PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

smurfy
03-17-2010, 02:53 AM
I know there are many Stephanie Plum readers here, and I heard the most distressing news from my mom, who is also a fan of the Plum. They're *finally* making it into a movie, and they've cast Katherine Heigel as Stephanie Plum, which is just FRONG.

I don't hate Heigel, I think she's fine for light romantic comedies and overwrought TV, but she's so sophisticate LA, and Stephanie's soooo Jersey. It's not even the looks in how she's described in the books. It's just the wrong demeanor, wrong everything.

GRRRRRR. They'd better cast someone good as Lula and Ranger. :mad:

Such bad news, she is so not Stephanie. Stephanie is more a younger Sandra Bullock or anybody else.

Re other books discussed previously - I just saw the movie 'The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo' (swedish movie) - excellent movie. I have not read the books yet. I saw the film in a filmclub that sees movies before release in US, with a professor from Yale for discussion. Many said the movie was a good adaptation of the book. I am definitely going to read the series.

Rex
03-17-2010, 02:20 PM
He Talk Like A White Boy by Joseph C. Phillips, a conservative African-American actor-writer, best known for his role on The Cosby Show as Denise Huxtable's naval officer husband. An interesting read on race and politics. The title of the book, if not the politics on the pages of it, could apply easily to me :). It's kind of scary to see myself agreeing with a staunch conservative on some issues. But he needs to take his tongue out of George W. Bush's butt; the man was NOT the hero he makes him out to be.

immoimeme
03-17-2010, 10:50 PM
I am 2/3 way thru House of Sand and Fog and have felt no need for a plastic bag yet. I do however need to put the book down and do SOMETHING but I just can't! It's very compelling reading.

IceAlisa
03-17-2010, 11:01 PM
It's kind of scary to see myself agreeing with a staunch conservative on some issues.
I am used to it as I am used to agreeing with staunch liberals on other issues. My politics are so salad bar.

But he needs to take his tongue out of George W. Bush's butt; the man was NOT the hero he makes him out to be.

W a hero??? :lol:

Rex
03-17-2010, 11:37 PM
I am used to it as I am used to agreeing with staunch liberals on other issues. My politics are so salad bar.
I think that I am that way too....

W a hero??? :lol: In Phillips' rather twisted eyes, hell to the yes. Ronald Reagan too.

If you ever get invited to his house, don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Matryeshka
03-24-2010, 02:39 AM
Reading on the fluffy side reviews:

Just finished Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer's Wild Ride. If any of you were tempted to rush out and buy it in hardback, ummm, don't. Or buy it in paperback. Or ever. Check it out at your local library if you absolutely must, but I wouldn't. And while I would LOVE to blame it all on Bob Mayer, but Agnes and the Hitman was pretty good. I think Crusie's been reading a lot of urban fantasy, but she doesn't write that style so well. It also can't make up its mind what type of book it wants to be--the best parts are with the secondary main character, Ethan, and I'm pretty damn sure it was Mayer who wrote most of that plot line. She might have also read some Sarah Addison Allen since her last book--there are touches of magical realism...in baking. Which is Sarah Addison Allen's schtick, and should remain her schtick. Making that more obvious is....

Sarah Addison Allen's new book, The Girl Who Chased the Moon, came out today. She written the same damn thing three times, but I don't care, I lurves it. IMO, it's not as good as The Sugar Queen, but that could be because BBQ doesn't float my boat. But there's just some luminous quality to her writing. It's so unabashadly romantic--not just in the boy-girl sense, but the general setting.

shells
03-24-2010, 03:43 AM
Sarah Addison Allen's new book, The Girl Who Chased the Moon, came out today. She written the same damn thing three times, but I don't care, I lurves it. IMO, it's not as good as The Sugar Queen, but that could be because BBQ doesn't float my boat. But there's just some luminous quality to her writing. It's so unabashadly romantic--not just in the boy-girl sense, but the general setting.

OOoh! Happy to hear it, I must remember to go buy it on payday :)

IceAlisa
03-24-2010, 05:52 AM
Done with On Beauty (great book!) and am 2/3 into Ann Mah's Kitchen Chinese (a big "thank you" to the FSUer who recommended it). Vast improvement from the similarly themed but IMO failed book called Serve The People.

Kitchen Chinese is a nice change of pace from On Beauty (did I mention On Beauty is a great book?).

I am enjoying the easily flowing narrative, the foodie talk and the storyline even though it's rather chick-litty. I actually care about the heroine who is extremely likable and approachable.

This would be a terrific summer read for anyone who enjoys food/travel writing about China with a little cute storyline as icing on the cake.

Today I bought the paperback of The Girl Who Played With Fire. Going to the East Coast this weekend so this will be my reading material on the plane.

Melly80
03-24-2010, 08:08 AM
I'm in the middle of Carlos Ruiz Zafón's "The angel's game" and loving it! I already loved his first one"Shadow of the wind" and the new one is similar in style. I love the way he creates mysterious and dark atmospheres. It's suspense, mystery, love, literature in one novel.

Prancer
03-24-2010, 10:51 AM
My brain is not what it used to be; I'm not losing it, but it just doesn't quite tick over like it used to. Words escape me. I forget stuff I used to remember effortlessly. Sometimes it takes a minute for things to connect.

This was not a good point in my life for me to read Still Alice. (http://www.amazon.com/Still-Alice-Lisa-Genova/dp/1439102813) :scream:

But still--a very good book for anyone interested in Alzheimer's.

rfisher
03-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Am listening to a Donna Leon book. I tried one of hers before and never got beyond the first chapter. I absolutely hate the narrator. All his Italian voices sound very British. He should just read the damn thing. That being said, I'll give her books another try.

This week is Border's 30% off educuator week. I bought:
Curse of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz (supposed to be funny)
Death of a Cozy Writer by GM Malliet
Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell (this is the Swedish series PBS started last fall),
Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey (set in Ghana supposed to be similar to Alexander McCall's Mwa Ramotswe books---which he has a new one coming out in April :cheer:)
The Little Death by PJ Parrish (sex, murder and money--what more could you ask for?),
Bulletproof Mascara by Bethany Manes (just for fun)
Revelation by CJ Sansom (the 3rd of his Matthew Shardlake mysteries set in Tudor England
Our Lady of Immaculate Deception by Nancy Martin (almost finished...sort of Plumish except the lead character is much more :kickass: than Plum...This is the first of a new series by Martin set in Pittsburg. Good quick beach read)

PDilemma
03-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Some good things I've read lately---

Sotah by Naomi Ragen. Excellent look at a different culture and has a lot about life and spirituality that made me think.

Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy. Not as good as her early works (I adore Firefly Summer and have read it more than once) but still engaging with interesting characters.

Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani. Nice chick lit escapism with better characters than most chick lit.

Jenny
03-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Just finished Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer's Wild Ride. If any of you were tempted to rush out and buy it in hardback, ummm, don't. Or buy it in paperback. Or ever. Check it out at your local library if you absolutely must, but I wouldn't.

I looked at this in the bookstore today and didn't buy it - and I've read every Crusie book, including her early romances. The description just didn't sound appealing at all, and after your review, I think I made the right decision in the store. She makes yet another shout out to Buffy in the thank yous - I think that's where this one might have come from.

I wish she'd go back to writing her own books, as the characters were all so engaging, and the writing fun and smart. Sigh.

smurfy
03-25-2010, 03:24 AM
This was not a good point in my life for me to read Still Alice. (http://www.amazon.com/Still-Alice-Lisa-Genova/dp/1439102813) :scream:

But still--a very good book for anyone interested in Alzheimer's.

Read it in bookclub last year. Good book, but yes, disturbing and realistic. Generated good discussion in my bookclub.

Just read 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel for bookclub. Really enjoyable, escapist.

Fergus
03-25-2010, 12:35 PM
The Fifth Servant by Kenneth Wishnia, a mystery set primarily in the Jewish ghetto of 17th century Prague. Wishnia employs excellent descriptive skills.