PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Wyliefan
01-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Well, I almost read my 10 books in 16 days. I finished up the last one this morning at 40 minutes after midnight. Oh, well.

For anyone who's looking for reading ideas, here are the books that I read and my ratings on a five-star system, with five being the best. (If you want to read my mini-reviews of the books, let me know and I'll send you a PM with a link.)

Too Many Cooks by Rex Stout -- 4.5
Curiosities of Literature by John Sutherland -- 2.5
Ends of the Earth by Tim Downs -- 3.5
The Reef by Edith Wharton -- 3.5
Woe Is I, Second Edition, by Patricia T. O'Conner -- 4
Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs On to Facebook by Sarah Schmelling -- 5
A Severed Wasp by Madeleine L'Engle -- 2
A Preface to Paradise Lost by C. S. Lewis -- 4
Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer -- 3.5
Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde -- 3.5

sk8pics
01-04-2010, 11:10 PM
A Preface to Paradise Lost by C. S. Lewis -- 4

Thanks for this tip. I like C. S. Lewis, so maybe I'll try this when I get through my current pile of books.:lol:

Also, given that there are lots of House fans around FSU, I wanted to mention Hugh Laurie's book The Gun Seller. An easy, enjoyable read.

Wyliefan
01-05-2010, 12:10 AM
I agree, The Gun Seller is VERY good. It's really not fair that a guy who's such a good actor and musician also gets to be such a good novelist. :lol:

And you're welcome for the tip! It's not my absolute favorite of Lewis's literary criticism -- that would be On Stories and Other Essays on Literature -- but it's excellent nonetheless.

IceAlisa
01-05-2010, 01:00 AM
I am finally reading something in Russian after what must be years of mostly English and a bit of French.

I am reading Valentin Pikul's Нечистая Сила which extremely roughly translates as "The Devil" and is about Grigoriy Rasputin. To start, Pikul is famously anti-semitic, disgustingly homophobic and sexist. He also happened to write one of my all time favorite books, The Favorite about Catherine The Great's lover and statesman Prince Potemkin.

He does spin a great yarn. I've long ago decided to overlook an author's various prejudices so I can enjoy their art. Otherwise, I'd have to give up Hemingway, Dostoyevsky, Agatha Christie etc.

While I still consider what happened to the Tsar Nicholas II and the royal family a tragedy (shot by the bolsheviks), I am a lot less sympathetic. Nicholas and Alexandra seemed like extremely unpleasant, incompetent and ridiculous people, even before the extreme stress that Alexei's hemophilia had elicited. They continued a fatal course of incompetent ruling, isolation and public ridicule despite the desperate warnings of their cabinet.

To think that the revolution of 1917 could have been prevented had Nicholas and Alix had a few more neural connections in their brains is rather frustrating.

And Rasputin was the scum of the earth but an interesting, multidimensional scum at least as portrayed by Pikul. Very few if any nice or even just pleasant characters in this book, kind of like Wuthering Heights on a massive scale.

Jenny
01-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Has anyone read Wolf Hall? Everyone is pushing it on me, and I got a copy for Christmas, but the key characters have never appealed to me that much.

Wyliefan
01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I've been wanting to, but haven't got around to it. If you read it, let us know if you think it's good!

Matryeshka
01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
:coffee: I stayed up till 3am reading The Hunger Games. And am I going to sleep tonight? No. I'm going to buy the sequel and stay up AGAIN.

zaphyre14
01-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I just found out (duh!) that the Barbara Hamilton who wrote "The Nineth Daughter" that I'm reading - and enjoying - now is a pseudonym for Barbara Hambley who write the Benjamin January - pre-Civil War mysteries that I also like. No worder on Hambley's site when the next Hamilton comes out but the cover blurb says "first in a new series" so I'm hoping there won't be too long of a wait for the next one. And there's word that the next two Benjamin January volumes will be coming from a UK publisher. I really love well-researched historicals.

PrincessLeppard
01-05-2010, 09:02 PM
:coffee: I stayed up till 3am reading The Hunger Games. And am I going to sleep tonight? No. I'm going to buy the sequel and stay up AGAIN.

Nah, you'll be okay. The sequel takes awhile to get going.

zaphyre14
01-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Has anyone read "Good Omens" by Neil Geiman and Terry Pratchett? A friend who knows my off-beat reading taste reccommended it and while the concept is interesting, I'm having trouble getting into it.

Wyliefan
01-06-2010, 01:38 PM
I see Alison Weir has a new book out about Anne Boleyn, The Lady in the Tower. Looks very interesting!

Prancer
01-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I finished The Girl Who Played With Fire and am off to the library to get The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I enjoyed "being" in Sweden where apparently all anyone does is not cook and drink coffee, coffee, and more coffee ;)

Your post reminded me that my husband had stolen my copy of the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and was finished with it, so I stole it back yesterday.

Several people said the first half of the book was slow, but the second half was great. Well, I slogged through the first half and all I can say is, I really hope all this stuff about the Vanger family history turns out to be important.

Sweden isn't much different in Dragon, immie; there's still LOTS of coffee drinking and eating of food (although occasionally it is cooked first).

PrincessLeppard
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Has anyone read "Good Omens" by Neil Geiman and Terry Pratchett? A friend who knows my off-beat reading taste reccommended it and while the concept is interesting, I'm having trouble getting into it.

I loved it, but I love both Neil and Terry. (except "Nation." I've tried to read it twice now and can't get past page 30.)

piano18
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM
I am currently poring through "Cost Accounting: A Managerial Emphasis" lol

immoimeme
01-06-2010, 06:47 PM
From reading the second book first, I would say that it's worth slogging thru the Vanger family history. So fill up your coffee cup and slog on!