PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

missflick
02-07-2010, 01:12 AM
Apocalypse 2012. (The science behind the fictional movie). It's quite interesting.

falling_dance
02-08-2010, 01:15 AM
I've started reading Atomic Obsession: Nuclear Alarmism from Hiroshima to al Qaeda (http://books.google.com/books?id=m_exFGhuHfAC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false) (the subtitle of which I'd like to see changed). John Mueller argues that the destructive capabilities of nuclear weapons are usually overstated and that such overstatements have fostered needless governmental decisions that cost trillions of dollars and, as in Iraq, hundreds of thousands of lives. Mueller takes particular aim at the WMD category and its uses in politics. I'll say more about the book when I have a remotely defensible opinion of it.

mkats
02-08-2010, 05:07 AM
Books I've read in January:

My Enemy's Cradle - I'm not normally a big fan of WWII books but this was an interesting one about a Jewish girl living with her Dutch relatives, and eventually having to take the place of her cousin in a maternity ward where all the babies are to be given up to the Nazis. (Trying not to give away too much here - it was a good book!)

Ekaterinburg - by Helen Rappoport. Interesting, learned a little bit of new stuff (I love reading about the last of the Romanov dynasty), but on a whole kind of depressing given the topic, and while I enjoyed it I was happy to move on to...

The Fruit Hunters - not really a story per se but interesting nonetheless for some light reading. The author mostly goes on and on about wild fruits that few humans have ever tasted and touches on the history of fruit commercialization, popularity, preserving species soon to be lost, etc. I did not know that the Banana Republic actually once sold bananas.

Next on my list is Train to Trieste. I got The Enchantress of Florence and American Wife today from the library so I'm looking forward to those! So much fun reading I want to do... damn problem sets sucking up all my time :(

Evilynn
02-08-2010, 10:11 AM
I finally finished The Light Ages (http://www.amazon.com/Light-Ages-Ian-R-MacLeod/dp/0441012744/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265623736&sr=8-1), by Ian R MacLeod (gave it 3/5), although I managed to get spoiled by reading another of his books at the same time. *sighs* They were okay, but I don't think I'll pick up another of his books any time soon.

Now I'm dithering on whether to start reading Margaret Atwood's "Year of the Flood" or a book of collected Swedish folk tales.

zaphyre14
02-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I finished Bolton's "Sacrifice" and still think Wifey had one-too-many near death experience for believability but it wasn't bad overall. Now I'm almost done with Bolton's next "Awakening" and am finding the main character - a wildlife vet with a face so badly scarred by a childhood accident (as yet unexplained other than that it was caused by her mother) that people flinch when they see her, small children cry and teenagers taunt and threaten her whenever she goes out alone - which, predictably enough, she does a lot - extremely unsympathetic. I'm finding the creatures she treats more appealing - other than the snakes. In fact, if I'd known there was going to be so many encounters with snakes, I don't think I'd have bought the book.

Nomad
02-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Little Dorrit. We're snowed in, I only have four Dickens novels left to read, and by the time I finish it I'll have four months to devote to lighter reads.

Satellitegirl
02-10-2010, 07:44 PM
I just bought The Things That Keep Us Here (http://www.carlabuckley.com/books.php)

It sounds suspenseful...which always gets me. I also almost bought a Dean Koontz book...can't remember the name of it...but I usually like most of his books for a quick and good read.

And I bought book 5 in the Sookie Stackhouse series :)

FiveRinger
02-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I just bought The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It's been on the bestseller list for a while. Has anyone here read it? I have heard lots of good things, so I shouldn't be disappointed.

Bandana
02-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Just finished Prairie Tale by Melissa Gilbert. It was a decent read, she's very open and straightforward, could have been longer, could have gone into more Hollywood dirt. But okay, I'm not mad I got it.

Satellitegirl
02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
I just bought The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It's been on the bestseller list for a while. Has anyone here read it? I have heard lots of good things, so I shouldn't be disappointed.

I saw it and read inside the cover...........thought about getting it, but I didn't. Also, Hannahclear mentioned she's reading it, back on page 25 of this thread, so maybe she'll have a review for it shortly.

BrokenAnkle
02-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Woo hoo, just saw that Elizabeth Peters has a new Amelia Peabody coming out in April. Although the last one was not so great, I am still thrilled.

shells
02-10-2010, 11:49 PM
I read Visions in White by Nora Roberts yesterday. I don't know that I've ever read anything by her before, but I really enjoyed this one. It was more like a chicklit book than a romance, so today I went to the store and bought the second book in the series called Bed of Roses.

One of my former booksellers suggested the series, or I wouldn't have picked it up. She and I generally agree on things, so I thought I'd give it a try.

FiveRinger
02-11-2010, 02:03 AM
I read Visions in White by Nora Roberts yesterday. I don't know that I've ever read anything by her before, but I really enjoyed this one. It was more like a chicklit book than a romance, so today I went to the store and bought the second book in the series called Bed of Roses.

One of my former booksellers suggested the series, or I wouldn't have picked it up. She and I generally agree on things, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I bought this several months ago, but I stuck it in a drawer. Maybe I'll try it again after I finish my new book.

immoimeme
02-11-2010, 02:30 AM
I gave up on "A Place Called Freedom." The writing seemed very... pedestrian. As in pedestrian stuck at never-ending "do not walk" sign.

I am re-reading "The Dollmaker" but will stop that soon to start reading a library staff recommend called " Otherland" by Tad Williams. It's science fiction. Haven't read any in a long time, figured it's about time.

But first I am going to watch "Risky Business." Haven't "read' that in a long time either! :)

PrincessLeppard
02-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Has anyone ever made it through Hitler's Willing Executioners? I've had the book for at least nine years, and I haven't made it past page 45. It should be such a fascinating book and yet it's just....:yawn: