PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

sk8pics
12-30-2009, 08:52 PM
I would rather read Brooke Sheilds version of this book, but...I am glad that Andre has found his way, its always good when someone, whether famous or everyday is successful in sobriety!

So far, I like it. But I only read the first chapter so far; I see the second one begins when he is 7 years old...

my little pony
12-30-2009, 10:41 PM
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane: Related to Salem witch trials, set in the modern day.

did you ever read this?

bobalina77
12-30-2009, 11:19 PM
I finished "Under The Dome" late last night. It is not a Good Book. I can't believe it took him TWO YEARS to write-what a waste of time! The most amusing part of the whole experience to me was when I closed the book and noticed the classification was " F KING" :lol:

Oh.. my mom got my boyfriend that for Christmas because he wanted it. He says he'll start reading it when he "can read for fun again". He's taking psychology and criminology courses right now by correspondence so he's doing a lot of reading but none of it is fun :lol:

Matryeshka
12-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Finished The Secret History. It was like someone tried to make VC Andrews real literature. To be honest, I still don't know what I think about it. But I guess the fact that I'm still thinking about it is the mark of a good book. It was sort of like the reaction I had from Notes on a Scandal--compelling, well done, but I feel slightly dirty and icked from having read it. I also still don't know how I feel about the characters in the book--the only ones whose actions I correctly predicted were Julian and Camilla, and I guess the narrator, since he didn't so much act as blindly follow. I think actually I'm going to be thinking about it for a long time, and how uncomfortable it made me. My poor mother--I'm following her around with her telling her, she has to read it! I have to have someone to discuss it with! I recommended it to a book club I just joined, just so they can read it and we can discuss it more. So maybe I did like it--I just didn't want to. :lol:

Onward to fluff--paranormal romance/mystery novel here I come!!!! I need it after that book.

rfisher
12-31-2009, 01:25 AM
Onward to fluff--paranormal romance/mystery novel here I come!!!! I need it after that book.

Which one? I was in Borders and they had a bunch of stuff marked down and I got Rusty Nail by JA Konrath. Sometimes I like his books and sometimes they annoy me, but it was cheap, and I needed something to read at lunch.

Prancer
12-31-2009, 01:32 AM
Which one? I was in Borders and they had a bunch of stuff marked down and I got Rusty Nail by JA Konrath. Sometimes I like his books and sometimes they annoy me, but it was cheap, and I needed something to read at lunch.

Rusty Nail is one of the earlier ones, I think, so if you've read the later ones, some of the story lines will have you :confused:.

Every time I read one of his books, I swear he will go into the Linda Howard file, but it hasn't happened yet. It really should after that last one.

Matryeshka
12-31-2009, 01:36 AM
Jayne Ann Krentz, Fired Up: Book One of the Dreamlight Trilogy--one of the only romance writers I can stomach. Lately, she's been on a paranormal romance kick. Her protagonists are generally a little bit older, smarter, and more experienced and her heros not as handsome, rich, or unattainable as most of that ilk. I almost get the feeling that as of late, she'd *really* rather be writing straight-up urban fantasy, but her publishers won't let her. About every other one of her books are good, but I think her paranormal stuff is better than most of her contemporary stuff. If you decide to read her, be sure you're reading books written by her in the 00s. Her reprinted old Harlequins are :scream:

I think the closest to her might be Jennifer Crusie. If you take the dialogue/wit down a few notches and replace it with art and ESP/lucid dreaming, you have Jayne Ann Krentz.

rfisher
12-31-2009, 01:54 AM
Jayne Ann Krentz, Fired Up: Book One of the Dreamlight Trilogy--one of the only romance writers I can stomach. Lately, she's been on a paranormal romance kick. Her protagonists are generally a little bit older, smarter, and more experienced and her heros not as handsome, rich, or unattainable as most of that ilk. I almost get the feeling that as of late, she'd *really* rather be writing straight-up urban fantasy, but her publishers won't let her. About every other one of her books are good, but I think her paranormal stuff is better than most of her contemporary stuff. If you decide to read her, be sure you're reading books written by her in the 00s. Her reprinted old Harlequins are :scream:

I think the closest to her might be Jennifer Crusie. If you take the dialogue/wit down a few notches and replace it with art and ESP/lucid dreaming, you have Jayne Ann Krentz.

I went to a writer's workshop with Jenny. She's really funny in person. I want to like her books, but sometimes I don't. I do like her Cherries website, although I haven't been there in a while. I need to stop in and see what's going on.

loopey
12-31-2009, 01:54 AM

The first book of hers that I read was "Wildest Hearts" and I loved it. I ran to buy all that I could, and didn't like any of them. :( I thought maybe she was a "one-hit-wonder". I don't particularly like paranormal romance, so thanks for the heads up. I will stay away from giving her another chance.

I used to love romance novels, but I just can't seem to find an author that I enjoy these days. My old favorites either don't write anymore, regurgitate the same old thing, or have moved on to paranormal, suspense and other stuff that doesn't work for them. If you run across a good romance author PLEASE post the name!

Prancer
12-31-2009, 04:52 AM
If you run across a good romance author PLEASE post the name!

Do you like historicals? Moderns? Straight love story or a plot with other elements (suspense, mystery?)?

terisalyn
12-31-2009, 05:04 AM
Prancer - has your husbad read the Otherland books by Tad Williams?

Prancer
12-31-2009, 06:01 AM
Prancer - has your husbad read the Otherland books by Tad Williams?

I don't know. Should he?

If they're about the collapse of society, he's there.

rfisher
12-31-2009, 02:17 PM
I just finished Shop Till You Drop by Elaine Viets. I've had the book for sometime and just got around to picking it up. It's not about shopping per se. The lead character has a series of dead end jobs and this one is in a high-end retail boutique where the customers are snotty and smear lipstick on expensive clothing they drop on the floor in the dressing rooms. There are a couple of murders, some blackmail and other stuff, but if you've ever worked retail, you will sympathize with poor Helen. Viets typically works at whatever job she sends the character on so she has a good understanding of what she's writing about. Good for a rainy day or a day by the pool or beach or anytime you want to know your job could be worse.

laurenjm
12-31-2009, 03:00 PM
I just finished Shop Till You Drop by Elaine Viets. I've had the book for sometime and just got around to picking it up. It's not about shopping per se. The lead character has a series of dead end jobs and this one is in a high-end retail boutique where the customers are snotty and smear lipstick on expensive clothing they drop on the floor in the dressing rooms. There are a couple of murders, some blackmail and other stuff, but if you've ever worked retail, you will sympathize with poor Helen. Viets typically works at whatever job she sends the character on so she has a good understanding of what she's writing about. Good for a rainy day or a day by the pool or beach or anytime you want to know your job could be worse.

Good God its sounds like my job adventures at Chico's! :wideeyes:

rfisher
12-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Good God its sounds like my job adventures at Chico's! :wideeyes:

:lol:Then you should check at your local library and have a laugh or two.