PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Southpaw
05-17-2010, 05:10 AM
I just finished Zeitoun by Dave Eggers, which is a biography about a Muslim family in the aftermath of Katrina. I've been meaning to read it for a long time, but somehow, I never got around to it. It was very, very, very good. Anyone interested in civil rights issues should give it a read.

I read Zeitoun and found it serviceable. I just really can't stand Dave Eggers since A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Jackassery and I can't get past that.

rfisher
05-17-2010, 11:49 AM
I just finished Zeitoun by Dave Eggers, which is a biography about a Muslim family in the aftermath of Katrina. I've been meaning to read it for a long time, but somehow, I never got around to it. It was very, very, very good. Anyone interested in civil rights issues should give it a read.

Off to start the new Patricia Briggs novel, which will hopefully be better than the latest Sookie Stackhouse. Though to be fair, I think Charlaine Harris dug herself into a hole with the last one, and she didn't have a lot of places to go in this one. The last one was too depressing and too WTF, and this one was too introspective and not enough action. I also wonder:

It surprised me that Arlene wasn't mentioned AT ALL. Not even in passing. I mean, her best friend tried to MURDER her, or knowingly abetted an attempt to murder her, and it was like it never existed. Jason has a new girlfriend, and the werepanthers I guess are just OK with that and doing there thing in Hotshot. Oh, and at the very end Claudine's angry lover kind of shows up? I mean, WTF? And Alexei Romanov--did Harris read a book on Russian history while writing this and decide to incorporate it? Just insanity without point. I hope though in the next one she goes back to vampire stuff with Victor and co. It's not that I don't enjoy the other supes sometimes, but I think she's better at vamp drama/politics than she is at fairies and weres. And let's face it--most of us are reading it for hot, kinky vampire sex & shenanigans. More snarky, powerful Eric! Less fairies and whiny, boring Eric! :mitchell:

In re to Sookie (this isn't that big a deal so I'm not bothering with spoiler tags), she did mention Arlene. It was when she agreed to babysit and she pondered the fact of how often she'd sat with Arlene's kids and wondered how they were.

IceAlisa
05-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Matry, thanks for the recommendation. I will check out the Dave Eggers.

I have a random question:

My five year old is very interested in the solar system, planets, the sun, etc. He asked for planet toys for his birthday which I found (thank you, amazon.com!) but would also like to find a book on the subject that is appropriate for 5 year olds.

Any suggestions? Or anywhere I should look for something like this? Thanks.

rfisher
05-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Just finished 61 Hours, the latest Reacher novel by Lee Child. Prancer, Reacher's in love and has phone sex. That's all I'm saying since you aren't buying them anymore. :D

PrincessLeppard
05-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Wasn't he in love in a previous story? And she got killed? (Much like what always happened to MacGuyver's girlfriends. :EVILLE: )

barbk
05-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Need a recommendation from people here:

I was cleaning my place and found a book my class read in the 7th grade called 'Agouhanna'. It's a novel in the Native American setting and I really enjoyed reading it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on novels about Native Americans? I'm especially interested in the spiritual/folklore aspects of Native Americans instead of than the European colonizations that it was so focused on in school back in the days...

Tony Hillerman's mysteries delve into much Navajo lore. Margaret Coel has another series featuring people from Wyoming's Wind River tribe.

Ramona, by Helen Hunt Jackson is a bit melodramatic for my tastes, but it has been a seller for a long time.

barbk
05-23-2010, 01:50 AM
Matry, thanks for the recommendation. I will check out the Dave Eggers.

I have a random question:

My five year old is very interested in the solar system, planets, the sun, etc. He asked for planet toys for his birthday which I found (thank you, amazon.com!) but would also like to find a book on the subject that is appropriate for 5 year olds.

Any suggestions? Or anywhere I should look for something like this? Thanks.

I haven't met many kids who haven't been enthralled with the Dorling Kindersly Eyewitness series of books, even if the words are more complex than they understand. They have one on the planets. Your library probably has the whole set. (And on a completely different topic, my nephew absolutely adored B is for Bulldozer, and Digger Man.)

barbk
05-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Just finished 61 Hours, the latest Reacher novel by Lee Child. Prancer, Reacher's in love and has phone sex. That's all I'm saying since you aren't buying them anymore. :D

I'm on the reserve list at the library -- does that count? (Though I'm peculiar enough to count the number of days between showers and sex for him, and wonder.)

rfisher
05-23-2010, 02:21 AM
Wasn't he in love in a previous story? And she got killed? (Much like what always happened to MacGuyver's girlfriends. :EVILLE: )

There's a sequel in October. Lee usually just does one a year.

Have you read Fever Dream yet? I'm waiting for your impression.

All the books have been optioned out for a movie. I'm thinking Russell Crowe would be a good Reacher. Not too pretty, but hot enough.

Prancer
05-23-2010, 02:27 AM

You can't tempt me with phone sex. I'm reading I Don't Care About Your Band (http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Care-About-Your-Band/dp/1592405614), which has plenty of phone sex and a whole lot more. If anything, it's making me think I don't want to read anything that has sex in it for the next few months. I'm thinking about putting that one on the back burner for short, quick reads (it's all essays) and moving on to Dark Places (http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Places-Novel-Gillian-Flynn/dp/0307341569/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1) or one of the many other unread books I just discovered I have on hand.

rfisher
05-23-2010, 02:41 AM
You can't tempt me with phone sex. I'm reading I Don't Care About Your Band (http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Care-About-Your-Band/dp/1592405614), which has plenty of phone sex and a whole lot more. If anything, it's making me think I don't want to read anything that has sex in it for the next few months. I'm thinking about putting that one on the back burner for short, quick reads (it's all essays) and moving on to Dark Places (http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Places-Novel-Gillian-Flynn/dp/0307341569/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1) or one of the many other unread books I just discovered I have on hand.

But, we get to see his vulnerable side. The woman has his old job in the Army. She knows stuff about him. :sekret: You know you'll read it. :lol:

Prancer
05-23-2010, 02:52 AM
But, we get to see his vulnerable side. The woman has his old job in the Army. She knows stuff about him. :sekret: You know you'll read it. :lol:

Oh, sure. Eventually. When it's available from the library and I don't have to contribute to Child's bank account to do it.

There's always a woman. And like barbk, I sometimes wonder why. He buys clothes every few days and carries a toothbrush. But he does a lot of bus riding and walking, and does he even mention deodorant, a razor, fresh socks and underwear every day? He doesn't have a job or a car, he stays in crappy, minimalist hotels, and he disdains small talk.

Chick magnet material there for sure.

rfisher
05-23-2010, 03:05 AM
Oh, sure. Eventually. When it's available from the library and I don't have to contribute to Child's bank account to do it.

There's always a woman. And like barbk, I sometimes wonder why. He buys clothes every few days and carries a toothbrush. But he does a lot of bus riding and walking, and does he even mention deodorant, a razor, fresh socks and underwear every day? He doesn't have a job or a car, he stays in crappy, minimalist hotels, and he disdains small talk.

Chick magnet material there for sure.

:lol: It's his sensitve side. He showers a lot this time and only kills two people who both totally deserve what happens. He even makes small talk. He doesn't actually get to have sex. He's in South Dakota. The woman is in Virginia.

Prancer
05-23-2010, 03:15 AM
:lol: It's his sensitve side. He showers a lot this time and only kills two people who both totally deserve what happens.

Good lord, he's gone soft--almost metrosexual! :eek:

barbk
05-23-2010, 03:55 AM
:lol: It's his sensitve side. He showers a lot this time and only kills two people who both totally deserve what happens. He even makes small talk. He doesn't actually get to have sex. He's in South Dakota. The woman is in Virginia.

Too funny. We were stuck driving in Montana in a June (mid-June :mad:) blizzard, and the only motel around was one of these mom-and-pop kinda so-so ones. The bed was saggy, the furniture really old stuff from Sears, but everything clean enough -- and a small bookshelf with about three books on it. Having already plowed through the other books I'd brought -- failing to expect blizzard conditions in June, aargh, I looked through the paperbacks, and found one of the Jack Reacher books. While I wouldn't have picked it up at the store, with nothing else to do, I read, and really liked it. And have been pretty hooked ever since. (But not hooked enough to buy hardbacks.)

I've wondered whether Lee Child has an aversion to toothpaste and deodorant. Or why I keep dwelling on these things but reading anyway.