kind of stickler who wants to know about every stick of furniture the lady owned and every flower she ever raised in every garden she ever had, and every person she ever met. :slinkaway

Evilynn
06-15-2010, 08:52 AM
A friend gave me Tad Willams' Shadowmarch (http://www.amazon.com/Shadowmarch-I-Tad-Williams/dp/0756403596/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276588297&sr=8-1)the other day, and since it's slightly less heavy (weight, not theme) than Spirits in the Wires, it's now my subway literature. :P