PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
12-30-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm not sure "Under The Dome" is a Good Book but that certainly hasn't stopped me from reading it almost non-stop. I have no idea why I care about allllllll (there are many) these characters and the dome generator thing is so far sort of stupid concept but I'm still reading it!

I got that one for my husband as an early Christmas present; I got the collector's version (with a coupon AND a discount, and it was STILL came to something like $35) and it came with a guide to the characters. :lol: My husband said he needed it.

My husband liked the dome thing; he loves books about collapsing societies and the end of the world. He said that the book was typical Stephen King--good premise, great beginning, lots of words in between and a meh ending.

He's moved on to Neverwhere (http://www.amazon.com/Neverwhere-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0380789019), another Christmas gift, which he may not like. I gave him American Gods (http://www.amazon.com/American-Gods-Novel-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0060558121/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_4) a while back. He loved the beginning, but really hated that book by the end. But I couldn't find any of the other titles on my list and I figure my son will like this one when my husband gives up on it.

rfisher
Starting: Elliot Pattison's The Skull Mantra (won an Edgar--set in Tibet)
TBR pile: Black Fly Season: Giles Blunt, Mind's Eye: Hakan Nesser and A Rule Against Murder: Louise Penny
Finished: Forty Words for Sorrow by Giles Blunt: it was OK...good enough to read another, 9 Dragons by Michael Connelly...typical Connelly Harry Bosch. Harry's daughter comes to live with him, Ice by Linda Howard. I swear I won't buy any more of hers and then I want a fast fluffy read and I do.

I'm listening to Ascheron by Sherilyn Kenyon. A couple of friends love her stuff and it's beyond me as to why. Even with the overt sex, this is a horrible book. I probably won't finish it because as soon as I get a chance, I'll be dropping it off at the library.

laurenjm
I am reading the 4th of 7 by Kate Elliott. I love epic fantasy and despite a few chick lits here and there its primarily what I read!

I do love Miss Julia by Ann B. Ross, but I am about 4 or 5 books behind!

laurenjm
12-30-2009, 12:27 AM
I'm listening to Ascheron by Sherilyn Kenyon. A couple of friends love her stuff and it's beyond me as to why. Even with the overt sex, this is a horrible book. I probably won't finish it because as soon as I get a chance, I'll be dropping it off at the library.

Every time I go to the library I read the back jacket of her books and I never seem to be compelled to sign them out!

I have read some pretty bad fantasy, but for some reason I don't even want to try her books. :)

Prancer
12-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Ice by Linda Howard. I swear I won't buy any more of hers and then I want a fast fluffy read and I do.

She's one I have to make myself avoid because I read the blurbs and think "Ooooh!" then read the book and think "Ew."

rfisher
12-30-2009, 12:33 AM
She's one I have to make myself avoid because I read the blurbs and think "Ooooh!" then read the book and think "Ew."

That about sums it up. :lol: Fortunately, for her, a lot of people read the blurbs and buy. She cranks them out about like Evanovich and runs a distant second to Roberts.

4skating
12-30-2009, 01:27 AM
I've been on a food-related reading kick.

I finished Bill Buford's Heat, which was primarily about his stint working as an ex-tern or "kitchen slave" in Mario Batali's Babbo restaurant in NYC. Now I'm well into Jay Rayner's Man Who Ate the World and I'll be sorry when I'm done. It is a fascinating account of Rayner's experiences in cities known for their restaurants, interspersed with stories about his own family's eating history. Both are professional writers, but I think that I enjoyed Rayner's style better.

Thanks to my public library for making both available with little waiting!

Matryeshka
12-30-2009, 01:32 AM

Same here. I always feel like I *should* like her books, but I've tried a couple of different series by her and never ever got into them. Maybe it's her characters. I can read just about any bizarre, horrible, unfounded plot so long as I like/care about the characters. I've yet to meet a Sherilyn Kenyon character I like who does things that remotely make sense. And to me, her sex scenes just all seem to be badly plaigirzed from elsewhere.

Currently, I'm reading The Secret History. This is embarrassing to admit, but I'd never heard of it till this thread, and from what I gather, it's a true modern-day classic. :slinkaway Oh well. I guess there are gaps in everyone's education. I don't know if I can say that I *like* it so far, but it's incredibly compelling, and even though I'm halfway through, I *still* can't figure out the characters. This book makes me feel really smart and really dumb; inferior and superior to the characters all at the same time. I knew there was a reason I don't care for the Classical Era. If I ever teach History again and my students ask me about why I have such a disdain for Greco-Roman culture compared to others (which is odd for a history person or anyone remotely literate), I will refer them to this book.

I'm going to need something light and fluffy after this one. Luckily my go-to light romance author, Jayne Anne Krentz/Jane Castle, has a new one out today, so that'll be next on my agenda before I start on The Art of Racing in the Rain.

sk8pics
12-30-2009, 01:39 AM
I bought Andre Agassi's autobiography Open with a gift card. I may start it tonight.

Prancer
12-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Currently, I'm reading The Secret History. This is embarrassing to admit, but I'd never heard of it till this thread, and from what I gather, it's a true modern-day classic. :slinkaway

I don't think I had, either. And I definitely haven't read it. :shuffle:

star_gazer11
12-30-2009, 02:19 AM
I'm going to need something light and fluffy after this one. Luckily my go-to light romance author, Jayne Anne Krentz/Jane Castle, has a new one out today, so that'll be next on my agenda before I start on The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Hopefully you like The Art of Racing in the Rain. :) It was the first book with an animal narrator I really enjoyed in recent times. I couldn't finish Leonie Swann's Three Bags Full, and there was another dog narrator story whose author I can't think of that I didn't like either.

shells
12-30-2009, 02:32 AM
Did no one get any good books for Christmas?

I didn't get a single book for Christmas. My mom got a Kindle and so doesn't go into bookstores anymore I guess.

A friend lent me a trashy romance series that I've been burning through. I can't remember what they're called but they're about vampires and were written by JR Ward. They are steamy!

Prancer
12-30-2009, 02:53 AM
I didn't get a single book for Christmas.

:eek:

There are people who don't get books for Christmas?????

shells
12-30-2009, 02:56 AM
There are, it always surprised me too. I have never been one of those people before this year.

Instead of books, I got Starbucks stuff. Maybe my family thinks I've stopped reading now that I sell coffee instead of books??

mmscfdcsu
12-30-2009, 02:58 AM
There are, it always surprised me too. I have never been one of those people before this year.

Instead of books, I got Starbucks stuff. Maybe my family thinks I've stopped reading now that I sell coffee instead of books??

I didn't get any books this year either. But, I did get Borders gift cards. :)