PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Evilynn
03-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I am a 3 Musketeers fanatic. I bought a complete set of Dumas at a flea market 25 years ago. They were printed in 1910. There are about 20+ of them...they're gorgeous and have the most beautiful illustration plates. The translation is also very non-contemporary-very florid! But they're fantastic. I could read "3 Musketeers" over and over...D'Artagnan is my alter ego....

And there are 6 Musketeer books: 3 Musk., 4 Musk., Twenty Years Later, Louise de Valiere (I think), Vicompte de Bragalonne (Athos' son,) and Man in the Iron Mask. They're all great.

6? Holy crap. I've read the first three, which I loved, when I was a kid. Unfortunately the version of TCoMC I got my hands on was a part 1 of 2 kind of deal, so I need to find a version that's the whole book instead. Grrr. Instead I picked up Love, Again by Doris Lessing.

I also finished Terry Pratchett's Nation this weekend, and I loved it! It was a bit of a surprise for me, since I normally don't like shipwreck novels. It's not Discworld-funny, but it is funny. It's also quite a bit darker and more adult than most of his books.

Nickel
03-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I haven't been following this thread at all but just wanted to interject at how much I lurve Jennifer Crusie, lol. I am slowly trying to catch up on everything she's written. (I only read for a bit right before bed, that's why I'm so slow.) Her romance novels are light and fun but I am especially enjoying the ones on which she has teamed up with Bob Mayer. I recently finished Don't Look Down and am on Agnes and the Hitman at the moment. (and also reading her very first book, Manhunting, which I guess she first published as a Harlequin romance, lol....I used to read those when I was in my late teens and early 20's)

PrincessLeppard
03-08-2010, 07:13 PM
I also finished Terry Pratchett's Nation this weekend, and I loved it! It was a bit of a surprise for me, since I normally don't like shipwreck novels. It's not Discworld-funny, but it is funny. It's also quite a bit darker and more adult than most of his books.

You are better than me. I've tried twice. And I've got too much other stuff to read to go for Take Three.

Evilynn
03-09-2010, 09:24 AM
You are better than me. I've tried twice. And I've got too much other stuff to read to go for Take Three.

Well, I'm on two false starts of The Count of Monte Cristo and I think I started Foucault's Pendulum twice as well, so I'm not a stranger to the phenomenon. :lol:

There's +30 books on my unread shelf at home again. Argh?

merrywidow
03-09-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm 100 pages into Amy Tan's "Saving Fish from Drowning". She never disappoints.

Andora
03-09-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm 100 pages into Amy Tan's "Saving Fish from Drowning". She never disappoints.

I love, LOVE Amy Tan. Kitchen God's Wife is still one of my favourite books. Does Saving Fish From Drowning compare? I kept picking it up to read at night, but the first few pages somehow wound up either off-putting (because I'm chicken) or just not grabbing.

rfisher
03-10-2010, 02:38 AM
I haven't been following this thread at all but just wanted to interject at how much I lurve Jennifer Crusie, lol. I am slowly trying to catch up on everything she's written. (I only read for a bit right before bed, that's why I'm so slow.) Her romance novels are light and fun but I am especially enjoying the ones on which she has teamed up with Bob Mayer. I recently finished Don't Look Down and am on Agnes and the Hitman at the moment. (and also reading her very first book, Manhunting, which I guess she first published as a Harlequin romance, lol....I used to read those when I was in my late teens and early 20's)

Jenny and Bob have a new book, Wild Ride, that comes out March 16. I support her and try to at least buy the paperback. He's a jerk and I wouldn't buy any of his books (and neither does anybody else which is why he's teamed up with Jenny).

Christina
03-10-2010, 03:16 AM
I can't believe I'm going to admit this. I'm 39 years old and I just finished the first four books of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I have book 5, I just haven't started it yet.

I am also starting Thereby Hangs a Tail, the second book by the guy who wrote Dog On It.

Yep, I read easy crap and I'm proud of it! I think it was all those books and research I had to do in college that got to me....

Matryeshka
03-10-2010, 03:18 AM
I read Hitler's Willing Executioners. It didn't say anything new or anything particularly interesting that hadn't already been said. If you want to get inside his willing executioners, read Albert Speer's Inside the Third Reich. Speer was the Nazi Minister of Arms, and his lies in the book are as revealing of the mindset of Nazis as his truths, if not more so.

Finished reading The Art of Racing in the Rain. It was sooooo good. HIGHLY recommend it. I think it's maybe the type of book Jodi Piccoult tries to write, but doesn't have the ability to do so.

I also read There Once Was A Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales by Ludmilla Petrushevskaya. It was interesting and very Russian. And that's all I can say about that.

After that little ditty, I decided I am entitled to a month of lighter reading. So far, I have read Shalador's Lady by Anne Bishop. Anne Bishop is one of the few fantasy authors I still read. She created such a beautiful, sensual, lethal dark world with the Black Jewels novels. It doesn't have the same depth or elegance as The Black Jewels Trilogy, but it's pretty good nonetheless...and I LOVE the kindred.

Getting ready to read the new Robert Crais. :cheer2:

Prancer
03-10-2010, 03:24 AM
Yep, I read easy crap and I'm proud of it! I think it was all those books and research I had to do in college that got to me....

Literary theory makes me positively itch for Harlequins.

PrincessLeppard
03-10-2010, 03:41 AM
You should do a Marxist reading of a Barbara Cartland novel.

Prancer
03-10-2010, 03:42 AM
You should do a Marxist reading of a Barbara Cartland novel.

What sort of sick mind would come up with something like that--and then make someone else read it?

emason
03-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Shalador's Lady[/I] by Anne Bishop. Anne Bishop is one of the few fantasy authors I still read. She created such a beautiful, sensual, lethal dark world with the Black Jewels novels. It doesn't have the same depth or elegance as The Black Jewels Trilogy, but it's pretty good nonetheless...and I LOVE the kindred.

:cheer2:

I like Anne Bishop a lot, although not enough to buy Shalador's Lady in hardcover; I'll read it next year when it comes out in paperback. I did read The Shadow Queen last week. The only Anne Bishop I haven't liked is the Pillars of the World trilogy.

I also just read the latest Dana Strabenow/Kate Shugak - A Night Too Dark. Love that series, love that character.

rfisher
03-10-2010, 01:46 PM
I am also starting Thereby Hangs a Tail, the second book by the guy who wrote Dog On It.

I didn't know he had a second book out yet. I listened to the first on audio. Chet's quite the dog.

Getting ready to read the new Robert Crais. :cheer2:

Joe Pike :swoon: You'll like it.

Literary theory makes me positively itch for Harlequins.

God, yes. :yikes:

I'm listening to A Darker Domain by Val McDermid. I've never read any of her books. This one is a stand-alone, although she apparently has a thriller series about a profiler. It took a while to figure out what was going on listening to the audiobook. It wouldn't with the print version. However, now that I have, the mystery is really good. It's about two seemingly unrelated decades old cold cases. It's a real mystery where the police slowly piece together clues from interviewing people. It's well written and very plausable. Listening to books on audio from the library has really expanded my reading list. If I like the audio book, I'll go buy the author's other works. I've discovered several new favorites this way.

I read John Sander's first Virgil Flowers book Sunday. (I listened to the 2nd and 3rd on audio first :cheer2: ) I love Virgil. I may have to try to revisit the Prey series again. I tried a couple and didn't really get into them, but I think I'll give Lucas Davenport another try.

zaphyre14
03-10-2010, 04:37 PM
I started Bishop's "Shalador's Queen" last night. I like her books but none of the newer ones are up to the level of the Black Jewels Trilogy. Those are truly Dark Fantasy. I made a run through Barnes and Noble last night and while I didn't find everything I was looking for, I can sleep now , knowing that I have new books to read in case I can't sleep. :)

Have anyone else discovered www.paperbackswap.com? It's a trading site for used books. I've posted 10, sent out five and have received the first of four I've found. Seems to be pretty good so far, although the sf/fantasy/paranormal stuff seems to be the most popular genre.