PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
05-10-2010, 04:27 AM
Since everyone I know said that Finger-Lickin Fifteen was a terrible book, I've been in no hurry to read it, but I saw it at the library and thought I'd give Stephanie another whirl.

Well, I've read 10 pages so far and I'm thinking about leaving it at that, even though I hardly ever abandon a book without reading at least 100 pages. The writing doesn't even sound like Evanovich; seriously, there is something really off about the voice here so far. Lula's dialogue isn't right and Stephanie's first person voice is wrong, too. It reads like it was all written by a seventh grader and I have the same twitchy feeling of inattention I got when I had to read Twilight to help a student.

Does it get any better?

Matryeshka
05-10-2010, 05:43 AM
No. :P The whodunnit is even more stupider and obvious than usual.

What bothers me most about the later books is that she's made Stephanie dumb and had her make mistakes she didn't make in the first four books. That's what I really loved about Evanovich's writing initially--the pace of Stephanie's improvement/instincts as a bounty hunter as the series progressed. By book five, she was pretty damn good, and then the Joe/Ranger triangle took over, and Stephanie went from bombshell bounty hunter to wimpy, whiny chick lit girl in one book and never quite recovered.

rfisher
05-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Since everyone I know said that Finger-Lickin Fifteen was a terrible book, I've been in no hurry to read it, but I saw it at the library and thought I'd give Stephanie another whirl.

Well, I've read 10 pages so far and I'm thinking about leaving it at that, even though I hardly ever abandon a book without reading at least 100 pages. The writing doesn't even sound like Evanovich; seriously, there is something really off about the voice here so far. Lula's dialogue isn't right and Stephanie's first person voice is wrong, too. It reads like it was all written by a seventh grader and I have the same twitchy feeling of inattention I got when I had to read Twilight to help a student.

Does it get any better?

Most of the Plum sites think her daughter wrote it and the new one as well. Along with the writing, there's a lot of inconsistencies. The book has just recently made the top 10 pre-order list on B&N. Usually it's there months in advance. I think this is the end of Plum.

Prancer
05-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Most of the Plum sites think her daughter wrote it and the new one as well.

Really? Well, that would explain why the voice is so off--and it is jarringly wrong--but :eek::eek::eek: if that's true. I thought Evanovich might have had a stroke or something. The series has been going downhill for a while, and has picked up a lot of speed in the last two, but this one just reeks of wrong.

ITA with Matry; the first books were good because Stephanie was unskilled but smart and resourceful and a fast learner. I guess that Stephanie the Competent Bounty Hunter would have made writing a comedy series more difficult, but it was clear that the idea well ran dry right about then anyway.

made_in_canada
05-10-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm reading The Fourth Hand by John Irving. I normally love his writing and his characters but this one is not my favourite. A little too much twisted sexual nonsense for my liking.

Evilynn
05-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I went from depressing Swedish author to depressing American author and decided to tackle Joyce Carol Oates' "Do With Me What You Will". :shuffle: I think I'm about 100 pages into it, and I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy the other 400 that much. Oates is very hit and miss for me though, so I sort of expected it. Sometimes she redeems herself by the end, so I'm going to try to stick it out.

rfisher
05-11-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm going to get the latest Pendergast novel today. :cheer2: I'll be finished with it by Thursday. Lurve me some Agent Pendergast. The reviews look good.

Any other Pendergast fans: did we ever learn exactly what Constance is? I keep thinking I missed something between Cabinet of Curiosities and the trilogy. I may have to reread.

rfisher
05-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Fever Dream by Preston and Child is one of the best Pendergast mysteries in a while. It's not as supernatural or scary as some (Still Life with Crows and Cabinet of Curiosities) but it's a good mystery and fun to follow as Pendergast, D'Agosto and Hayward solve the 15 year old murder of Pendergast's wife. Lots of historical background on JJ Audubon. The side story of Constance isn't important here, but probably will be in a future book.

P/C are starting a new series which will be interesting. I've read their individual books and tend to prefer Preston over Child, but like their collaborations better than their solo novels.

And a new Reacher next Tuesday! It's supposed to be a good one Prancer.

immoimeme
05-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I am reading "Anne of Green Gables." It's perfectly delightful, with much scope for imagination :)

IceAlisa
05-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Anyone has read Joyce Carol Oates' "Blonde", a fictional bio of Marylin Monroe? Apparently, a movie is being made based on this, with Naomi Watts as MM.

Now, I love Naomi Watts but I think she is miscast.

Prancer
05-15-2010, 12:47 AM
It's supposed to be a good one Prancer.

That's what you said last time :shuffle:. Not that I am bitter or anything......:P.

One of the sixth graders I am tutoring told me that she is reading a really good book and I should read it, too. I saw the title but recognized the author as someone who writes a lot of teen suspense, so I figured that's what the book was about.

Nope. Who Killed My Daughter? (http://www.amazon.com/Who-Killed-Daughter-Lois-Duncan/dp/0440213428) is nonfiction. Part of me is aghast that my tutee is reading it, the other part of me keeps remembering what I read when I was 12.

BrokenAnkle
05-15-2010, 02:08 AM
I am reading "Anne of Green Gables." It's perfectly delightful, with much scope for imagination :)

I am finishing up the whole series - completely charming! Then I am going to read a book by Dick Francis that I seem to have missed somehow, Ten Pound Penalty

cygnus
05-15-2010, 04:28 AM
I'm just back from a hiking trip in Cornwall UK- lots of time to read in the evenings at the isolated B&Bs we stayed at while resting the sore feet. We stayed at the Jamaica Inn on Bodmin moor, so I had to read the book by Daphne du Maurier, which I enjoyed-even more when we were staying at the place- very atmospheric, and the cool overcast weather helped a lot with the mood!

Others I read on the trip- a fluffy murder mystery called Haunting Jordan which I couldn't take too seriously due to the talking ghosts. I liked the 19th century part more than the current day mystery.

Currently I'm finishing off a bio of Thomas More and his daughter Margaret Roper called "A Daughter's Love" by John Guy. An interesting story about two Tudor era figures who led interesting and tragic lives. And it's good to read about some non-royal Tudor people for a change.

rfisher
05-15-2010, 11:59 AM
That's what you said last time :shuffle:. Not that I am bitter or anything......:P.

Perspective. Remember the immediate predecessor? :lol:

I get annoyed with Lee, but I haven't given up yet.

Prancer
05-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Perspective. Remember the immediate predecessor? :lol:

Must I? :scream:

Others I read on the trip- a fluffy murder mystery called Haunting Jordan which I couldn't take too seriously due to the talking ghosts. I liked the 19th century part more than the current day mystery.

I read that one a while back and ITA about the mystery. I didn't care much for the ghosts, either, especially since the ghosts seemed to be completely different people---er, completely different personalities as ghosts than they were as people? Something like that. And the whole "the ghosts bring a cake as a housewarming gift" so bugged me at the beginning that I never got past it.

That one went in the Goodwill pile. I like fluff, but I like fluff that makes sense.