PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Buzz
09-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Oh never mind... LOL Just read a bunch of posts on youtube that gave me all the answers I need. I suggest if you want to see the movie when it comes out, don't go to see the trailer on youtube.

P.S.
My stomach is still in knots however. It always is after reading one of Lehane's books. :lol:

meggonzo
09-26-2009, 04:31 PM
I like Atwood too. The Handmaid's Tale is great. I've also liked the Robber Bride and Edible Woman, both were light reads IMO.

I am finishing up several projects right now including a paper and two or three presentations so reading is mostly on hold. I am still on The 19th Wife which made me appreciate the PI polygamy thread so much more.

Earlier this month before all the craziness started I finished Isabel Allende's Daughter of Fortune and plan to read the sequel Portrait in Sepia. I've always had a weakness for Allende and magical realism in general.

I've read most of Atwood's books too. Oryx and Crake is great, very intense read. For lighter, Edible Woman is humorous and interesting. If anyone has finished her new book, The Flood, let us know how it is!

I read Allende's Daughter of Fortune and Portrait in Sepia within the past few years too. I really liked both. I also read her Zorro a few months ago and enjoyed that too. A lot of action and adventure.

One of my other favorite authors is Alice Hoffman. I think I've read all her books by now. My favorites are Practical Magic, The River King, Blue Diary and The Probable Future.

I just finished reading The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian. Suspenseful and easy to read, it has strong ties to the Great Gatsby. The ending made me sad though, but it was a great read.

PDilemma
09-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Don't waste you time reading My Sister's Keeper! It was a light interesting tale with interesting perspective and it raised many ethical questions about the role of tissue harvesting and genetic blueprinting. I enjoyed the story .....until the last 5 pages! What a juvenile and shameful plot resolution! It seemed the author never had an intelligent ending in mind and just decided to shut down the computer and mail off the manuscript to the publisher! A major disappointment. :(

And now you get Jodi Piccoult. I think she and her editors think that her endings are clever twists that surprise the reader. But I've found most of them to be convenient ways to avoid more realistic resolutions that are harder to write.

jen_faith
09-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Just popping in to say TERRY PRATCHETT'S GOT A NEW DISCWORLD BOOK COMING OUt!!! :cheer: :cheer:

Unseen Academicals, due out early October. So excited so excited...

Am whiling away my time contemplating whether or not to read Mistress Shakespeare... so far it is sitting on my night table gathering coffee mug rings

rfisher
09-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Just finished Linda Howard's latest Burn. Typical Howard fare. She felt compelled to italicize at least one word every page for emphasis. Well maybe not every page, but a lot. It was annoying. :lol:

PrincessLeppard
09-26-2009, 10:10 PM
I just bought Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. :D

Fergus
09-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran: Almost beach-reading, but still has nice vivid descriptions of everyday Roman life (if only of the super wealthy class) &

The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George: A poetic door-stop, George is good at what she does.

NeilJLeonard
09-27-2009, 12:23 AM
I just got Crimes Against Logic: Exposing the Bogus Arguments of Politicians, Priests, Journalists, and Other Serial Offenders from the Broward County Library on Prancer's recommendation. Interesting thus far. More on it later...;)

NJL

IceAlisa
09-27-2009, 12:27 AM

Sounds like it's along the lines of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies or something like that. I saw that book cover at Barnes and Noble and :scream:. Don't like zombies much.

PrincessLeppard
09-27-2009, 01:44 AM
It's by the same people. Pride and Prejudice with Zombies was all kinds of awesome. I am hoping the Sea Monsters are equally cool.

Holley Calmes
09-27-2009, 01:54 AM

I saw the review in Entertainment Magazine with the illustration of Colonel Brandon complete with tentacles. Just about fell over laughing with delight! I'm very tempted to read "Zombies." I'm one who loved P&P and S&S but wouldn't give you ten cents for the rest of Austin's stuff. But those two I love. (I always wanted to take Emma and jerk a knot in her uppity little a**. But I love the movie "Clueless...")

Anybody read Mo Hyder? She's like a British Karin Slaughter..in fact it was Karin who recommended her to me. She's a seriously good writer, but she does get really into some dark stuff. She kind of makes "Silence of the Lambs" look like a nursery rhyme.

I broke down and got the new Phillipa Gregory. "The White Queen." OK, I'm hanging on, but what's gotten into her? These past two books feature women who are just not likeable nor anyone you can pull for. I don't mind villainesses...love them! But Gregory's heroines are turning into vanilla pudding. Yawn.

I also just let my darling neighborhood book store owner talk me into buying Diana Garibaldi's first, "Outlander." I am not a bodice-ripper fan, but this friend just swears these are the BEST. Any thoughts?

rfisher
09-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Anybody read Mo Hyder? She's like a British Karin Slaughter..in fact it was Karin who recommended her to me. She's a seriously good writer, but she does get really into some dark stuff. She kind of makes "Silence of the Lambs" look like a nursery rhyme.

I also just let my darling neighborhood book store owner talk me into buying Diana Garibaldi's first, "Outlander." I am not a bodice-ripper fan, but this friend just swears these are the BEST. Any thoughts?

Ask Karin S why she killed off my favorite character. :mad:

IMHO Outlander is DG's best book of the series. Two was iffy. Three excellent when C and J finally hook back up, Four-Six good and not so good. She switched writing style in four and I don't like the self-contained chapters. So far, I'm having trouble getting into Seven.

Holley Calmes
09-27-2009, 02:28 AM
Ask Karin S why she killed off my favorite character. :mad:

Yeah, that was a shock. I hated it too, and she said it was kind of a surprise to her too. If I get to interview her again, I'll grill her about it. She's a delightful girl....

sk8pics
09-27-2009, 12:49 PM
I just finished A Big Little Life, A Memoir of a Joyful Dog. :swoon::swoon: What a fabulous book. From the back cover:

"She arrived with her name, Trixie. I joked sometimes that it sounded more like a stripper than a dog. They told us we could change it and that she could quickly be taught to answer to a new name. But if it sounded more like a stripper than a dog, it sounded more like an elf or fairy than a stripper. Elves and fairies are magical beings, and so was she."

Fergus
09-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I broke down and got the new Phillipa Gregory. "The White Queen." OK, I'm hanging on, but what's gotten into her? These past two books feature women who are just not likeable nor anyone you can pull for. I don't mind villainesses...love them! But Gregory's heroines are turning into vanilla pudding. Yawn.

Oh, agreed 100%. I've always had issues with Gregory's writing, especially the dialogue, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Unfortunately, it was tedious and as you mentioned the heroine was dull as toast.

Which stinks, because she's supposedly starting a Plantagenet cycle and they were far more interesting than the Tudors, IMHO.

I am looking forward to Alison Weir's 2010 releases.