PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

immoimeme
01-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Well, the incessant coffee drinking is true at least. ;)

Why? Why is that? Are people in Sweden under-stimulated, or what?

immoimeme
01-12-2010, 04:07 AM
If you like The Girl Who because of the girl, I can see why. The Dragon book focuses primarily on Mikael in the first half; Lisbeth shows up from time to time, but most of the first half is about Mikael and the Vanger family. Mikael isn't as interesting as Lisbeth, IMO, and so it's kind of slow going until she joins forces with Mikael. And even when she does, it's more Mikael's story than hers.

I'm reading The Girl Who Played with Fire and so far, the focus is on Lisbeth and events are a bit more exciting, if a little :huh: from time to time. the :confused: parts make sense in the end.

Mikael IS boring. Maybe I *should* just forget the first book altogether! :lol:

Evilynn
01-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Why? Why is that? Are people in Sweden under-stimulated, or what?

Well, it's dark and cold half the year, so, yes :lol:

Slighty more serious: Swedish people have about the same relationship to coffee as the Brits have to tea.

Prancer
01-12-2010, 02:35 PM
the :confused: parts make sense in the end.

I'm not having any trouble following the plot so far. It's just that there have been a couple of errors that I've found kinda :huh:.

I have to say that it is kind of weird to read about Tallinn being the center of the European sex slave trade in the book and then come here to read all the :cheer2: for Euros in Tallinn. :scream:

Mikael IS boring. Maybe I *should* just forget the first book altogether! :lol:

A lot of the things that happen in the first book are referred to in the second, so you get the more detailed versions instead of the quick summaries in the second. But Larsson's books aren't just meant to be mystery/suspense; they are also critiques of Swedish society and a lot of the first part of the book is meant, I think, to introduce that society before setting Lisbeth loose in it. The original title of the book is Men Who Hate Women, which has a lot to do with how Lisbeth became Lisbeth.

Nan
01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Which is more thasn I can say for Sandra Brown's "Riley in the Morning" that I have on audio in the car.

Wow, that's an old one!

I have to say that it is kind of weird to read about Tallinn being the center of the European sex slave trade in the book and then come here to read all the :cheer2: for Euros in Tallinn. :scream:

I was a little :eek: and :confused: myself. I didn't know if I should be happy or sad that my trip to Euros this year didn't happen. ;)

zaphyre14
01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Wow, that's an old one!

Well, my car is 12 years old and has no CD player so I'm stuck with Books on Tape in cassette format. I've been through all of my library's newer ones and now am sifting through the dregs. I'm hoping to get a new car (with CD player) before I'm reduced to Stephen King.

laurenjm
01-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Well, my car is 12 years old and has no CD player so I'm stuck with Books on Tape in cassette format. I've been through all of my library's newer ones and now am sifting through the dregs. I'm hoping to get a new car (with CD player) before I'm reduced to Stephen King.

Does your library have the playaways? My mother, who can only read on CD or playaway, loves them.

You can also purchase the tape adapter for CD's for your car. Its not the best but it works.

shells
01-13-2010, 03:11 AM
I am stuck on page 23(ish) of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I just can't get into it. I want to skip it and read the third book but it's not available til May. :P

Keep reading. It gets good somewhere around 200 (I think that's where it was anyway).

Matryeshka
01-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Reading For Fun is put on hold. I joined a book club, and the first book is [I]Pale Fire[/I by Nabokov. The format is odd, and that and the story is giving me a headache. It's not till the 26th, but I'm glad I bought it early as it's going to take me that long to read it.

Maybe I'll just find some criticism on it to make myself sound smart.

Holley Calmes
01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
I just discovered the Victoria Thompson books set in Victorian New York City. Yet another perky, pre-feminist feminist solving crimes and falling for a detective of unsuitable social class. But, hey, they're pretty good! I'm beginning to think this is one of the more common formulas out there. I do like them though. I tried the Daisy Dalrymple series but just couldn't seem to slog through them.

Prancer
01-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Reading For Fun is put on hold. I joined a book club

That's why I quit joining book clubs. They hardly ever picked books I wanted to read and then I would have to read them anyway so I could discuss them.

Reading for Fun has slowed to a trickle here, as reading for a paycheck is taking over :P.

IceAlisa
01-13-2010, 06:10 PM
I had a great and a not so great experience with a book club. Back when I did research I joined a club with some residents and a couple of attendings, one of whom was also a writer. We read some great stuff, including his original writing. Each meeting one of us got to pick a book. My contribution was La Chatte by Colette. All was going well until the residents graduated and moved on.

Then I joined a random book club recommended by a friend. The first book they read was In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Can't complain about that. But every single selection after that was so :blah: and the kicker was that I seemed to be the only one who even tried reading it since most of the time they talked about unrelated topics and the real objective seemed to be having a party and picking up guys/gals. Not that there's anything wrong with that but don't call it a book club and confuse people. :lol:

immoimeme
01-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Keep reading. It gets good somewhere around 200 (I think that's where it was anyway).
I skipped to page 200 and could see it would get better. Then I skipped around reading some of the Lisbeth parts, then went back to page 23 and started over. I'm halfway thru and really enjoying it. Thanks very much for your encouragement! :)

Prancer
01-16-2010, 03:01 AM
I'm halfway thru

Things really pick up from right about there.

SoNaoWat?
01-16-2010, 03:23 AM
Whee- wish I'd jumped into this thread sooner. Have read the following in the last 5 months or so:

The Shack
What French Women Know (About Sex, Love, and Other Matters of the Heart and Mind) by Debra Olivier
The Souls of Black Folk - W.E.B. DuBois
Robinson Crusoe
The Mermaid Chair- Sue Monk Kidd
She's Come Undone- Wally Lamb

Yesterday just ordered:

The Dance of the Dissident Daughter (Kidd),
Writer Mama (Christina Katz)

Yes, many of these titles were sort of assigned by my counselor. Just read She's Come Undone last night. Next to impossible to believe it was written in the voice of a teenage girl, by a man, but it was. (Was also supposed to read Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie Is Not the Answer, by Jen Lancaster)

Also just discovered a great blog, MightyMaggie- In Search of the Coordinated Nap. She's hilarious.

Also just read a book called Medicating Young Minds or something like that, about ADHD drugs and antidepressants and stuff as they pertain to children and teens.