PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Matryeshka
11-24-2009, 08:30 PM
I just finished The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, which is a mystery with an eleven-year-old sleuth (but it's written for adults, not children) set in post-war England and has a bit of class differences as well. I resisted reading it because I don't like mysteries, I'm not an Anglophile, and I don't usually like stories that have that slightly snooty condescending view of ye good ole days of upstairs/downstairs England.

All that being said, it's a FANTASTIC book. I loved the heroine and her family and there was just something so charming about it, despite the fact that the main character is obsessed with poisons and she and her sisters play the most horrible tricks on each other. It was just different. Can't wait for the next book in the series.

shells
11-24-2009, 09:04 PM
I just finished The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, which is a mystery with an eleven-year-old sleuth (but it's written for adults, not children) set in post-war England and has a bit of class differences as well. I resisted reading it because I don't like mysteries, I'm not an Anglophile, and I don't usually like stories that have that slightly snooty condescending view of ye good ole days of upstairs/downstairs England.

All that being said, it's a FANTASTIC book. I loved the heroine and her family and there was just something so charming about it, despite the fact that the main character is obsessed with poisons and she and her sisters play the most horrible tricks on each other. It was just different. Can't wait for the next book in the series.

I've heard that it's a really great book, I'm not sure why I never took up the suggestion to read it.

I started reading First Daughter by Eric Van Lustbader (I think that's how you spell his name anyway) today. I only had half an hour on my lunch break to read, but it seems like it'll be good so far. I like thrillers, and if it can have politics and the FBI/CIA/KGB etc.. involved...all the better!

Evilynn
11-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Finally someone who's read Donna Tartt!!! I also loved her "Secret History"! Two years ago I also read her "The little friend" which I also liked a lot. Are there more novels by her?

I read 'Secret History' some years back. I thought it was a good debut novel, but I also thought it was overrated (people raved about it so much my expectations were skewed, I think). So of course I go buy the second book, and now it's been sitting on my unread shelves for 5 years! :lol: I really should get to it, but I think it might be next year, because I have more appealing unread books at home. ;) Atwood's 'The Year of the Flood' being one of them.

I'm currently reading Lev Grossman's 'The Magicians' (http://www.amazon.com/Magicians-Novel-Lev-Grossman/dp/0670020559/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259153647&sr=8-1)and I'm also stuck somewhere half through Kate Elliot's 'Traitor's Gate' (http://www.amazon.com/Traitors-Gate-Crossroads-Kate-Elliott/dp/0765310570/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259153706&sr=8-1). I'm not sure why, because I think the series as a whole is pretty good, but I just seem to get nowhere with it.

rfisher
11-25-2009, 01:27 PM
I read 'Secret History' some years back. I thought it was a good debut novel, but I also thought it was overrated (people raved about it so much my expectations were skewed, I think). So of course I go buy the second book, and now it's been sitting on my unread shelves for 5 years! :lol: I really should get to it, but I think it might be next year, because I have more appealing unread books at home. ;) Atwood's 'The Year of the Flood' being one of them.

I'm currently reading Lev Grossman's 'The Magicians' (http://www.amazon.com/Magicians-Novel-Lev-Grossman/dp/0670020559/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259153647&sr=8-1)and I'm also stuck somewhere half through Kate Elliot's 'Traitor's Gate' (http://www.amazon.com/Traitors-Gate-Crossroads-Kate-Elliott/dp/0765310570/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259153706&sr=8-1). I'm not sure why, because I think the series as a whole is pretty good, but I just seem to get nowhere with it.

What did you think about the Magicians?

laurenjm
11-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Since I read about 2-3 books a week mostly fantasy. I thought it would be fun to start with the A's (author) and work my way through to Z. I am on B's at this point. I love my library, being that it is the #1 independent library in the nation so I can get whatever I want from inter-library sharing. It makes my alphabet adventure fun! :)

Peaches LaTour
11-25-2009, 09:39 PM
I just finished "A Separate Country". (I love the way this man writes)

"Widow of the South"

"Assassin's Accomplice" This book is about Mary Surratt and her involvement in the plot to kill Lincoln. Since Hollywood is about to make a movie about M.S., (I cringe at this thought since Hollwyood always makes the villian a hero and the hero a villian in their movies), I strongly suggest reading this book if you are interested in the real facts about this woman (who, yes, really was one of the villians).

I've recently read both Robert Wagner's autobiography (which I enjoyed) and that of Tony Curtis, as well. I liked Curtis until I read his book. What a jerk!

"Whatever Happened to Randolph Scott?". Believe it or not, I looked for this book at libraries for two years before I found a copy. Not really well written but I loved Scott and found the book (written by his son) very endearing, especially the dedication to his father at the beginning of the book.

Peaches LaTour
11-25-2009, 09:49 PM
True. But I like his crap anyway. :P

Like most authors, Patricia Cornwell started well, and then it all went into the toilet about the fifth book, I think. But if you like the first one, I do recommend the first three, at least. :)

I used to like Cornwell, too, but her books got too bloody/violent for me. Yuk :eek: Her book about how she solved the Jack the Ripper case was interesting (even though I don't necessarily agree with her about it).

Evilynn
11-26-2009, 10:22 AM
What did you think about the Magicians?

So far I'm really liking it, and the recognition factor has been pretty high for me. I've still got 200 pages to go (I'm 60% through it), so I suppose it could go south on me yet, but so far, so good. ;)

Jot the Dot Dot
11-26-2009, 11:08 AM
After hearing about him being a certified astrophysicist, not to mention heading a British university as chancellor, I'm going to reread The Brian May story. Yes, that Brian May, guitarist for Queen.

rfisher
11-26-2009, 12:35 PM
So far I'm really liking it, and the recognition factor has been pretty high for me. I've still got 200 pages to go (I'm 60% through it), so I suppose it could go south on me yet, but so far, so good. ;)

That's about where I lost interest. :P

Hannahclear
11-26-2009, 02:36 PM
I love The Secret History. I never heard of her other book. How would you compare the two?

Well, not that you asked me, but anyway. I loved The Secret History! The OTT plot is glorious and impossible to put down. I re-read it this past weekend and still couldn't put it down, despite knowing how it ends. On the other hand, The Little Friend was downright unreadable and incredibly stupid IMO.

I am reading The Silver Mountain, a mystery set in colonial Bolivia. We'll see how it is. I also found a stack of Elizabethan mysteries in the library yesterday by Karen Harper. I was unaware of this series. They look good and focus on the young Queen, my favorite part of Elizabeth's reign.

I just finished The Penny Pincher's Club, which was dumb, but enjoyable and The Modern Girls' Guide to European Philosophy, which isn't worth anyone's time. Recently, I finished the new novel on Cromwell, Wolf Hall, which won the Booker Prize. It was good, but I prefer my historical fiction just slightly more trashy. :P

Evilynn
11-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Well, not that you asked me, but anyway. I loved The Secret History! The OTT plot is glorious and impossible to put down. I re-read it this past weekend and still couldn't put it down, despite knowing how it ends. On the other hand, The Little Friend was downright unreadable and incredibly stupid IMO.

Oh god. I'm never going to get through The Little Friend, am I? :lol:

That's about where I lost interest. :P

Eek! Well, they're about to go to Fillory. I'm hoping I'll keep liking it. ;)

BigB08822
11-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I finally finished another book after a long break from reading:

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. It was a good read but quite disturbing. I liked it.

rfisher
11-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Just finished Still Life by Louise Penny. This is the first of her Inspector Gamache of the Surete du Quebec series. Penny really develops her characters and the mystery isn't that easy to solve. This won the Crime Writer's Association New Blood Dagger Award.

Prancer
11-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Just finished Still Life by Louise Penny. This is the first of her Inspector Gamache of the Surete du Quebec series. Penny really develops her characters and the mystery isn't that easy to solve. This won the Crime Writer's Association New Blood Dagger Award.

I have that book on request at the library. I've heard good things.

I joined Visual Bookshelf on Facebook because I wanted to read a friend's book reviews (she's a professor of Medieval English Literature with two Ph.D's, but she reviews mostly Harlequin Romances :lol:). Aside from recommending a whole lot of self-help books I don't want to read (helpful hint--even if you've read it, do not list Rachel Reiland's Get Me Out of Here (http://www.amazon.com/Get-Out-Here-Borderline-Personality/dp/1592850995) unless you DO like reading self-help books), VB has recommended better and more unusual books for me than any other book service I've tried. The Penney books are among them. I've read four or five books I've gotten from their referrals and so far, not bad.

I'm reading Push (http://www.amazon.com/Push-Novel-Sapphire/dp/0679766758/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259452361&sr=1-1), the book that the movie Precious is based on. Definitely not a book for the sensitive or easily offended types, but an amazing example of distinctive voice. I should finish that one tonight and then I think I will go for something a little lighter next.