PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

immoimeme
03-06-2010, 02:56 AM
I wanted to put my head in a plastic bag after reading it.
Okay, so I'll ask my neighbor to keep all my plastic bags for me for a while :lol:

Kasey
03-06-2010, 05:04 AM
Just read (in about 2 hours) The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Disturbing....and kinda depressing. Need to find something for a good time now (although my next read will be my PALS manual for class this month, gag)

Holley Calmes
03-06-2010, 05:04 AM
I've been reading the Victoria Thompson "Gaslight Mystery" series books. Pretty good....in a genre with the Molly McGuire books, and though not the same era, very much the feel of the Maisie Dobbs books. Then I started reading "And Only to Deceive" by Tasha Alexander, and I knew at once I had to finish up the last two Gaslight books because I'm nuts for this lady! Very decent writing. I have a feeling Lord Ashton is not dead! I also have a soft spot for the name Ashton-that's my paternal grandfather's name, also my uncle, cousin, and my grandson's middle name. Right out of "The Far Pavilions!" Anyone remember that one? Ashton-so Welsh!

IceAlisa
03-06-2010, 05:47 AM
I finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last night. Overall I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the sequels. One gripe though...

SPOILER AHEAD
BEWARE SPOILER
Would the brutal serial killer Martin really run away and commit suicide after being attacked with a golf club? After having been so careful that no one caught him over the years, he didn't have a plan B if his "guest" escaped" her prison? He didn't try to retaliate? I realize that a good excuse for his action would be that he is a coward but I was still unconvinced. It lacked verisimilitude IMO.

I have now started Serve The People, A stir-fried journey through China by Jen Lin-Liu. I enjoy books about cooking and traveling but this one is slooooooooooow. This woman is just not an engaging writer. But I will push on in hopes it will pick up at least a semblance of a story because all cooking/traveling books never fail to tell a story that is intertwined with the themes of eating and seeing new places.

made_in_canada
03-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Sweet little book. Incredibly predictable but perfect light reading in the midst of midterms!

mkats
03-06-2010, 06:16 AM
I am so pissed. I've had The Girl who Played with Fire out for like 5 days and the library sends me a notice saying that it's been recalled so I have to return it by tomorrow. I haven't even gotten to start it yet and I've been on the waitlist for over a month.

rfisher
03-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Read JD Robb's latest Fantasy in Death..typical of the series...nearly finished with Alex Berenson's The Midnight House. Berenson's first in this series (The Faithful Spy) was gripping. The 2nd OK, the 3rd he lost the thread, this (the 4th) is sort of between numbers 2 and 3.

Listening to John Sander's Virgil Flowers series in the car. I've been a lukewarm fan of his Prey series, but I love Virgil. Either that or I love the narrator's interpretation of Virgil.

I have a CJ Sansom book and another Louise Penny waiting. Will probably get Chris Moore's newest at the bookstore. I have a 30% coupon calling my name. :shuffle:

Can't wait for the newest Pendergast book by Lincoln and Child coming out in May. :cheer2:

Prancer
03-06-2010, 03:04 PM
I finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last night. Overall I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the sequels. One gripe though...

ITA. How neat and convenient.

The ending of The Girl Who Played with Fire is even more so.

PrincessLeppard
03-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Can't wait for the newest Pendergast book by Lincoln and Child coming out in May. :cheer2:

It better be better than the last one. :drama:

cygnus
03-06-2010, 03:59 PM
I've been reading the Victoria Thompson "Gaslight Mystery" series books. Pretty good....in a genre with the Molly McGuire books, and though not the same era, very much the feel of the Maisie Dobbs books.

I love this series too, but I've had a hard time finding some of the earlier ones in the series- that's the problem with finding a series late. I may have to resort to ordering them off Amazon. Meanwhile- I've read the ones I have out of order.

IceAlisa
03-06-2010, 04:25 PM
ITA. How neat and convenient.

The ending of The Girl Who Played with Fire is even more so.

I am glad you warned me.

rfisher
03-06-2010, 10:10 PM
It better be better than the last one. :drama:

It's about his dead wife and how she died. :watch:

PrincessLeppard
03-06-2010, 10:57 PM
It's about his dead wife and how she died. :watch:

I love that he's single. :swoon:

As long as he, you know, doesn't get a tacky, giant tattoo with her name on it or anything....

I just bought e2 (e squared) by Matt Beaumont. E is one of my all time favorite books and I reread it quite frequently. HILARIOUS. The Christmas sequel was also funny so I hope I like this one.

My dad also gave me his copy of Game Change. :watch: Gossip!

I just can't decide which one to read first....

shells
03-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Last night I started a book I bought a while back out of the teen section called Secret Society by Tom Dolby. I thought when I bought it that I was told it was going to be a part of a series, but I don't see any indication of that now that I've read it. (which is a shame, I liked it)

I'd think the title would explain what the book is about pretty clearly. It starts off with a girl going to an exclusive private school in Manhattan. She's just moved to the city from LA and as such is feeling insecure about her place there. She is adopted by two of the most popular kids in her class and then is randomly selected to become a part of 'The Society'.

For some reason I always wanted to go to a boarding school so I'm a sucker for books that take place in that kind of setting. (though this was not a boarding school just a private school)

Looking for something new to read. Next week Sarah Addison Allen has a new book coming out so I'm waiting on that one, but I'll need something to keep me occupied in the meantime.

Buzz
03-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Just finished reading the novel "Push" and it is a very interesting book.