PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
02-11-2010, 04:04 AM
I just bought The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It's been on the bestseller list for a while. Has anyone here read it? I have heard lots of good things, so I shouldn't be disappointed.

I read it and had mixed feelings about it.

I will say that the writing is pretty good and it will keep most people turning the pages.

IceAlisa
02-11-2010, 05:15 AM
I decided to give the high brow lit a rest and ordered a copy of Model Summer by Paulina Porizkova, yup the very same supermodel.

And I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It is nothing if not autobiographical, an account of a 15 year old Czechoslovakian-born Swedish girl going to Paris to work as a model. Porizkova sure doesn't sugarcoat a thing about the awful place that is the world of modeling. She is not a bad writer if you don't mind the constant typos, especially in French. She is well-read and well-educated, that much is obvious. The plot is not exactly unpredictable but anyone can predict what would happen to a beautiful naive unsupervised teenage girl in this biz.

I understand the ending has upset some people because it cuts off mid-action and leaves a lot of loose ends. I don't mind at all. I actually like it.

One character that caught my eye was this film director by the name of Ondrei Dumowski who lives in France and has a proclivity for very young girls. Now who could that be...whose name has a very similar ring...

Also, here's a phrase I absolutely loved: "The line for passport checks is as long as a communist queue for a banana."

Overall, I had fun.

sk8pics
02-11-2010, 12:21 PM
I also almost bought a Dean Koontz book...can't remember the name of it...but I usually like most of his books for a quick and good read.
Have you read A Big Little Life A Memoir of a Joyful Dog by Dean Koontz? If you haven't and you like his writing and you like dogs at all, you would probably enjoy it.

I'm reading Toepicks Cadaver Dogs and Sports with no Balls b Sherry Bosley. It's pretty funny, but I'm surprised at the number of typos or even just the wrong word used, given the author teaches journalism, and I haven't noticed so many mistakes in her blogs. It's an easy, enjoyable read.

I'm almost done with James Hillman's The Force of Character and the Lasting Life. This one is not an easy read but it's got some interesting ideas.

milanessa
02-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Has anyone ever made it through Hitler's Willing Executioners? I've had the book for at least nine years, and I haven't made it past page 45. It should be such a fascinating book and yet it's just....:yawn:

I bought it a couple of years ago in a used book store - haven't sat down with it yet but, based on your opinion, I may never get around to it.

Artistic Skaters
02-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I just started While I'm Falling by Laura Moriarty. Also reading short stories by Ann Hood - An Ornithologist's Guide to Life

IceAlisa
02-16-2010, 12:07 AM
I was underwhelmed by The Sweetness At The Bottom Of The Pie. It felt like a Conan Doyle/Christie rip off written for tweens. Except both Conan Doyle were much more economical and efficient with their writing. I feel like the author has not really found his own voice.

Now I am about 130 pages into the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I have to say I was intrigued from page one and it hasn't let up since. I can barely put it down.

Evilynn
02-18-2010, 10:24 AM
I started skimming Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel earlier this week in order to see if I could just book cross it straight away without reading it, but I got sucked in by the mails he's included from Dilbert readers. I think it's probably only funny if you're an office slave, but some of the things some managers do are just :eek: and :lol:. It'll still be book crossed, but I'll actually read it first. ;)

emason
02-18-2010, 06:21 PM
I started skimming Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel earlier this week in order to see if I could just book cross it straight away without reading it, but I got sucked in by the mails he's included from Dilbert readers. I think it's probably only funny if you're an office slave, but some of the things some managers do are just :eek: and :lol:. It'll still be book crossed, but I'll actually read it first. ;)

Book cross? I'm not familiar with that expression. Explanation, please. Thanks.

Evilynn
02-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Book cross? I'm not familiar with that expression. Explanation, please. Thanks.

The verb form for BookCrossing (http://www.bookcrossing.com). It's a site where you register the books you no longer want, release them into the wild and then register where you released them. It can be combined with geo caching, but it doesn't have to be. There are Book Crossing Zones in most larger cities, where you can also leave them. Once released the books can be picked up (in some cases hunted down ;)) by anyone, and hopefully they'll register a note on it and re-release it once they're done. It's a good way of getting rid of books you no longer want, without actually throwing them away, and for people to find free books they can enjoy. :)

Finished Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel last night while watching the biathlon, and the last third of the book was very weak.

A coworker let me borrow Terry Pratchett's Nation, so I'm going to dig into that during the weekend. :)

Satellitegirl
02-19-2010, 03:17 PM
I bought The Forgotten Garden. Looking forward to reading it after The Things That Keep Us Here. I really need to be better about reading the books I have before I buy more, but I can't help it. I love book stores. So many interesting things out there to absorb!

PrincessLeppard
02-20-2010, 12:30 AM
A coworker let me borrow Terry Pratchett's Nation, so I'm going to dig into that during the weekend. :)

I love Pratchett, but in two attempts, I haven't made it through that one. Let me know what you think.

emason
02-20-2010, 02:48 PM
The verb form for BookCrossing (http://www.bookcrossing.com). It's a site where you register the books you no longer want, release them into the wild and then register where you released them. It can be combined with geo caching, but it doesn't have to be. There are Book Crossing Zones in most larger cities, where you can also leave them. Once released the books can be picked up (in some cases hunted down ;)) by anyone, and hopefully they'll register a note on it and re-release it once they're done. It's a good way of getting rid of books you no longer want, without actually throwing them away, and for people to find free books they can enjoy. :)

Thanks for the explanation. I had heard of doing this, but I didn't realize the name.

Buzz
02-21-2010, 05:45 AM
One of the servicemen interviewed for the book "Last Train From Hiroshima" it has been discovered had lied. So not the book's author has appologised and will rewrite the chapter in future editions of the book. Sad that this Joesph Fucco lied about his service record and that story made it's way into this book.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/21/books/21hiroshima.html?ref=global-home

Evilynn
02-21-2010, 10:26 AM
I love Pratchett, but in two attempts, I haven't made it through that one. Let me know what you think.

I've heard that from others too, but he said he got through it pretty quickly. It's not as laugh out loud funny as most of the Discworld books, so I'm prepared for that. One minor obstacle is that I really don't like Robinson Crusoe-type stories of people getting stranded on deserted islands, but hopefully I'll get over that. :P

Thanks for the explanation. I had heard of doing this, but I didn't realize the name.

It's a cool little phenomenon, even if the majority of people never register that they picked up the book, hopefully it'll end up in someone's bookshelves rather than in a landfill. :) Especially nice in countries such as Sweden where you can't donate used books to libraries. I went past a Book Crossing Zone where I'd left a bunch of books a couple of months ago and they were all gone. :)

zaphyre14
02-24-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm currently reading Melanie Rawn's "Fire Raiser." It's the sequel to "Spell-Binder" which I liked, but I'm not enjoying "Fire Raiser" as much. There's a lot of "speechifying" about political issues and gay rights that seems to be forcing the actual "mystery" into the background. And the time and POV shifts are almost dizzying in their frequency and abruptness. I'm not inclined to recommend this one.