PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Andora
02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
I was in need of some light reading after a few dark and sad books (and, you know, winter in general). I picked up Hot Mama by Jennifer Estep because it was cheap, and had a neat premise with superheroes. I just thought chick lit with women saving the day might be interesting enough to make light reading enriching to some degree.

Worst effing book I've ever read. I still don't know why I finished it. I kept hoping she'd get clever at some point, but everything was SO obvious from page 5. Not to mention it was so ridiculously cliche and-- and-- and. Ugh. I mean, the main character is some stunning fashion designer who has a high metabolism and thus only eats junk food. I feel like a teenager wrote this.

Next time I want light reading, I'm going to pick up a freaking Archie comic. It'd be more interesting and clever than this book. I can't believe some friends of mine struggle to get published when crap writers like Jennifer Estep are on their second book.

Now I'm on to Sudden Rain. I was wanting something along the lines of The Women's Room by Marilyn French, and a friend suggested this, though I'm thinking she only heard me describe part of The Women's Room. "Divorce in the '60s? Here."

Satellitegirl
02-27-2010, 03:58 AM
Just a heads up, while it isn't completely depressing in all parts, don't read "The Things That Keep Us Here" if you've been pretty depressed. Great book, very sad in parts though(I mean it's about a Bird Flu outbreak, I expected some sadness, but it got me really good a few times)

Wyliefan
03-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Just finished Thin Places, a memoir by my "online buddy" Mary DeMuth. (I got to know her a couple of years ago after I wrote a good review of her first novel and she wrote to thank me.) It's quite a story. She survived repeated molestation, her parents' drug abuse, the loss of her father when she was a child, and more, and came out a stronger person. Amazing woman.

Satellitegirl
03-05-2010, 03:47 AM
Reading The Count of Monte Cristo atm.......don't recall reading it before, and I've always liked the movies made from it. Liking it a lot so far.

cygnus
03-05-2010, 04:51 AM
I just finished "the Sea Captain's Wife" by Beth Powning. It's a historical novel about the merchant seamen of the 19th century, and describes the journey a young wife takes aboard her husband's ship. It's really readable and gives fascinating glimpses into life on board a ship- the storms, the food, the dangers, the threat of mutiny and starvation. A great read- I recommend it highly.

Evilynn
03-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Reading The Count of Monte Cristo atm.......don't recall reading it before, and I've always liked the movies made from it. Liking it a lot so far.

I'm just about to pick it up. I've read most of Dumas' stuff, but I only got 5 pages into The Count of Monte Cristo when I did, and I hope that (a good 18 or so years later :P) I'll get through it this time.

Wyliefan
03-05-2010, 12:37 PM

I had an awful time with that book. May you fare better than I did! :)

immoimeme
03-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I am about finished with "Otherland." Fun Fact: the 4 books in the series were originally one huge book which they found impossible to print as one book.

It's been an interesting read but for brevity's sake I think I will skip books 2 and 3 and skim selected chapters of book 4 to see how it all turns out. (bad! bad! bad! I know LOL)

I think I will read "House of Sand & Fog" next. I just watched the movie last night- intriguing plot..... as well as quite depressing, eys.

Holley Calmes
03-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm just about to pick it up. I've read most of Dumas' stuff, but I only got 5 pages into The Count of Monte Cristo when I did, and I hope that (a good 18 or so years later :P) I'll get through it this time.

I am a 3 Musketeers fanatic. I bought a complete set of Dumas at a flea market 25 years ago. They were printed in 1910. There are about 20+ of them...they're gorgeous and have the most beautiful illustration plates. The translation is also very non-contemporary-very florid! But they're fantastic. I could read "3 Musketeers" over and over...D'Artagnan is my alter ego....

And there are 6 Musketeer books: 3 Musk., 4 Musk., Twenty Years Later, Louise de Valiere (I think), Vicompte de Bragalonne (Athos' son,) and Man in the Iron Mask. They're all great. I love how Dumas modeled Porthos on his own grandfather, a partly African officer in Napolean's army who was huge and wonderful. When Dumas had to kill Porthos off in MITIM, he couldn't do it and held publication up for months.

My dear Dumas books are 100 years old! Anyone who loves books would adore them. I hope to pass them on to my grandson in the very distant future.

Indra486
03-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Just finish with Anne Bronte's Agnes Grey. Liked it more than I thought. Highly recommend!

Dr.Siouxs
03-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. Excellent read. The chapters alternate between the daily events of a detective and a storyline that simultaneously plays out in his subconscious. The book is also appealing with its interweaving of pop culture, cyberpunk, noir, and Japanese mythology.

I'm eager to explore some of Murakami's other works. :D

Spiralgraph
03-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I just finished "Far From the Madding Crowd" by Thomas Hardy. I liked it a lot which surprised me somewhat.. I'm currently listening to "The Golden Snare"
along with a couple of other books. :)

Prancer
03-06-2010, 12:26 AM
I think I will read "House of Sand & Fog" next. I just watched the movie last night- intriguing plot..... as well as quite depressing, eys.

I wanted to put my head in a plastic bag after reading it.

shells
03-06-2010, 12:51 AM
I finally picked The Girl Who Played With Fire off of my bookshelf and read it. I really enjoyed it. I am anxious for the next book. If I recall correctly it's not too much longer till it's due out, so that's a good thing.

Not sure what I'll read next, I need to go to the bookstore and see if anything I'm waiting on has come out. OR, I could go to my bookshelves and find something I haven't read yet and read that instead :lol:

immoimeme
03-06-2010, 02:55 AM
I just finished "Far From the Madding Crowd" by Thomas Hardy. I liked it a lot which surprised me somewhat.. I was too. Mostly by how lively a read it was. And the language was understandable, modern almost. It was also quite lyrical.