PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

dbell1
04-22-2010, 08:12 PM
:lynch: Lynch!! He used TOTO for the "Dune" soundtrack!! :yikes: :mad: :P

I want to read Lep's book - sounds perfectly hideous. I'll settle instead for the latest James Rollins book "Altar of Eden". Mutant animals and dedicated scientists. :lol:

PS - that Movie a Minute link is awesome! I'm loving the summary for "Speed". :rofl:

Prancer
04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
You may like this (http://www.cracked.com/video_18156_a-trailer-every-academy-award-winning-movie-ever.html).

:lol:, especially at the Facebook line.

I like David Lynch. :shuffle:

Oh, well, that's okay. Someone has to. I suppose.

PS - that Movie a Minute link is awesome! I'm loving the summary for "Speed". :rofl:

The Lord of the Rings summary was the BEST, but they took it down, and some of the other good ones, too.

My daughter had a dentist appointment yesterday, so I grabbed a book or essays I had had for a while (I prefer short readings in waiting rooms) and took that with me. They may never let me come back. I had to go out in the parking lot at one point because I was laughing so hard (and the joke was about Canada, which, as any FSU member knows, means it's even funnier to us).

Notes from the Underwire: Adventures from My Awkward and Lovely Life (http://www.amazon.com/Notes-Underwire-Adventures-Awkward-Lovely/dp/1401322867) is being listed as a mommy book, and certainly there are parenting essays in there. But it's also about the trials of a former child actor and talent agent, cats, Facebook, and other things, among them (bwahahahaha) the absolutely socially inappropriate things that some of us can't help but release from our mouths in spite of our best efforts.

Holley Calmes
04-23-2010, 01:55 PM
I hope this isn't a duplication of a previous message...but I just got the new Elizabeth George yesterday. It's just out. A new Detective Lynley adventure. Anybody read it yet? I think it's been out about a week or so.

Evilynn
04-23-2010, 01:58 PM
:lynch: Lynch!! He used TOTO for the "Dune" soundtrack!! :yikes: :mad: :P

I think he wasn't totally into doing Dune in the first place, so it might've been a cunning plan to make sure he never ended up doing something like that again, ever? ;) I never managed to watch the movie, the final lines of the book pissed me off too much. :lol:

Oh, well, that's okay. Someone has to. I suppose.

:sheep:

IceAlisa
04-23-2010, 05:44 PM
I've only watched one David Lynch movie, Mullholland Drive and really liked it. After having read an explanation on the internets of whatever the eff was going on in the flick, that is.
:shuffle:

shells
04-23-2010, 10:23 PM
There are books I want that come out on Tuesday. The website says the stores have them in stock. At least one of them will have a strict on sale date, I'd guess the other will too but I'm not sure. I suppose I could just call and ask...

rfisher
04-23-2010, 10:27 PM
I've been waiting all week to go get the latest No 1 Ladies Detective Series book. I'm going tomorrow. :cheer2: I love that series and was really sad HBO only did one season on the books. The producer/creator died and they didn't replace him. :(

rfisher
04-25-2010, 10:06 PM
I've been waiting all week to go get the latest No 1 Ladies Detective Series book. I'm going tomorrow. :cheer2: I love that series and was really sad HBO only did one season on the books. The producer/creator died and they didn't replace him. :(

Got it Saturday and finished it today. This one is the Double Comfort Safari Club. I've listened to several of the series on audio and therefore know how to pronounce all the place names and the characters. Setswana pronounces each syllable and is very lilting. Mma Ramotswe is one of my favorite literary characters. Alexander McCall Smith writes with a gentle humor and is a keen observer of human nature.

LilJen
04-26-2010, 02:18 AM
Just finishing up The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. Fascinating tale of a family, cancer, poverty, medical research, abuse, all kinds of stuff.

Evilynn
04-26-2010, 01:44 PM
I spent the weekend on the couch due to a severe cold, and went through Oryx & Crake (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/46756.Oryx_and_Crake) in no time. I still love it. I'm such a sucker for dystopias, and I've loved Atwood's writing since I first read The Handmaid's Tale when I was in my mid-teens. I'm going to start on The Year of the Flood (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6080337-the-year-of-the-flood) tonight, and started a short story collection by Swedish author Mare Kandre as my subway book.

zaphyre14
04-28-2010, 02:06 PM
While I'm waiting for more Didius Falco to come in the mail, I picked up Kasey Michaels' "Maggie Without a Clue" in B&N's bargain bin. I liked the first two Maggie mysteries and the premise - Maggie's an author whose Regency dectitive hero and his best friend suddenly take on flesh and come to life in her NY apartment and start helping her solve real-life crimes - is interesting.

I ran out of Marcia Muller audio books for the car and while I'm waiting for the next ones to arrive via inter-library loan, I started on J.A. Jance's Joanna Brady mysteries. Startting in the middle of a series is disconcerting but so far there hasn't been anything about past relationships that I haven't been able to figure out as I go along. And the reader is good at accents so I'm not having trouble keeping the characters straight during conversations.

If nothing else, I'm discoving a lot of authors I hadn't tried before.

rfisher
05-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Just finished Hell's Gate by Linda Fairstein. I really like her Alex Cooper series. Fairstein was one of the original SVU prosecuters in NYC so she knows her stuff, but she also features some historical building or place in NYC in each novel. One of the characters is a history buff and she uses this as a vehicle to provide historical background. She also manages to keep the romantic tension between the two lead characters without them crossing *that line*. To have done so through 10 or so books is an accomplishment.

May is going to be a super fun month. New Sookie Stackhouse next week, new Pendergast the week after, new Reacher the next and Girl who kicked the hornet the week after that. Fortunately, all will be discounted by Borders who will be clever and send me coupons so I'll buy other books as well.

Wyliefan
05-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Just finished it too..........thought it was absolutely wonderful. I ordered it one night (on my Kindle) 'cause I was desperate...............I was so surprised I found the intertwining stories so compelling.

I'm reading The Help now. It's a good read and very hard to put down. So far I like Aibileen and Minny better than Skeeter, whose naivete is pretty annoying. Understandable, I guess, but still annoying.

PrincessLeppard
05-01-2010, 06:51 PM
I spent the weekend on the couch due to a severe cold, and went through Oryx & Crake (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/46756.Oryx_and_Crake) in no time. I still love it. I'm such a sucker for dystopias, and I've loved Atwood's writing since I first read The Handmaid's Tale when I was in my mid-teens. I'm going to start on The Year of the Flood (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6080337-the-year-of-the-flood) tonight, and started a short story collection by Swedish author Mare Kandre as my subway book.

I love dystopias, too, that's why I created my Dystopian Literature class. :) (we are reading the Handmaid's Tale right now. Well, some of my students are reading it. My seniors occasionally glance at the cover...)

I gave up on Killing Time, though. :shuffle: Life is too short to wade through a bad book...

I picked up the Quinn Cummings book Prancer recommended and it is really funny. I don't have to shake Prancer down for my $14 now. Dammit.

I'm currently reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman. Got through half of it last night. Hey, Caleb Carr! THAT'S how you write a dystopian thriller.

Wyliefan
05-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I read about Unwind. Sounds intriguing but super-creepy. I'd probably have insomnia for the rest of my life if I tried it.