PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

zaphyre14
04-19-2010, 05:41 PM
PL. have you tried Andre Norton's "The Iron Cage"? It's science-fiction - a pair of human children stranded on a planet run by bear-like "savages". May be too young for your crowd, though - the kids I know who liked it were 8th and 9th graders at the time.

I finished the third Falco book on a train yesterday. :) Nearly missed my stop because I didn't hear the announcements over my absorption in the book. Gotto hunt out more of these!

I'm still working my way through Marcia Muller's backlist as well.

Plus the friend I visited over the weekend sent me home with a shopping bag full of books she's done with. Some of them were ones I'd given her but it's easier for me to donate used books to my library and church so I hauled them all home. With luck there will be some I can trade off online for more Falcos. :)

Speaking of trading has anyone here tried bookmooch.com? There was a card for it in one of the books I got from paperbackswap.com.

Buzz
04-19-2010, 08:48 PM
The Winter Queen - a novel of historial fiction written in the tradition of Agatha Christie. ( in my opionon that is... LOL ) First in the Erast Fandorin series by Russian/Georgian writer Boris Akunin. ( real name Grigory Shalvovich Chkhartishvili ) Read it a loooong time ago at the request of a friend. Well it is now being made into a movie starring Milla Jovovich, and Anton Yelchin. According to IMDB it is set for a 2010 release but the movie has all sorts of problems already including a change of director so I doubt it will be in cinemas anytime soon. Not a bad book so check it out. :)

Kasey
04-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Just finished up "Loving Frank" by Nancy Horan. Ugh. Just, Ugh. A friend had loaned it to me saying it was really good. I didn't like the main character for most of the book, which made it a little harder to keep into. And the end didn't finish it off as a satisfying experience, at least for me.

Whipped out a Nicholas Sparks yesterday to get the bad taste out of my mouth (kind of like covering up spoiled meat with saccharine!)

On to something more enjoyable...

Evilynn
04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
That's so funny, Evilynn. The Spanish title for the first book is "Men who love women", so total opposite from the original one :lol:

The Spanish publishing house must be snarky. :lol:

I finished Doris Lessing's The Golden Notebook yesterday, and it was food for thought. It was also quite interesting to compare the paperback I had (which was published in the early 60ies) to my sister's which was published in the late 90ies.

I'm still stuck with the Swedish Folktales, but I'm picking up Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake for a re-read before I read Year of the Flood. I haven't read O&C since it was published in paperback, so it seemed like a good time for a reread. :)

zaphyre14
04-21-2010, 04:25 PM
In a genre switch, I'm now reading Dave Duncan's "The Alchemist's Apprentice" - poisoning, prophesies and witchcraft in Nicodemus' Venice.

PDilemma
04-21-2010, 04:40 PM
I just finished Sophie Kinsella's Twenties Girl.

Not serious but a really fun read! If you need an escape, it's good. Better than the Shopaholic series.

shells
04-22-2010, 02:49 AM
I just finished Sophie Kinsella's Twenties Girl.

Not serious but a really fun read! If you need an escape, it's good. Better than the Shopaholic series.

I agree. I've been a fan of Sophie Kinsella for years and years, and loved Becky Bloomwood. But I definitely liked Twenties Girl better than all of the other books I've read.

Have you read the book she wrote under her real name (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=madeline+wickham&sprefix=madeli)?

I'm just a few chapters away from the end of The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong. It makes me want to go back and read her adult books even though I didn't like them so much when I first read them (I didn't like the spin off characters).

PrincessLeppard
04-22-2010, 03:51 AM
I'm wading through Killing Time by Caleb Carr. The story line is really cool (dystopian future--I lurve that stuff), but I just have trouble with his writing style. I've tried to get through the Alienist three times. I should love that book, and yet I always put it down.

jeffisjeff
04-22-2010, 03:56 AM
I really liked The Alienist. I guess I should give Killing Time a try. :lol:

Prancer
04-22-2010, 04:00 AM
I'm wading through Killing Time by Caleb Carr. The story line is really cool (dystopian future--I lurve that stuff), but I just have trouble with his writing style. I've tried to get through the Alienist three times. I should love that book, and yet I always put it down.

Have you read World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (http://www.amazon.com/World-War-Oral-History-Zombie/dp/0307346609)? My husband is reading it right now and really likes it.

I'm reading The Crazy School (http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-School-Cornelia-Read/dp/044619820X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271904805&sr=1-4) by Cornelia Read. I read her first book (A Field of Darkness) and thought that the writing was good even if the mystery was not. So far, I think this one will be same. But ol' Cornelia has a way with snark that puts many FSUers to shame, so I read on.

PrincessLeppard
04-22-2010, 04:02 AM
I really liked The Alienist. I guess I should give Killing Time a try. :lol:

At the moment, it's kind of like this:

DROP MYSTERIOUS HINT TO PUZZLED PROTAGONIST

He asks for explanation

"We'll tell you later."

SOMETHING WEIRD HAPPENS.

Protagonist is pulled in, again without explanation.

Repeat.

Prancer
04-22-2010, 04:13 AM

He asks for explanation

"We'll tell you later."

SOMETHING WEIRD HAPPENS.

Repeat.

Bwahahaha, that reminds me so much of my all-time favorite Movie-A-Minute summary: The Films of David Lynch (http://www.rinkworks.com/movieaminute/m/davidlynch.shtml)

IceAlisa
04-22-2010, 04:37 AM
Bwahahaha, that reminds me so much of my all-time favorite Movie-A-Minute summary: The Films of David Lynch (http://www.rinkworks.com/movieaminute/m/davidlynch.shtml)

You may like this (http://www.cracked.com/video_18156_a-trailer-every-academy-award-winning-movie-ever.html).

jeffisjeff
04-22-2010, 05:03 AM

He asks for explanation

"We'll tell you later."

SOMETHING WEIRD HAPPENS.

Repeat.

Sounds good! :P

Evilynn
04-22-2010, 01:55 PM

I like David Lynch. :shuffle: