PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Jenny
12-31-2009, 03:45 PM
I went to a writer's workshop with Jenny. She's really funny in person. I want to like her books, but sometimes I don't. I do like her Cherries website, although I haven't been there in a while. I need to stop in and see what's going on.

:cool: I love her books. I think the post-Bridget Jones chick lit craze benefited her, but she also got lost in the flood too.

Nowadays she seems more interested in writing projects with other authors - I wish she'd go back to just doing her own novels. There are quite a few good characters from past books she could easily do more with (as she did with Welcome to Temptation/Faking It).

shells
12-31-2009, 05:24 PM
I didn't :wuzrobbed:

ok, my SIL gave me a very generic cookbook that I'm not likely to use, but no books :( So I spent Sunday determined to get The Girl Who Played With Fire. I went to the local used bookstore. I went to the library. Finally I broke down and went to Barnes & Noble where I got their last copy. DAMN!! I've been totoally engrossed, may finish it tonight. Then I'll have to search for the 3rd book, which no one seems to have, sigh.

The English translation hasn't been released yet, I think I heard it'll be out in the spring. ETA - I see rfisher already told you that though :lol:

shells
12-31-2009, 05:32 PM
So when you worked at a bookstore, your family got you books, and now that you work at Starbucks, they get you Starbucks stuff?

Er, are they familiar with the term "carrying coals to Newcastle?" :lol:

I know, it's weird right?

Jayne Ann Krentz...

She writes under another name too I think, but I can't remember what it is. Anyone else know? (because now that I can't remember it'll bug me until I do)

Still reading JR Ward's books. I realize they are doing nothing for me (I DO like to read books that are a little - or a lot - less fluffy), but dammit if I can't put them down. :lol: I suppose the point of paranormal books is that they aren't supposed to be realistic, but I read them and go 'c'mon...really?' But, they're like crack! :)

piano18
12-31-2009, 05:59 PM
the only books i read are the ones i have to for school lol

rfisher
12-31-2009, 06:00 PM
:cool: I love her books. I think the post-Bridget Jones chick lit craze benefited her, but she also got lost in the flood too.

Nowadays she seems more interested in writing projects with other authors - I wish she'd go back to just doing her own novels. There are quite a few good characters from past books she could easily do more with (as she did with Welcome to Temptation/Faking It).

I did not like her collaboration with Bob Mayer. Probably because Mayer is a jerk. I do buy her books just because I liked her personally.

Nan
12-31-2009, 07:20 PM
She writes under another name too I think, but I can't remember what it is. Anyone else know? (because now that I can't remember it'll bug me until I do)

I think it's Amanda Quick.

immoimeme
12-31-2009, 10:05 PM
I got The Girl Who Played With Fire only because you all raved about it. Hope it's that good!

Sassafras
12-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Picked up Krentz's Fired Up from the library today, along with some of Debbie Macomber's fast read romances. Finished the audio version of Grisham's Ford County. He reads it himself and I swear I kept thinking it was actor William Sanderson - maybe because Sanderson is from near-by Memphis and speaks with the same inflections. Remember Larry, Darryl & my other brother Darryl from Newhart? Just started the audio version of Clive Cussler's The Wrecker.

Sassafras
12-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Jayne Ann Krentz/Jayne Castle/Amanda Quick are one and the same.

It's interesting that FIRED UP Book One of the Dreamlight Trilogy An Arcane Society Novel - Book #7 has Jayne Ann Krentz listed as the author, but BURNING LAMP Book Two of the Dreamlight Trilogy An Arcane Society Novel - Book #8 has Amanda Quick as the author. Guess it depends on what time period the books is set in.

According to her website she uses Amanda Quick for historicals, Jayne Ann Krentz for contemporaries and Jayne Castle for my futuristic/paranormals.

Prancer
12-31-2009, 10:52 PM

And Jayne Castle :).

http://www.krentz-quick.com/

ETA: Oops, Sassafras beat me to it.

I finished Still Life. It's not quite an old-fashioned mystery with a puzzle you have to unravel by separating the clues from the red herrings, but it's very close to one and is the first mystery I've read in a long time in which the identity of the killer isn't obvious from the far too early on--even though there is a big but very well-disguised clue that basically tells you whodunnit in the first half of the book. The major characters are well drawn; the minor "bad," as in unlikable, people tend to be caricatures, which is unfortunate. Nichol starts off okay, but becomes ridiculous (no one is that clueless) and the niece and her family are just :rolleyes:, but they're not major players and it's not that bad. There's a lot of humor sprinkled throughout, much of it unexpected.

I ordered the rest of the series this morning. I hope the rest of them are as good.

loopey
12-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Do you like historicals? Moderns? Straight love story or a plot with other elements (suspense, mystery?)?

Yes.

I will read them all. I read to escape real life for a little while, so nothing that forces me think, re-think, and turn back pages to find clues. Too much work!

smurfy
01-01-2010, 02:23 AM
Just read 'People of the Book' by Geraldine Brooks. I really enjoyed it, a quick read. Historical fiction, the journey/history of a religious book.

genevieve
01-01-2010, 02:43 AM
That would be because it hasn't been published yet. :lol: It's due May 25.
I thought the translation of the 3rd one was released this fall? That's what the book said anyway.

ETA: saw that shells said the same thing you did. I guess they're behind schedule then? :P

Prancer
01-01-2010, 04:29 AM
Yes.

Oh, dear. If you're going to be picky, it will make things more difficult :P.

I have a friend who reviews romance novels. I'll ask if she has any recommendations.

milanessa
01-01-2010, 05:02 AM
Spent Christmas week at my MIL's and forgot to take any books with me. :eek: Found 2 Margaret Yorke novels in a bookcase there and I'm hooked.