PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
06-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Still reading Blonde and now JCO is bringing the creepy. The chapter where Marilyn has an abortion completely freaked me out, even more so than those two stories you linked, Prancer.

:scream:

I do admire the writing, though. It was so evocative that it felt you were having the procedure yourself. Scary and brilliant.

shells
06-07-2010, 02:18 AM
I've been reading some of my kids' books that sound interesting; there's some really good YA fiction out there.

There really is. The only problem I have with it is that I burn through it in a couple of hours and then I don't have anything to read again. And, since I don't like to read used books, it costs me a lot of money. At least when I read adult fiction it usually takes me a couple of days to get through a book.

rfisher
06-07-2010, 02:29 AM
Jean Auel's 6th book is already number 6 on the Border's pre-order best seller list and it won't be published until the end of March 2011. Her publisher is probably in an ecstasy coma. And it was probably written by her son since she's like a hundred now. It'll be interesting to see if the old girl still writes those hot sex scenes.

Prancer
06-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Still reading Blonde and now JCO is bringing the creepy. The chapter where Marilyn has an abortion completely freaked me out, even more so than those two stories you linked, Prancer.

Those stories were from her early work. She's gotten both more and less creepy over the years--more in the sense that there's this blackness in her work that seems to seep into your bones as opposed to the more overt blackness of her earlier work, and less in that she explores broader themes.

Have you ever seen pictures of her? She (usually) looks like someone who would write the books she does:

http://peonymoon.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/joyce-carol-oates-on-writing-poetry/
http://www.maryellenmark.com/text/magazines/nytimes%20magazine/images/202T-008-040.JPEG

There really is. The only problem I have with it is that I burn through it in a couple of hours and then I don't have anything to read again. And, since I don't like to read used books, it costs me a lot of money. At least when I read adult fiction it usually takes me a couple of days to get through a book.

I used to read a book a day. Alas, now I have so much other stuff to read that I read maybe a book a week when I'm working. Yet I still seem to spend a lot of money on books.

Last week of term, thank god. Two more batches of papers and final exams, and then I am done for a while and can read something interesting.

IceAlisa
06-07-2010, 03:10 AM
Those stories were from her early work. She's gotten both more and less creepy over the years--more in the sense that there's this blackness in her work that seems to seep into your bones as opposed to the more overt blackness of her earlier work, and less in that she explored broader themes.
She seems to have gotten more masterful and subtle if I can judge just from those few works. Rah rah rah JCO!!!
And yes, that's exactly how I felt, like it insidiously seeped into my bones, or worse yet, I was the one experiencing the procedure, the cold instruments, the isolation. That is a serious talent. :eek:

That's the only chapter that was extremely creepy so far. There are more explicit but somehow less powerful incidents of creepiness as well as lesser and subtler shades of it throughout the book here and there but that's not the main focus. I feel like I am getting on the very inside of MM's mind as JCO imagined her.

And I am appalled at some amazon reviewers who claim JCO hated MM because she was jealous of her beauty and JCO herself was "beaten with an ugly stick" to quote one idiot. This is the most respectful but more importantly the most compassionate account of her life I've read.

Prancer
06-07-2010, 03:24 AM
And I am appalled at some amazon reviewers who claim JCO hated MM because she was jealous of her beauty and JCO herself was "beaten with an ugly stick" to quote one idiot. This is the most respectful but more importantly the most compassionate account of her life I've read.

A lot of people have a very visceral, negative response to Oates.

I think she looks like someone who would have written gothic novels in the 19th century. She nearly always looks out of place and time to me, very otherwordly, like someone who lives in perpetual shadows.

IceAlisa
06-07-2010, 03:33 AM
A lot of people have a very visceral, negative response to Oates.

I think she looks like someone who would have written gothic novels in the 19th century. She nearly always looks out of place and time to me, very otherwordly, like someone who lives in perpetual shadows.

To me she looks very ordinary, a harmless looking lady but what a mind.

I could actually easily imagine her in 19th century garb. Didn't she in fact write something gothic? Although here (http://southamptonwriters07.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/joycecaroloates.jpg) she looks very roaring 20s.

Prancer
06-07-2010, 03:42 AM
I could actually easily imagine her in 19th century garb. Didn't she in fact write something gothic?

She wrote a Gothic trilogy, but in my mind, she looks most like the author of A Bloodsmoor Romance (http://www.amazon.com/Bloodsmoor-Romance-Joyce-Carol-Oates/dp/0446308250).

You should read that one.

my little pony
06-07-2010, 03:44 AM
you guys need a club where you mail the books back and forth to each other

Matryeshka
06-07-2010, 03:46 AM
I really don't like Oates. I always feel like there's something more I'm supposed to be getting and am just not smart enough to get. And I don't like her characters. :slinkaway

Prancer
06-07-2010, 03:49 AM
I really don't like Oates. I always feel like there's something more I'm supposed to be getting and am just not smart enough to get. And I don't like her characters. :slinkaway

They're usually not at all likeable.

I think most of her books are like the films of David Lynch. (http://www.rinkworks.com/movieaminute/m/davidlynch.shtml)--you have to like that sort of thing.

IceAlisa
06-07-2010, 03:52 AM
She wrote a Gothic trilogy, but in my mind, she looks most like the author of A Bloodsmoor Romance (http://www.amazon.com/Bloodsmoor-Romance-Joyce-Carol-Oates/dp/0446308250).

You should read that one.

:lol: Another bookworm friend of mine has recommended this so it's on my wishlist. Thank you!

I need another job to pay for my book habit.

IceAlisa
06-07-2010, 03:54 AM
I think most of her books are like the films of David Lynch. (http://www.rinkworks.com/movieaminute/m/davidlynch.shtml)--you have to like that sort of thing.

Ooh, I loved Mulholland Drive. Do the two go hand in hand? :lol:

shells
06-07-2010, 04:08 AM
I used to read a book a day. Alas, now I have so much other stuff to read that I read maybe a book a week when I'm working. Yet I still seem to spend a lot of money on books.

This is what I miss most about the bookstore - I could read the books for free. And yes, it wasn't uncommon for me to spend a day off doing nothing but reading whatever book I'd borrowed. Now? Not so much. Today for instance I spent the entire day at the computer doing work things. (with small breaks for internet time of course :lol:)

I need another job to pay for my book habit.

If you're actually serious about this? Try Borders or Barnes & Noble. I have no idea if they let staff borrow the books like I used to be able to, but at the very least they must offer an employee discount. Cheap books are nice too.

IceAlisa
06-07-2010, 04:32 AM
If you're actually serious about this? Try Borders or Barnes & Noble. I have no idea if they let staff borrow the books like I used to be able to, but at the very least they must offer an employee discount. Cheap books are nice too.

:P I would make a horrible book store employee. I'd sit in the corner reading all day, not wanting to be disturbed.