PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

immoimeme
05-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Since the library didn't have any more James Bond films to watch, I got two books about small space decorating but it's been very hard to enjoy them ever since I read that article about that girl in China living in a ... well, it still looks like a prison cell to me! :P

Prancer
05-03-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm reading A Beautiful Place to Die (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/1416586202/sykm-20), which is a murder mystery set in South Africa in 1952. I had to put the book down and read a bit on South Africa in the 1950s before I got too far into the story. I don't know that everyone would find it necessary, but I don't know much about SA, especially not during that period, and I had the feeling that there were undercurrents passing me by. I do think it helped me get a better grasp on what is going on.

I am pretty sure I know whodunnit already (I'm at the halfway point), but it's one of those mysteries that is more an examination of place, time and circumstance than it is a mystery. There are some strongly derivative elements in the story, but I like the author's clean writing style and her use of visuals (she's a filmmaker and it shows in the way she sets scenes).

PrincessLeppard
05-03-2010, 07:34 PM
For those of you who were squeamish about Unwind, you should probably avoid. The description of the unwinding itself is pretty :scream: But overall, a great book, and I'm sure it'll be a movie, and I'm sure they'll ruin it....

I'm now reading Project 17, about a group of teenagers filming a movie inside an abandoned mental hospital. I started reading it in bed last night. Not a good idea...

Prancer
05-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I've finished The Help and I have a question for others who've read it -- maybe a stupid question:

[spoiler]What was the significance, if any, of Hilly getting a cold sore on her lip for the first time since she dated Johnny?

Well, *I* first thought it meant she had caught herpes and it had come back :lol:, but I think it was just an outward manifestation of Hilly's character and yet another thing that made Hilly really unappealing.

Wyliefan
05-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Either of those is possible, I guess! :) (At that point it seemed she was getting so deranged that she had really let herself go, and I thought maybe she'd stopped taking her herpes meds too . . . if they even had herpes meds back then. I don't really know.) But there was so much emphasis on it, I just wondered if it meant something more sinister.

Of course, if Hilly got herpes from Johnny, one would think Celia would have it too.

Prancer
05-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Either of those is possible, I guess! :) (At that point it seemed she was getting so deranged that she had really let herself go, and I thought maybe she'd stopped taking her herpes meds too . . . if they even had herpes meds back then. I don't really know.) But there was so much emphasis on it, I just wondered if it meant something more sinister.

Of course, if Hilly got herpes from Johnny, one would think Celia would have it too.

That's why I gave up on the herpes theory; I thought it was going to come to mean something, but it really was just a cold sore, I think. Cold sores are caused by herpes, but are not necessarily a sign of an STD; they are more like shingles. My mom used to get them when she was stressed; she treated them with mercurochrome. Even now, I think all you can do for cold sores is treat them when they appear. But for Hilly, it could have been stress--and could have been a symbol for how her inner ugliness surfaced and made her unkissable/unlovable.

I sense a paper topic for my beginning lit students :P

Wyliefan
05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Oh, that should be loads of fun. :lol:

rfisher
05-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Reading Bite Me: A Love Story by Chris Moore. This is a sequel to You Suck which is a sequel to Bloodsucking Fiends. Chris is insane. His books are funny and totally irrelevant. I met him when he was doing background research on Fluke: Or I know why the winged whale sings (which, sadly, was not one of my favorites). My absolute favorite was Island of the Sequined Love Nun which I used to have my anthropology students read to learn about cargo cults in the Pacific Islands.

ETA. I meant irreverent not irrelevant. :lol: Although, some might say that's true also.

zaphyre14
05-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm totally hooked on Lindsey Davis' Falco series. I'm now reading the first "Silver Pigs" (already read 2 and 3) and have three more waiting.

And I have three - count 'em, three! - B&N gift cards in my wallet - and a notebook full of new books to buy as soon as I get time to get to the store.

PrincessLeppard
05-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Project 17 crashed and burned at the end. Meh. Super creepy up until about the last 20 pages, and then it was clear the author had no clue what to do.

Matryeshka
05-05-2010, 01:50 AM
I ADORE Christopher Moore. Fool and Lamb are two of my favorite books.

Melly80
05-05-2010, 07:53 AM
I ADORE Christopher Moore. Fool and Lamb are two of my favorite books.

Me too! "The gospel according to Biff" is my fave book ever!:lol: I really have to look for his other books...

rfisher
05-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Me too! "The gospel according to Biff" is my fave book ever!:lol: I really have to look for his other books...

Practical Demonkeeping
Coyote Blue
Bloodsucking Fiends
Island of the Sequined Love Nun
The Last Lizard of Melancholy Cove
Lamb
Fluke
The Stupidest Angel
A Dirty Job
You Suck
Fool
Bite Me.

It's helpful to read them in order (except for Lamb, Fluke and Fool). BF, YS and BM are sequels and the others may share characters or background. It's not necessary, but helpful. A Dirty Job has some of the same characters as the three vamp novels. Lizard and Demonkeeping share characters along with stupidest angel.

topaz
05-05-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm finished reading Lover Mine by JR Ward and it was very good. I enjoyed the story so much. John Matthew is one of my favorite brothers.

Currently reading/listening Charlaine Harris' Dead In The Family. I have the audiobook and I enjoy the narrator Joanna Parker very much.

rfisher
05-09-2010, 12:39 AM
I just finished Dead in the Family also. I'm going to post comments in the True Blood thread so anybody who hasn't read the book won't be spoiled.