PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
12-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Is that his new book? If not, I'm sure I read it but would have to go find it and review. I read all his and Lincoln Child's stand alones, although neither are as good as their Pendergast collaborations. Lurve me some Agent Pendergast.

I picked up Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie yesterday!

PrincessLeppard
12-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Is it the one with the particle accelerator thingy, and the voice of "God" comes out? You have to get through it because it gets totally ridiculous towards the end, to the point where you are :rofl: You know he was thinking "MOVIE" but I'm guessing....not. :D

Matryeshka
12-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Yes, PL, that's the one. They've recreated the Big Bang...and the main guy just happens to be ex-CIA, ex-monk, an anthropologist, AND a computer expert! What-ho!
And don't forget the hot blonde cosmologist and the half-Japanese/half-White ex-sweetheart vying for his affection. Toss in a mad Russian and a genius African American from the skreet and we have ourselves A WINNER.

Personally, I think Preston internalized Indiana Jones and Michael Crighton books a weeee bit too much.

rfisher
12-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Is it the one with the particle accelerator thingy, and the voice of "God" comes out? You have to get through it because it gets totally ridiculous towards the end, to the point where you are :rofl: You know he was thinking "MOVIE" but I'm guessing....not. :D

Yes, PL, that's the one. They've recreated the Big Bang...and the main guy just happens to be ex-CIA, ex-monk, an anthropologist, AND a computer expert! What-ho!
And don't forget the hot blonde cosmologist and the half-Japanese/half-White ex-sweetheart vying for his affection. Toss in a mad Russian and a genius African American from the skreet and we have ourselves A WINNER.

Personally, I think Preston internalized Indiana Jones and Michael Crighton books a weeee bit too much.

Now I remember it. I laughed at the end. And then yelled at his picture telling him he could write this drivel here, but not to mess with Aloysius.

Buzz
12-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Unforgiving Minute has it's own trailer on Youtube!!! :cheer2: I have finished the first couple of chapters and it is quite engaging. There are also similiar traits in this book to other memiors by other veteran soldiers from previous conflicts irregardless of country like the need for young men to please their fathers. Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8IJUhfn53s

Buzz
12-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Ken Follett, heLLLLO!

Eye of the Needle--spies and WWII
The Key to Rebecca--spies and WWII
The Man from St Petersburg--spies (and WWI)
Jackdaws--spies and WWII
Hornet Flight--spies and WWII

I actrually own a copy of Jackdaws but it is in the middle of my "to be read soon" pile. :shuffle: (which my mom has mysteriously reduced in size somehow. :eek: )

sk8pics
12-19-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm currently reading three books:
Dewey (The Small-Town Library Cat who Touched the World) by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter. A very easy read, cute story about a homeless kitten who was stuffed in the book return slot at a small town library and adopted by the staff. Last night I was curled up on the couch reading it and my little Leo (who was himself a homeless kitten, found under the hood of a pickup truck) curled up next to me and rested his chin on my leg. Awww...

The other book is: The Force of Character and the Lasting Life by James Hillman. I'd read some excerpts and was interested enough to buy it. It's obviously not as easy a read and so it's going slower, but it's interesting.

I'm also reading Paul for Everyone 2 Corinthians by Tom Wright. Really easy reading and interesting commentary throughout. I just read a few pages every night.

I'm planning on reading Night by Ellie Weisel next. I've had it for a while, sitting with a pile of other books waiting to be read.... Seeing it mentioned in this thread reminded me of it.

One of my New Year's resolutions is to do a better job of keeping up with my books-to-be-read pile!:lol:

PrincessLeppard
12-19-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm planning on reading Night by Ellie Weisel next. I've had it for a while, sitting with a pile of other books waiting to be read.... Seeing it mentioned in this thread reminded me of it.

Despite the heavy subject matter, it's a very fast read.

Matryeshka
12-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Finished Blasphemy. I might have finally found a book more ridiculous than The da Vinci Code. I pray to Isabella, Super-Duper God Computer (or IS it?!!) extraordinaire that Douglas Preston and Don Brown never collaborate. *shudders*

Onward to Wolves Eat Dogs by Martin Cruz Smith. Must get all my reading done in time for Chrsitmas...where hopefully, I'll have MORE reading.

rfisher
12-19-2009, 02:59 PM
It's weird how neither Preston nor Child's stand alone books are all that good. They usually are sort of weird, but so are their Pendergast and friends collaborations. Yet, those are well written, great characters (even if they did kill off one of them in the last book :mad: ) and I can't wait for the next installment. You just know weird Constance and evil Diogenes baby is going to be evil incarnate.

Jenny
12-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Anyone read the new Crichton? Hubby is a fan, but the subject matter is a bit different than usual (pirates), and it was apparently found among his papers after his death, so I guess it's unedited, and who knows if Crichton himself was happy with it. I picked it up for hubby for Christmas anyway, but am curious if anyone else has read it.

sk8pics
12-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Despite the heavy subject matter, it's a very fast read.

Wow, that surprises me. So now I'm looking forward to it even more, since I've felt kinda guilty leaving it sitting there so long.

Onward to Wolves Eat Dogs by Martin Cruz Smith.
Well, that's an interesting title!

Prancer
12-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Onward to Wolves Eat Dogs by Martin Cruz Smith. Must get all my reading done in time for Chrsitmas...where hopefully, I'll have MORE reading.

Please post a review. I haven't read anything by Martin Cruz Smith in a while, but I always liked the Arkady books.

Hannahclear
12-19-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm in the middle of Who By Fire which is about a Jewish family that is very dysfunctional. The mom and sister are trying to get the son back from a Yeshiva, which they see as a cult. Are yeshivas cults? Now, I want to learn more about orthodox Judaism! :lol: It's pretty engaging though.

Lots of good finds at the library today. This is good, because I'm on vacation and it's going to snow big time tonight and tomorrow. I got:

Johannes Cabal: The Necromancer: Man sells his soul to Satan but tries to win it back by selling other souls to the devil.

Blood Ties: Start of a fantasy trilogy. Involves elves. I usually don't read fantasy, but what the hell.

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane: Related to Salem witch trials, set in the modern day.

immoimeme
12-19-2009, 08:49 PM
I ended up reading all 4 of the stories in "Different Seasons." I just can't go back to "Angle of Repose" after that. :P

So I'm reading something from the library-- "Inside The Mind of The Shopper: The Science of Retailing" to try and find out why I can't find what I want when I go shopping. Besides, it has pictures and graphs, something sorely lacking in "Angle of Repose." :D