PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Nan
01-16-2010, 05:16 AM
I just finished "The Breach" by Patrick Lee. It's government secrets, world is threatened, throw in an alien type kind of book. Very fast paced and really kept my interest. Not so sure I liked the ending, but it's setting up for another book so I might be happier once I get my hands on that.

Prior to that was Patricia Cornwell's "Post-Mortem." I thought I'd like it because it's one of her older books, but I'm giving up on her. It just seems aimless.

Next up, "The Second Opinion" by Michael Palmer. Has anyone read it?

shells
01-16-2010, 10:11 AM
I went to the store yesterday and had one of my favourite people there suggest books for me. I have two teen books, and a Nora Roberts book. Not really what I would have expected from her, but...if she says they're good, I'm going to listen to her. We usually agree on stuff.

(one of the teen books is one I was waiting for, not one she suggested actually)

Hannahclear
01-17-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm reading The Help, which has been getting a lot of attention lately. I heard a story about it on NPR. It's quite the juicy tale, whatever one thinks of the praise/criticism. Definitely a great story.

I also picked up The Marriage Bureau for Rich People, which is another contemporary India/lightly humorous novel. I liked the last one I tried, though I don't remember much about it. Just that it was some guy with 14 kids. And that it was mildly amusing.

laurenjm
01-17-2010, 03:46 PM
I am hoping to finish book 5 of Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars saga and start the 6th tomorrow. I need to locate the 7th book, can't find in within the library system here so I may check 1/2 price books or Amazon!

Prancer
01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
I finally finished The Girl Who Played with Fire. I liked it better than Dragon Tattoo, although I have to say that the ending was a bit :rolleyes:. But I will read the third one. I wonder if Lisbeth goes off to Talinn?

immoimeme
01-19-2010, 04:20 PM
I finished "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and liked it just as much as "The Girl Who Played With Fire." (now, someone remind me I'm not "in" Sweden any more and can stop drinking endless cups of coffee)

I then re-read an oldie but goodie, "Smilla's Sense of Snow." If you have forgotten about it and liked the character of Lisbeth, you will like Smilla too. It is also good to read when it's very hot in the summer as it as lots of snow and ice-encrusted scenes. Cools you right down, eys. :cool:

Now I am re-reading "Jackdaws" as Ken Follett writes short, hard, and fast chapters--perfect for reading during lulls in competitions.

zaphyre14
01-27-2010, 04:24 PM
I had Clive Cussler's "Serpent" and "Blue Gold" going in the car for a driving marathon over the weekend and enjoyed them. Conspiracy theorists should love the plots. :)

At home, I'm still on my medieval mystery kick, having finished "Veil of Lies" and "Serpent in the Thorns" and now move on to "The Unquiet Bones" the first in a new series about a somewhat bumbling surgeon charged with discovering who killed a girl whose bones are found in a castle cesspit. It's been pretty entertaining so far.

Buzz
01-27-2010, 04:29 PM
The last Clive Cussler novel I read was Atlantis Found from his Dirk Pitt series. It was not bad, but I have not read any of his novels in a loooong time. Maybe it is time to check him out again. Thanks for the tips. :)

emason
01-27-2010, 06:49 PM
I finally finished The Girl Who Played with Fire. I liked it better than Dragon Tattoo, although I have to say that the ending was a bit :rolleyes:. But I will read the third one. I wonder if Lisbeth goes off to Talinn?

Hmm, I seem to be the only one who didn't like Fire at all. I actually stopped reading about 3/5 in because I realized I didn't want to spend one more single minute in the company of any of these characters. Ah well.

Right now I'm trying to re-read Emma. I have a real mental block about the book; I can just never seem to get into it, but this time I am persevering.

Cupid
01-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Has anyone read "U is for Undertow" by Sue Grafton yet? If so, I'd like to hear what you think of the storyline and the ending. It made me a bit confused (which isn't too hard to do, probably). :lol:

mila19
01-27-2010, 09:28 PM
I got a collection of shorter fiction by Oscar Wilde in English in attempt to enrich my vocabulary. Man, I lurves Oscar Wilde :inavoid:

PrincessLeppard
01-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Has anyone read "U is for Undertow" by Sue Grafton yet? If so, I'd like to hear what you think of the storyline and the ending. It made me a bit confused (which isn't too hard to do, probably). :lol:

I'm waiting for the school library to get it. But BAH! Can no one write a decent ending anymore? The last several books I've read have had craptacular endings.

IceAlisa
01-28-2010, 01:07 AM
Started The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. My secret Santa gave me a Borders gift card which I was trying to spend when I saw that this book came out in paperback.

So far it's fun. Flavia is a cheeky little girl.

Has anyone read "Good Omens" by Neil Geiman and Terry Pratchett? A friend who knows my off-beat reading taste reccommended it and while the concept is interesting, I'm having trouble getting into it. I've read it and vaguely remember liking it. Sort of. The one memorable thing was that the physical description of the Antichrist fits my son to a T. :P

Nan
01-28-2010, 04:16 PM
I just pre-ordered "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" from Amazon. The delivery date is about May 28th, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will come about a week earlier. I'm taking a trip and I need an "airport" book.

laurenjm
01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Finished book 6 of Crown of Stars and before I started book 7 I read Well of Shades-Juliet Marilliar, that took 2 days and now I am on to book 7 of Crown of stars.