PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

shells
12-30-2009, 03:02 AM
No g/c's for me either.

For now, I have plenty of books on loan to me, I have lots to read.

Prancer
12-30-2009, 03:31 AM
Instead of books, I got Starbucks stuff. Maybe my family thinks I've stopped reading now that I sell coffee instead of books??

So when you worked at a bookstore, your family got you books, and now that you work at Starbucks, they get you Starbucks stuff?

Er, are they familiar with the term "carrying coals to Newcastle?" :lol:

genevieve
12-30-2009, 03:40 AM
:eek:

There are people who don't get books for Christmas?????
I didn't :wuzrobbed:

ok, my SIL gave me a very generic cookbook that I'm not likely to use, but no books :( So I spent Sunday determined to get The Girl Who Played With Fire. I went to the local used bookstore. I went to the library. Finally I broke down and went to Barnes & Noble where I got their last copy. DAMN!! I've been totoally engrossed, may finish it tonight. Then I'll have to search for the 3rd book, which no one seems to have, sigh.

rfisher
12-30-2009, 03:43 AM
I didn't :wuzrobbed:

ok, my SIL gave me a very generic cookbook that I'm not likely to use, but no books :( So I spent Sunday determined to get The Girl Who Played With Fire. I went to the local used bookstore. I went to the library. Finally I broke down and went to Barnes & Noble where I got their last copy. DAMN!! I've been totoally engrossed, may finish it tonight. Then I'll have to search for the 3rd book, which no one seems to have, sigh.

That would be because it hasn't been published yet. :lol: It's due May 25.

Matryeshka
12-30-2009, 04:07 AM
I got a lot of books for Christmas, of which all but two were recommended previously in this thread!

The Secret History, which I'm reading now
The Art of Racing in the Rain
Cleopatra's Daughter
The Hunger Games
Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
The Book Of Codes, which is a gorgeous coffee table-type book of secret codes throughout the ages.

KCC
12-30-2009, 04:20 AM
I'm listening to Anna Karenina (Tolstoy) now. It's so long that I have to charge my iPOD every two Parts (and there are 15 Parts, about 2.5 hours per part). Enjoying the narration. I listen to my audiobooks when I drive, exercise, cook and clean house.

pumba
12-30-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm listening to Anna Karenina (Tolstoy) now. It's so long that I have to charge my iPOD every two Parts (and there are 15 Parts, about 2.5 hours per part). .

:rofl: you should try War and Peace

Melly80
12-30-2009, 08:39 AM
I read Cormac Mac Carthy's "The road" over Christmas and was a bit disappointed. It starts off quite interesting but leaves you with too many questions. What had happened before the country was all burned??? And somehow the story seemed so old, I mean, I swear that I've already seen several comparable movies in the 80s or 90s, some man walking to the sea (why always to the sea anyway???) through a burned and destroyed country, probably after some atomic wars in the 80s movies.:lol: Anyway, a bit disappointing, never trust the hype ...

Japanfan
12-30-2009, 11:50 AM
I read Cormac Mac Carthy's "The road" over Christmas and was a bit disappointed. It starts off quite interesting but leaves you with too many questions. What had happened before the country was all burned???

I couldn't get past the second page of 'The Road', I just didn't like the writing style. And I totally agree about the questions - for me there was a real absence of story, which is necessary to engage the reader.

After seeing the movie - which I found both incredibly bleak and exceedingly well-done - I tried the book again. And I still couldn't get into it. I want to say it was because the punctuation was too staccato but that isn't quite it - I just found the writing as bleak as the topic.

I'm currently re-reading Juliet Mariller's Sevenwaters series, a fourth book was published last fall. After reading this the first time and being 'wowed' I bought the books, which is rare for me. I decided to reread them after learning that the fourth book came out and they have not disappointed. They encompass the genres of fantasy, adventure and historical fictions and are located in Celtic culture at the time when Christianity is gaining popularity in northern Europe.

These books are enchanting - they may the heart beat rapidly and cause the spirit soar. Their impact is very similar to the impact that reading Enid Blyton's adventure series had on me as child.

immoimeme
12-30-2009, 02:21 PM
I finished "Under The Dome" late last night. It is not a Good Book. I can't believe it took him TWO YEARS to write-what a waste of time! The most amusing part of the whole experience to me was when I closed the book and noticed the classification was " F KING" :lol:

So now the reading choices are 1) back to torturing myself with "Angle of Repose," or 2) reading another library book entitled "Breadline USA: The Hidden Scandal of American Hunger and How To Fix It." Option 3 is forget books and watch some foreign films (sounds good!).

laurenjm
12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
I bought Andre Agassi's autobiography Open with a gift card. I may start it tonight.

I would rather read Brooke Sheilds version of this book, but...I am glad that Andre has found his way, its always good when someone, whether famous or everyday is successful in sobriety!

Fergus
12-30-2009, 04:02 PM
I finished "Under The Dome" late last night. It is not a Good Book. I can't believe it took him TWO YEARS to write-what a waste of time!

Oooh, I just started it and was wondering if it was worth the schlep through! BTW, still near the beginning, but poor little woodchuck!

Nan
12-30-2009, 07:50 PM
I read "The Road" yesterday. It was compelling and moving. I expected the ending to be much like what it was, but I was still left unsatisfied. I didn't need a happy ending, I just needed a bit more direction.

loopey
12-30-2009, 07:54 PM
I am reading Julie Garwood's latest: Sizzle.

Anyone?

PDilemma
12-30-2009, 07:54 PM
I just read The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet by Colleen McCullough. Not sure McCullough has read Pride & Prejudice as the characters bear little or no resemblance to Austen's. And she invents implausible ones and leaves out the ones that screw up her new take on the main characters.

It's a 5th rate soap opera set in Regency times that borrowed place and character names from a classic novel. Run far away from it!

(And I wish people would stop giving me P&P sequels. I do not like them!)