PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
05-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Too funny. We were stuck driving in Montana in a June (mid-June :mad:) blizzard, and the only motel around was one of these mom-and-pop kinda so-so ones. The bed was saggy, the furniture really old stuff from Sears, but everything clean enough -- and a small bookshelf with about three books on it. Having already plowed through the other books I'd brought -- failing to expect blizzard conditions in June, aargh, I looked through the paperbacks, and found one of the Jack Reacher books. While I wouldn't have picked it up at the store, with nothing else to do, I read, and really liked it. And have been pretty hooked ever since. (But not hooked enough to buy hardbacks.)

I've wondered whether Lee Child has an aversion to toothpaste and deodorant. Or why I keep dwelling on these things but reading anyway.

A Reacher motel! Actually, I think Child has sort of backed himself into a corner when he started mentioning the toothbrush (which he destroyed a couple of books back). Typically, authors never mention personal hygiene unless it's descriptive of the bad guy. :lol: Yet, part of the Reacher persona is traveling with no baggage (except all that psychological baggage he's been carrying since age 6--you'll know about that when you read this book). Reacher is always clean shaven and prefers to be clean. He makes that clear in the books, yet the reader begins to wonder about toothpaste and deodorant etc. when that is hardly ever mentioned in any novel unless it's about adolescent boys who do have an aversion to such. The assumption is that he would use stuff found in motel bathrooms except the cheap motels where he stays don't have stuff like disposable razors and deodorant. :lol:

Since most of the Reacher Creatures (probably all) are women, we see the character differently then do men. Women notice the traveling without baggage as being *where's his clean underwear and deodorant* while men see it as *freedom*. Or at least those readers who comment on the books do.

judiz
05-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Most of the Plum sites think her daughter wrote it and the new one as well. Along with the writing, there's a lot of inconsistencies. The book has just recently made the top 10 pre-order list on B&N. Usually it's there months in advance. I think this is the end of Plum.

Stephanie Evanovich is going to be at my Barnes and Nobles the day number 16 is released doing an autograph signing and a Q&A. I wasn't planning on going but now maybe I will just to see what is going on.

rfisher
05-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Stephanie Evanovich is going to be at my Barnes and Nobles the day number 16 is released doing an autograph signing and a Q&A. I wasn't planning on going but now maybe I will just to see what is going on.

PML you mean Janet or her daughter Alex? BTW, they won't admit Alex is doing most of the writing. I'm certain her publisher does not want that to be public knowledge even if her fans are convinced. Alex does all her webpage stuff and it's really pretty easy to do the comparison.

Prancer
05-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Since most of the Reacher Creatures (probably all) are women, we see the character differently then do men. Women notice the traveling without baggage as being *where's his clean underwear and deodorant* while men see it as *freedom*. Or at least those readers who comment on the books do.

But I don't think we really would pay attention to it if it weren't for the fact that there is always some woman panting after him. If he just stuck to busting heads, I wouldn't think twice about it. But since he is supposed to be some sort of flame to the female moth--and usually the beautiful, rare, precious moth in the story at that--you have to ask yourself why.

It's because he's a guy's idea of what a man should be. But then, as you said, all those Reacher Creatures are women.

Wyliefan
05-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Mark Twain's complete autobiography (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/after-keeping-us-waiting-for-a-century-mark-twain-will-finally-reveal-all-1980695.html) is going to be released. This should be interesting!

IceAlisa
05-25-2010, 11:45 PM
This caught my attention. Some girls: My life in a harem (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/mmagowan/detail?blogid=188&entry_id=63914) by Jillian Lauren.

PrincessLeppard
05-26-2010, 12:56 AM
I read Susan Beth Pfeffer's The Dead and the Gone in one night. Started it at 9:30, finish at 12:30. It's a young adult post-apocalyptic story. While the main character occasionally annoyed me, he also didn't really do anything overly stupid. And he was a teenage boy. ;)

And now I find out there's two other books that go along with it. It's probably good that today was my last day with students...

IceAlisa
05-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Mark Twain's complete autobiography (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/after-keeping-us-waiting-for-a-century-mark-twain-will-finally-reveal-all-1980695.html) is going to be released. This should be interesting!

I am all over that! :)

Prancer
05-26-2010, 02:13 AM
I read Susan Beth Pfeffer's The Dead and the Gone in one night. Started it at 9:30, finish at 12:30. It's a young adult post-apocalyptic story. While the main character occasionally annoyed me, he also didn't really do anything overly stupid. And he was a teenage boy. ;)

And now I find out there's two other books that go along with it. It's probably good that today was my last day with students...

I'm sure missing will be delighted to hear it :). I haven't seen her post lately, though.

You will love the first book, Life As We Knew It. Same apocalyptic event told from the perspective of a teenage girl living in rural PA. Said teenage girl is a figure skating fan who logs on to the internet to check competition results in the first chapter, which made me :lol:.

rfisher
05-26-2010, 02:17 AM
I'm sure missing will be delighted to hear it :). I haven't seen her post lately, though.

You will love the first book, Life As We Knew It. Same apocalyptic event told from the perspective of a teenage girl living in rural PA. Said teenage girl is a figure skating fan who logs on to the internet to check competition results in the first chapter, which made me :lol:.

Didn't she win some reader's choice award for that? I seem to remember voting for it.

PrincessLeppard
05-26-2010, 02:22 AM
Do I get to fangirl missing? Awesome. :D

emason
05-26-2010, 02:36 AM
This caught my attention. Some girls: My life in a harem (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/mmagowan/detail?blogid=188&entry_id=63914) by Jillian Lauren.

I've got this one in my waiting to be read pile, but I haven't started it yet, so I can't say anything about it at this point. I'll report if I start on it soon.

Prancer
05-26-2010, 03:00 AM
Didn't she win some reader's choice award for that? I seem to remember voting for it.

I remember voting for the book to not get hit with a tomato :lol:

But it won quite a few awards according to Wiki:

Pfeffer's book was named Young Adult Library Services Association's Best Books for Young Adults in 2007, and shortlisted for the Andre Norton Award for Outstanding Science Fiction or Fantasy Book of 2007. In addition, it won the Booklist Editor's Choice Award for Books for Youth (Older Reader's Category) in 2006.[10] It was nominated for the 2009 Rebecca Caudill Young Readers' Book Award and the Truman Readers Award of 2008-2009

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I've read the first two, but didn't realize there was another. I'll have to add it to my list

judiz
05-27-2010, 02:07 AM
PML you mean Janet or her daughter Alex? BTW, they won't admit Alex is doing most of the writing. I'm certain her publisher does not want that to be public knowledge even if her fans are convinced. Alex does all her webpage stuff and it's really pretty easy to do the comparison.

Sorry, meant to say Janet Evanovich will be at Barnes and Noble. Can someone post the link to her website?

rfisher
05-27-2010, 02:13 AM
Sorry, meant to say Janet Evanovich will be at Barnes and Noble. Can someone post the link to her website?

here (http://www.evanovich.com/)