PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
06-01-2010, 05:29 AM
GWTDT-Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Forgot the "The", so technically it's TGWTDT.

Going to check out the Wallender series, thanks!

Marge_Simpson
06-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Wallander fans in the NYC area should know that Scandinavia House has been showing all the films...they just finished the first 2 series and will start up again soon. I was only able to see 4 of them but they were all excellent.

IceAlisa
06-01-2010, 05:58 AM
I am 1/3 of the way through Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates and I want more! I have The Gravedigger's Daughter on my shelf and have just put Faithless (a collection of short stories) on my wish list.

Any other Oates suggestions?

Michalle
06-01-2010, 06:04 AM
The PBS series of Wallander is amazing... it is really hilarious though the approach they took by keeping Sweden as the setting but with no effort for the actors to try to be Swedish in any way - they use their own accents, very British slang. I know that this happens a lot - I mean, Hamlet is set in Denmark but it's not like people perform it in faux-Danish accents, but there's something about it in this case which seemed a little more surreal than normal for me, although I could never put my finger on why. Nonetheless, it's a great series and Kenneth Branagh is just as outstanding as you would expect. There's a few heavyhanded moments though, when they try to do engage social issues and don't quite - for me - pull it off.

cygnus
06-01-2010, 06:19 AM
:( In memory of Jeanne Robinson (RIP), I may just re-read Stardance, and maybe some of the Callaghans Saloon short stories.

Prancer
06-01-2010, 07:36 AM
I am 1/3 of the way through Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates and I want more! I have The Gravedigger's Daughter on my shelf and have just put Faithless (a collection of short stories) on my wish list.

Any other Oates suggestions?

Oates has cranked out so much work that it's hard to pick just a few. Oates herself most recommends them along with Blonde as her best work; Black Water (a novella about the Chappaquiddick) and What I Lived For were nominated for Pulitzers.

She also writes mystery/suspense novels under two pen names--Rosamond Smith and Lauren Kelly.

Evilynn
06-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Oates has cranked out so much work that it's hard to pick just a few. Oates herself most recommends them along with Blonde as her best work; Black Water (a novella about the Chappaquiddick) and What I Lived For were nominated for Pulitzers.

She also writes mystery/suspense novels under two pen names--Rosamond Smith and Lauren Kelly.

How does she find the time? :eek: I just finished "Do With Me What You Will", and I'm not sure I'd recommend it (it dragged pretty badly and is rather long, if not Blonde long. ;)). I actually haven't read "Them", so I might pick that up the next time I'm craving Oates.

As a change of style and pace I picked up David Brin's "Sundiver" instead. I'm contemplating doing reading challenge on Goodreads (http://www.goodreads.com), and it also fits one of the criteria. ;)

Prancer
06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
How does she find the time? :eek: I just finished "Do With Me What You Will", and I'm not sure I'd recommend it (it dragged pretty badly and is rather long, if not Blonde long. ;)). I actually haven't read "Them", so I might pick that up the next time I'm craving Oates.

Prolific doesn't begin to describe it. She's a distance runner; she works out her stories while she runs, then writes--IN LONGHAND--for hours every day. She used to keep detailed journals on top of everything else, too, but I think she's abandoned that.

I can read only so much Oates at a time, which is why I prefer her short stories. I think most of her novels drag at points, and there's just soooooo much darkness in her work.

jeffisjeff
06-01-2010, 02:51 PM
The PBS series of Wallander is amazing... it is really hilarious though the approach they took by keeping Sweden as the setting but with no effort for the actors to try to be Swedish in any way - they use their own accents, very British slang. I know that this happens a lot - I mean, Hamlet is set in Denmark but it's not like people perform it in faux-Danish accents, but there's something about it in this case which seemed a little more surreal than normal for me, although I could never put my finger on why.

Yeah, they are in Sweden and everyone is speaking English, but if they show a newspaper or captions on TV, it is in Swedish. :lol:

Marge_Simpson
06-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Okay, I am thoroughly confused now.....the Wallander films I've been seeing are in Swedish with English subtitles and the actor playing Wallander is Krister Henriksson. Are there 2 sets of Wallander films? :confused:

emason
06-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Okay, I am thoroughly confused now.....the Wallander films I've been seeing are in Swedish with English subtitles and the actor playing Wallander is Krister Henriksson. Are there 2 sets of Wallander films? :confused:

Yes, there are.

IceAlisa
06-01-2010, 06:07 PM

Thanks! :)
I know, right? I was overwhelmed when I saw how crazily prolific she is. I will definitely check out the recommendations.
Do you like her mysteries? If so, do you recommend any particular ones?

I was thrilled when I found out that she writes mysteries browsing on amazon (a writer this good AND writes mysteries???!!! Woohoo!) but where to start?

Prolific doesn't begin to describe it. She's a distance runner; she works out her stories while she runs, then writes--IN LONGHAND--for hours every day. She used to keep detailed journals on top of everything else, too, but I think she's abandoned that.:yikes:

I can read only so much Oates at a time, which is why I prefer her short stories. I think most of her novels drag at points, and there's just soooooo much darkness in her work. That's alright. I eat darkness for breakfast. ;) Someone said this about Russians that they don't feel alive unless they are suffering. I am not like that but I can definitely see it being correct about the culture and especially literature. Some of the French 19th and 20th century literature too.

IceAlisa
06-01-2010, 06:13 PM
As a change of style and pace I picked up David Brin's "Sundiver" instead. I'm contemplating doing reading challenge on Goodreads (http://www.goodreads.com), and it also fits one of the criteria. ;)

What's that about and what is the reading challenge on Goodreads?

Prancer
06-01-2010, 07:39 PM

Yes. Or rather, there are Swedish films, plus a Swedish series, and then there's a British series.

I know, right? I was overwhelmed when I saw how crazily prolific she is. I will definitely check out the recommendations.
Do you like her mysteries? If so, do you recommend any particular ones?

Her mysteries aren't really mysteries in the classic whodunnit sense; the mysteries are more psychological suspense than puzzles--think Ruth Rendell instead of Agatha Christie.

They're all clearly Oates' work; she doesn't really change styles when she writes them, so I am not sure why she writes them under pen names. Anyone familiar with her work will know those are her books immediately.

My favorite of the ones I have read is Blood Mask, but I haven't read a lot of them.

That's alright. I eat darkness for breakfast. ;)

Then you can probably plow through her entire booklist :P. I think she has a new novel coming out this year.

I don't think I've ever seen an introductory English literature anthology that doesn't include at least one of her short stories. She really creeps out Intro to Lit students, let me tell you. I read one when I was in Intro to Lit and it STILL creeps me out after all these years.

IceAlisa
06-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Her mysteries aren't really mysteries in the classic whodunnit sense; the mysteries are more psychological suspense than puzzles--think Ruth Rendell instead of Agatha Christie. That's OK. But thanks for the warning.

They're all clearly Oates' work; she doesn't really change styles when she writes them, so I am not sure why she writes them under pen names. Anyone familiar with her work will know those are her books immediately. Given how much I am into her right now, this is probably a good thing.

My favorite of the ones I have read is Blood Mask, but I haven't read a lot of them. On the wish list, thanks!

Then you can probably plow through her entire booklist :P. I think she has a new novel coming out this year. Very likely true. I will look out for the novel.

I don't think I've ever seen an introductory English literature anthology that doesn't include at least one of her short stories. She really creeps out Intro to Lit students, let me tell you. I read one when I was in Intro to Lit and it STILL creeps me out after all these years.
What creeps you out?