PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Buzz
04-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Clara's War by Clara Kramer and Stephen Glantz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522UsZMVfJA

PrincessLeppard
04-15-2010, 01:04 AM
I gave up on Jaspar (?) Fforde's Over Easy. I loved the Fourth Bear, but I couldn't get into this one.

IceAlisa
04-15-2010, 01:26 AM
The Swedish titles + translation:
1. Män som hatar kvinnor - Men who hate women
2. Flickan som lekte med elden - The girl who played with fire
3. Luftslottet som sprängdes - The "air castle" that blew up. A "luftslott" ("air castle") is a fantastic daydream/fantasy that isn't grounded in reality. Say, if Viktoria Helgesson said she'd win the olympics, that'd be a luftslott. ;)

In some instances I know "less offensive" titles are chosen. Which is what I suppose happened to book #1 (and the Swedish movie "Fcucking Åmål" which got called "Show Me Love" in the American market. :lol:), and sometimes the titles simply don't translate well, like book #3.

Thanks! Then I guess a better translation of the French title would be The Queen of the Air Castle, not palace of drafts! :lol:

Buzz
04-16-2010, 02:37 AM
A strange thing happened to me today. Strange but kinda sweet. LOL Well here is my story.... I was in the library to feed my obseession with all things WW2 by picking two books about the holocaust. This elderly came up to me and pointing to the book on the table ( I was reading the other one) and asked me if it was mine and if I intended to read or borrow the book. A little confused it took a while for me to mutter a bearly audible yes. hehehe Then she told me how happy she is to see someone reading that book because she was it's translator! Her eyes was just so bright and all lit up I just had to come and tell that story here and mention the book. Hopefully someone else will be inspired to borrow it from the library and read it. :) Here is the name and details of the book in question:

NIGHTMARES: Memoirs of the years of horror under Nazi rule in Europe, 1939-1945 written by Konrad Charmatz, translated by Miriam Beckerman.

Graceful05
04-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Aww, that is cute! What are the odds!?

Has anyone ever read Beauty & the Briefcase? They just made it into a Hilary Duff movie on ABC Family this Sunday, and they put up an interview with the author, Daniella Brodsky (http://community.abcfamily.go.com/blogs/beauty-and-briefcase/beauty-briefcase-blog-part-2) which got me very interested. It seems like light, Sophie Kinsella-esque type of material...I'm going to watch the movie first, then read because it looks cute, but I'd be curious to see what people thought.

IceAlisa
04-16-2010, 11:23 PM
I got the copy of The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest! Wheeee!

I've been reading Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall which is really fun (a Bronte with a sense of humor! Wow!) but it will have to wait.

my little pony
04-16-2010, 11:49 PM
I've been reading Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall which is really fun (a Bronte with a sense of humor! Wow!) but it will have to wait.

that's what I'm rereading right now

IceAlisa
04-17-2010, 01:56 AM
that's what I'm rereading right now

:respec:

ETA: British English is part of the entertainment in my edition of The Girl Who...

A&E = ER

kitted out = scrubbed in

You Brits are so funny to us rude Amerikans.
:lol:

oleada
04-17-2010, 02:42 AM
That's so funny, Evilynn. The Spanish title for the first book is "Men who love women", so total opposite from the original one :lol:

Matryeshka
04-18-2010, 07:10 AM
Any Laurell K. Hamilton fans out there? I gave up on her a looong time ago, but while at B&N, I just happened to notice the cover of her new "book", Flirt. Image of book and symbol. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0030AOBRA/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=133140011&s=digital-text)

What does the symbol on the cover mean? Does anyone know? Last year, I found a necklace with that exact design, and I wore it home. My mother went balistic and was sure it meant something bad, but I have no idea. I also don't want to give Hamilton even a penny of my money, and even more, I don't want to waste my time reading it. I gave up on her mid-way through Narcissus in Chains. I just want to be able to say, hah, it's some weird vampire blood sucking Egyptian creepy orgy symbol, not something you use to sniff blow off hookers! :HA!:

Orable
04-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Looks like an old-school razor blade (http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/b/br/brokenarts/435178_razor_blade.jpg) to me!

Matryeshka
04-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Damnit, I want it to mean something different! I don't want my mother to be right! Someone has to know some hipster that's attached some weird meaning to it.

Nan
04-18-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm about 150 pages into the third book of Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy. I love fantasy writers who are good at creating civilizations and I think she is one of the best. I also like how she paints her characters with two brushes; no one is all good or all bad. I read her Assassin's trilogy and while it was detailed, the pace wasn't too slow. This one is even more detailed and I think it does slow the pace a bit too much. Everything could have been said just as well in two books, maybe one.

rfisher
04-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Any Laurell K. Hamilton fans out there? I gave up on her a looong time ago, but while at B&N, I just happened to notice the cover of her new "book", Flirt. Image of book and symbol. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0030AOBRA/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=133140011&s=digital-text)

What does the symbol on the cover mean? Does anyone know? Last year, I found a necklace with that exact design, and I wore it home. My mother went balistic and was sure it meant something bad, but I have no idea. I also don't want to give Hamilton even a penny of my money, and even more, I don't want to waste my time reading it. I gave up on her mid-way through Narcissus in Chains. I just want to be able to say, hah, it's some weird vampire blood sucking Egyptian creepy orgy symbol, not something you use to sniff blow off hookers! :HA!:

Maybe Anita has moved on from having sex three times a page to cutting herself with razorblades.

Hamilton writes depending on her current lifestyle (ergo the sex revolution when she divorced her first husband who was keeping her repressed :rolleyes: ) so maybe she's into self-mutilation now.

PrincessLeppard
04-19-2010, 03:27 AM
I finished The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. I've been trying to find young adult dystopian novels for my students to read on their own, and I really liked this one. Fast read, moves quickly, leaves you hanging a bit at the end. I'm guessing there's a sequel. :)

eta: there appears to be several sequels...