PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
09-30-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't find Scarpetta gory at all. Yes, she does autopsies, but they are very clinical and they ARE all about the intellectual unraveling of the mystery, just from a forensic standpoint. That's the good news. I don't mind autopsies at all, it's the deliberately gory stuff that makes me :scream:

Having said that, I think Patricia Cornwell is one of the worst writers I have ever had the displeasure of reading. I know a lot of people love her, but I think they must love things other than her writing style.
And the bad news. Is she as bad as Dan Brown?

Prancer
09-30-2009, 07:41 PM
And the bad news. Is she as bad as Dan Brown?

Well, no. No one is as bad as Dan Brown. :lol:

I'd suggest getting Postmortem out of the library and seeing what you think. Knowing your tastes, I don't think you'll like her. But you won't know until you try.

IceAlisa
09-30-2009, 07:42 PM

I'd suggest getting Postmortem out of the library and seeing what you think. Knowing your tastes, I don't think you'll like her. But you won't know until you try.

I was thinking exactly the same: the library. :) Thanks!

Fergus
09-30-2009, 07:56 PM
No one is as bad as Dan Brown.

I wish someone would tell that to the 1000+ patrons with the new one on reserve.

It takes 5 minutes to load the reservation request page when it should take 5 seconds.

[end of whiney librarian rant] ;)

Holley Calmes
09-30-2009, 11:51 PM

Isn't that the truth? His books all read like movie treatments. It's like a late-20th century disease that continues today. I think many authors just want to make a gazillion dollars selling their book to the movie industry, so they bypass creating literature and just go ahead and write up a movie treatment to make it easier for Hollywood to green light their project.

On another note..."The White Queen" is ending better than it started. Not great, but tolerable. I just can't imagine what has happened to this writer...her books are getting increasingly dull....and her subjects unlikeable. Either be a saint or a villain, but be interesting!

rfisher
10-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Cornwall's early books were much better. When she resurrected Benton, she lost all credibility.

I'd recommend Kathy Reich if you're looking for something along the lines of Cornwall. Reich is the author behind the Bones TV series, but her books are very different. She's a forensic anthropologist. Again, earlier is better than after she became a best seller.

Orable
10-01-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm currently reading Ian Rankin's The Naming of the Dead. It's the first Rankin I've read and I get the sense that he suffers from "book-cranking-itis." I can imagine how the detective was probably quite interesting in the first few books of the series, but this book is just boring and predictable. Very little character development.

Next on my list are two non-fictions on Islam in France: Integrating Islam: Political & Religious Challenges in Contemporary France published by Brookings and Why the French Don't Like Headscarves: Islam, the State and Public Space. Should be fun! :P

Holley Calmes
10-01-2009, 03:25 AM
I love Kathy Reich! She's one that I will wait until her latest is out in paperback, but I read them all. Truly like her heroine, the heroine's boyfriend, her ex husband, her daughter, and her boss in Montreal.

OK, just finished "White Queen." It galloped to an ending that I wish had kept going. Oh that the first 150 pages had been as intriguing!...But it does hold promise for the next couple of books in the series. The White Queen main character is very poorly thought out, but her daughter Elizabeth actually came to life within the last 30 pages and bodes well. In all, not her best book at all, but I will be looking forward to the sequel.

meggonzo
10-01-2009, 03:41 AM
Has anyone read Bel Canto by Ann Patchett? Peeps on Facebook mentioned it by I am wondering if I would like it--some of the amazon reviews seem pretty scathing.

I just read Bel Canto a few months ago. It was ok, but I didn't really get drawn into it though. It took me longer than normal to get through it. One of my friends recommended it to me though, so she must have liked it, right?

PrincessLeppard
10-01-2009, 07:48 PM

True. But I like his crap anyway. :P

Like most authors, Patricia Cornwell started well, and then it all went into the toilet about the fifth book, I think. But if you like the first one, I do recommend the first three, at least. :)

Prancer
10-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Like most authors, Patricia Cornwell started well, and then it all went into the toilet about the fifth book, I think. But if you like the first one, I do recommend the first three, at least. :)

I thought the first book was bad. :shuffle: I think I read the second one in case I was wrong.

My husband is reading Dan Brown's latest right now and isn't thrilled so far.

Nomad
10-01-2009, 11:18 PM
My husband is reading Dan Brown's latest right now and isn't thrilled so far.

My brother calls Dan Brown's work "dead tree TV."

Kasey
10-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Just finished "The Alchemist" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alchemist_(novel)) by Paulo Coehlo. I guess an internationally known book that's been around for 20 years or so that somehow I had never heard of. It was sweet, it was new-Agey "find your inner spirit and become one with the universe" stuff. There were a few lines that really stuck with me. But I think it will be one requiring re-reading at some point to figure out what I really think of it.

Halfway through "The Night Buffalo" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Buffalo) which is VERY absorbing, even without really likeable characters, and quite twisted. One of those books I picked up on the clearance table at Borders for like, $2.99.

shells
10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
I can't believe how long it took me to read through the book I finally finished yesterday. I really liked it, it's just that it took me forever to read it. It was written in the 60's so I was having a hard time relating to a lot of it. For instance...two of the main characters were spies. They were working together and had to set up a network so they could pass messages back and forth. My first thought upon reading it was 'why don't they just get some pay as you go cell phones....Oh...they didn't exsist then' :lol: I think it would make a good movie, though I'm sure they'd update it ala Bourne Identity.

So, now I'm on the lookout for the next thing to read...I'm thinking I might give Moby Dick a try, simply because I've never read it before. If that doesn't go as planned then I'm going to read the first book in The Vampire Diaries series.

ETA: My favourite of the Kay Scarpetta books is The Body Farm.

Buzz
10-05-2009, 02:28 AM
Someone gave me a copy of The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti. It is her first novel I believe and is a Charles Dickens type of novel. Looking forward to reading it since I LOVE this type of books.