PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
12-16-2009, 10:13 PM
I must say that when my mom turned to hospice, it was a real culture change. We went from pink and perky to this very matter-of-fact, "how do you want to die" approach. It was harder in some ways, but much easier in others. Matter of factness is another way to detach oneself. I am not saying a hospice employee has to get emotionally involved with patients but there has to be a good balance.

I need something light and frivolous to read now. :P

Not exactly light and frivolous but excellent escapism--The Ring of the Lowenskolds by Selma Lagerlof. The only drawback for is that it's a translation from Swedish and I know how much you love that. :lol:

Nan
12-16-2009, 10:19 PM
I just picked up The Road, but I will probably wait until after Christmas to start it, the holidays are depressing enough for me without adding to it.

Jenny
12-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Argh! I just got back from buying some WWII books at B&N for my son.

Definitely get him The Good Soldiers - content and style of writing are perfect for a young man who is interested in war (I should mention it's about the current conflicts, not WWII - hubby is interested in both).

Melly80
12-17-2009, 04:09 PM
I just picked up The Road, but I will probably wait until after Christmas to start it, the holidays are depressing enough for me without adding to it.

Me too, I got it as a birthday present this month. Many friends have told me about it, it must be really good. Maybe I'll start reading it during the train ride to my family on Monday.

Buzz
12-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Anyone ever read "THE UNFORGIVING MINUTE" by Craig Mullaney? I want to read it but have never read any books of the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan before.

zaphyre14
12-17-2009, 04:27 PM
I finished Harris' "What Remains of Heaven" and am curious now as to where she's taking the characters in the next volume. It's an odd place to pause.

I then jumped to Charlaine Harris (what's with the same-last-name thing I have going on?) and her newest Harper Connelly entry "Grave Secret." It's pretty good although I'm hoping that she's not shifting away from the "mystery" genre to focus on the personal relationships of the characters (a la Laurel K Hamiliton, which ruined her series for me).

In the car, I finished Luanne Rice's "The Secret Hour." I don't generally like abridged editions but this one read through without noticible gaps and it wasn't that deep of a story to begin with so it was okay. I started "Shopaholic Ties the Knot" because a friend liked the series and this was the only one on the shelf at the library. I'm not impressed. Maybe I'm just too old but this girl is just too stupid, shallow and self-absorbed to appeal to me. I'm hoping something terrible happens to her just out of spite. :)

shells
12-17-2009, 10:29 PM
zaphyre, generally Becky makes out ok in the end. :lol:

A friend suggested this vampire series by J.R. Ward. I thought 'yeah, ok, vampires...' She lent me the first two books in the series and I read them in a couple of days. Total trash reading, but perfect for this time of year. I need to connect with her so I can get the rest of them :lol:

zaphyre14
12-18-2009, 02:13 PM
zaphyre, generally Becky makes out ok in the end. :lol:

Darned!

I'm giving books for Christmas this year (at least to friends who I know like to read). I gave a collection of "new" Sherlock Holmes stories written by famous current authors who are fans of Arthur Conan Doyle. It looked good but the store only had one copy in stock so I haven't done more than flip through it. I gave "Angelina Ice Skates" to one of the little girls at the rink and a copy of Sara Donati's "Into the Wilderness" to another friend who thought the concept of Gabaldon's "Outlander" saga (time travel, withcraft, etc.) a little tough to handle. Donati's is straight historical fiction about a British woman who comes to North America in 1792 and eventaully falls in love with a white man who grew up with local Native Americans.

Charlaine Harris' "Grave Secret" is turning out to be pretty good. I like the concept of a woman who can find and talk to the dead. It's a nice change from all the vampire fiction out there.

And my big box just arrived from Amazon. As much as I hate the thought of a blizzard, I don't think I'd mind being snowed for a few days now that I have lots to read. :)

Prancer
12-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Not exactly light and frivolous but excellent escapism--The Ring of the Lowenskolds by Selma Lagerlof. The only drawback for is that it's a translation from Swedish and I know how much you love that. :lol:

:P

I decided to read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (http://www.amazon.com/Sweetness-at-Bottom-Pie/dp/0385342306). I have to keep reminding myself that it's supposed to be about an 11-year-old girl in 1950s Britain; it reads like one of those Regency novels about a bluestocking that are exercises in vocabulary, but it's lots of fun so far.

I'm also reading Haunted Ground (http://www.amazon.com/Haunted-Ground-Novel-Erin-Hart/dp/0743272102/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261145517&sr=1-1), which I expected to be a cozy read for some reason. As soon as I opened the book and saw the tiny print, I knew better. Lots of Irish history, quite a bit of science, gothic atmosphere, and a little romance--more entertaining stuff, although not fun like the one above. But very interesting.

IceAlisa
12-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Let me know how you like them both. I am always on the lookout for a fun book.

oleada
12-18-2009, 05:08 PM
So has anyone read The Girl Who Played with Fire or the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (which one is first in the series :shuffle:)? I'm looking for a good novel or two to give to my brother. I've already decided I'm giving him a copy of The Road, but I'm also looking for a second book.

genevieve
12-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Dragon Tattoo is the first one, I just finished it. It is a very good book, but it gets rather dark in the middle.

Nan
12-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Tattoo is first, Fire is second. Both are excellent.

oleada
12-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Great, thanks for the reviews! I think I'll definitely get it for him. He said he was looking for a good novel. :)

Matryeshka
12-18-2009, 06:24 PM
I started reading Blasphemy by Douglas Preston. Has anyone else read it? It's one of those books where I kinda want to know what happens but not enough to really read it--I have an incredible urge to skip to the last chapter, and I'm not normally the type of reader that goes to the end first.

Is it worth my time to finish it? The best way I can describe it is if I was reading this at 19 while taking a philosophy class, I'd probably think it was Deep And Heavy Stuff. But at 29, a lot of it seems a wee bit silly.