PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
11-19-2009, 07:54 PM
I just finished the most recent Preston/Child book and it was rather disappointing. Pendergrast is one of my favorite characters, and there's a lot of interesting stuff hinted at in the book, but never explained. Not to mention that they kill off one of the main characters, and that Nora Kelly does a lot of stupid stuff to get herself in trouble (if she weren't so stupid, much of the plot wouldn't have happened), as do a couple of the other characters.

Bummer.

Another Pendergast fan :cheer2: In this instance, we do like the same men.

I was a little disappointed as well and agree Nora was dumb as a rock. I think the boys were so mentally fatigued after the trilogy with evil Diogenes, they forgot Plotting 101 and just decided to kill off poor Bill.

I hope they rest and bring my favorite FBI guy back in his full glory.

Kasey
11-20-2009, 02:41 AM
Just started Driving with Dead People (http://www.amazon.com/Driving-Dead-People-Monica-Holloway/dp/1416940022), which I got on the discount table at B&N about a month ago for $5. I figure, no matter how good or bad it is, it's $5 and it's a book.

PrincessLeppard
11-20-2009, 04:27 AM
Another Pendergast fan :cheer2: In this instance, we do like the same men.

I will have to cat fight you for him. :cool:

immoimeme
11-20-2009, 06:44 AM
I finished reading "The Age of Innocence." Oh, NOW I get it!

Before that I realized I had never read "An Innocent Man," so I read that. Interesting read but not worth keeping. Neither is "The Age of Innocence" for that matter.

Next up is "Angle of Repose."

Dr.Siouxs
11-20-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm going to start reading Closing Time by Joseph Heller...has anyone read it? I hope it won't make me all depressed and sentinemental...

rfisher
11-20-2009, 12:47 PM
I will have to cat fight you for him. :cool:

I think he'd enjoy it. You just know there's a smoldering mass of sexuality beneath that icy blonde appearance.

made_in_canada
11-20-2009, 04:16 PM
I am FINALLY reading the Harry Potter series, and thoroughly enjoying them :D I've had intentions of reading them for years and have just never quite got around to it until now.

Prancer
11-21-2009, 01:52 AM
I'm going to start reading Closing Time by Joseph Heller...has anyone read it? I hope it won't make me all depressed and sentinemental...

You will have to let me know what you think of the book. I LOVE Catch-22; it's one of my all-time favorites, and I love most of Heller's other books, too. I've been afraid to read Closing Time because I think it might ruin Catch-22 for me.

Dr.Siouxs
11-21-2009, 01:58 AM
You will have to let me know what you think of the book. I LOVE Catch-22; it's one of my all-time favorites, and I love most of Heller's other books, too. I've been afraid to read Closing Time because I think it might ruin Catch-22 for me.

Eys, same here. It's been on my bookshelf for about 2 years now and its about time I've mustered the courage to begin reading it. I'll start this evening. :P

Prancer
11-24-2009, 02:54 PM
I just finished Sacrifice by S.J. Bolton (http://www.amazon.com/Sacrifice-S-J-Bolton/dp/0312381131). The book has a familiar plot--husband and wife move to middle of nowhere, fish-out-of-water wife stumbles across something that seems like an ancient ritual tied to local folklore, the locals all seem to be in a conspiracy of silence and her husband just might be in it up to his neck. Much of what ensues is :rolleyes:, which is typical of this sort of thing, but the author is pretty good at creating a sinister atmosphere and a creepy, claustrophobic tension. It's also rather gruesome in parts, especially in the opening chapter.

"The middle of nowhere" in that book happens to be the Shetland Islands, which is also, coincidentally, the setting for the next book I pulled off the pile, Raven Black (http://www.amazon.com/Raven-Black-Shetland-Island-Quartet/dp/0312359667), in which a teenage girl is murdered and a fish-out-of-water outsider investigates. The superstitious locals are all locked in a conspiracy of silence, and there just might be an ancient legend involved. I haven't come across one yet, but there are hints that one is coming.

Crossing the Shetlands off my list of places to see before I die........

PrincessLeppard
11-24-2009, 05:46 PM
I tried for the second time to read Terry Pratchett's "Nation." I have loved every other Terry Pratchett book, but I just can't get through this one.

GaPeach
11-24-2009, 06:03 PM
I have been told by a college professor to "get" Twilight, I have to read the books. I didn't care for the first movie. I thought the plot was boring and the characters were underdeveloped. I did think the tree scene would make a great ride at Universal. :lol:
Have I encountered one of those overaged Twilight fans? :yikes:

Are the books better than the movies?

PrincessLeppard
11-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Oh, God, we've had tons of threads on this already. :scream: *I* liked Twilight, the book. It's not literature, but it's a fun, quick read.

I haven't read any of the sequels, though.

made_in_canada
11-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Are the books better than the movies?

You should probably just find one of the old threads about it... They're terribly written and really kind of awful... However, I couldn't put them down and read all four books in a week. :yikes:

rfisher
11-24-2009, 06:48 PM
I just finished Sacrifice by S.J. Bolton (http://www.amazon.com/Sacrifice-S-J-Bolton/dp/0312381131). The book has a familiar plot--husband and wife move to middle of nowhere, fish-out-of-water wife stumbles across something that seems like an ancient ritual tied to local folklore, the locals all seem to be in a conspiracy of silence and her husband just might be in it up to his neck. Much of what ensues is :rolleyes:, which is typical of this sort of thing, but the author is pretty good at creating a sinister atmosphere and a creepy, claustrophobic tension. It's also rather gruesome in parts, especially in the opening chapter.

"The middle of nowhere" in that book happens to be the Shetland Islands, which is also, coincidentally, the setting for the next book I pulled off the pile, Raven Black (http://www.amazon.com/Raven-Black-Shetland-Island-Quartet/dp/0312359667), in which a teenage girl is murdered and a fish-out-of-water outsider investigates. The superstitious locals are all locked in a conspiracy of silence, and there just might be an ancient legend involved. I haven't come across one yet, but there are hints that one is coming.

Crossing the Shetlands off my list of places to see before I die........

I'm so disappointed. I just googled the author. My best crush in college was a history prof named S. J. Bolton. Not him to say the least.