PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

talulabell
11-10-2009, 05:07 AM
In Progress
The Lost Symbol: Dan Brown

What do you think of TLS? I like Dan Brown... probably more then anyone on this thread... but I wasnt a fan of this one. I was disappointed.

Two different friends of mine have recommended the Scarpetta books. I'm going to start reading from the beginning (Postmortem, I think).

I'm also looking forward to the new Alex Cross book (I, Alex Cross) that comes out next week or so. It's an actual Alex Cross book (not like that sellout name-whoring Alex Cross's Trial). I didnt like Cross Country very much, so I'm hoping this one is an improvement on that.

I liked these books better when they sounded like nursery rhymes. I think now that they all have "Cross" in the title (Cross, Double Cross, Cross Country...), it's a sign that Patterson's loosing his creativity

jp1andonly
11-10-2009, 05:51 AM
I started her series a while back and after reading the first couple, passed them onto my dad who loves them. Now he didn't like the Lord John series, but he eagerly awaits when I announce "a new book is out"

This year I picked mine up at costco and called home (several provinces away). He thought about it and siad "I guess I'll be going to costco tonight"

I am VERY busy so I havent been able to read much lately and have only gotten 150 pages in. I will agree that it is a bit slow moving and it really isnt my favourite part of history. I know it will pick up so I'm anxious for some free time to really give it a go...

It was an okay book for me, too. It was just sooo slow moving until the last 3/4 of the book, that it killed any better review I could have given it, although it's all very well-written. And the cliffhangers were so good, that it actually made me angry because I knew that it'd be another 2+ years until the next book came out. That'll teach me to pick up series before they're over!

rfisher
11-10-2009, 10:19 AM
What do you think of TLS? I like Dan Brown... probably more then anyone on this thread... but I wasnt a fan of this one. I was disappointed.

Two different friends of mine have recommended the Scarpetta books. I'm going to start reading from the beginning (Postmortem, I think).

I made it about 3 chapters before I moved on to something else.

I liked the early Scarpetta books, but she lost her way in the middle. The last one wasn't bad (compared to the previous 2 or 3).

silverstars
11-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I am reading both at the same time right now. I find the Zombies is better than the Sea Monsters probably P&P itself is better than S&S. I am disappointed that Quirk decided to publish another P&P Zombies. I seriously thought vampires will be next since they are so in demand right now.:D

Funny you should say that... (http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Darcy-Vampyre-Amanda-Grange/dp/1402236972)

Although I think that it's a sequel, not written into P&P.

Fergus
11-10-2009, 05:40 PM
In the middle of now: Wolf Hall by Mantel. Not bad. Not great so far, but not bad either.

Non-fic: The Sisters Who Would Be Queen by DeLisle, about the Grey sisters. Not bad, especially 'cause her previous one After Elizabeth sorta stunk.

Nan
11-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Was it originally in English?

No, it wasn't. It did take me a few chapters to adjust to the phrases and thought patterns, but in the end, that was one of the things I like best about it. I felt like I had taken a trip somewhere.

Fergus
11-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I read Mistress of the Art of Death last fall and enjoyed it a lot. I had no idea there were sequels!

This series was a VERY nice surprise! I had little to no expectations going into it and Adelia charmed the pants off of me! She's a great character and the historical detail is done very well!

LOVE how Mistress of the Art of Death began with Adelia sticking a catheter in a man of the cloth, it was brilliant.

Jenny
11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
In the middle of now: Wolf Hall by Mantel. Not bad. Not great so far, but not bad either.

Non-fic: The Sisters Who Would Be Queen by DeLisle, about the Grey sisters. Not bad, especially 'cause her previous one After Elizabeth sorta stunk.

I have that one on deck - do report when you've finished. I'm less interested in Jane and more interested in her two sisters.

bobalina77
11-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I finally finished Dr Zhivago! Now I'm reading something totally light and brainless. Sex and Sensibility: The adventures of a Jane Austen addict.

rjblue
11-12-2009, 12:25 AM
I finished "The Gathering Storm" by Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan.

**Newsflash**

Stuff happens in the book! Lots of stuff! We get answers instead of 243 more questions and characters. It made slogging though books 8-11 worthwhile, but now I'll actually have to wait for the two concluding books to be published. eta- The book actually bumped Dan Brown to #2 and entered the best seller list at number one.

And now it's time for something completely different- The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. It's a fascinating (and frightening) memoir so far.

rfisher
11-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Can I just skip ahead from book 2 where I ended to book 12?

rjblue
11-12-2009, 02:09 AM
Can I just skip ahead from book 2 where I ended to book 12?
Nah- just read the Wiki in two years to see how it all ends. You'd be lost trying to figure out the several hundred major characters that were introduced in 3-11. Rand as an an evil killer and Egwene as the world's most powerful and wise woman might be a bit of a leap too.

If I were going to recommend a SF or Fantasy series to someone, Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series would be my top pick, followed by The Foundation Trilogy by Asimov, the Ender books by Orson Scott Card, and Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson.

The Wheel of Time is a great epic story, with wonderful surprising twists, but it makes Lord of the Rings seem like a short story, and is really difficult to keep from skimming, because the prose is bloated and repetitive at times.

shells
11-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Yesterday I read How Starbucks Saved My Life. The man that wrote it has had an interesting life. I really enjoyed it.

Prancer
11-12-2009, 02:52 AM
And now it's time for something completely different- The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. It's a fascinating (and frightening) memoir so far.

I thought that was a great book--but so, so sad. And interesting how everyone in the family ended up.

Yesterday I read How Starbucks Saved My Life. The man that wrote it has had an interesting life. I really enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed that book, too; it made me want to work at Starbucks, although I have to say that I have cleaned a lot of toilets in my time and never gotten nearly as much out of experience as the author did. :lol:

I have been stockpiling books for December, when I will have time to read, and looking at the pile is making me itch to get on with it. No time, no time! But I think I have about 30 books stacked up and my husband is starting to give me slit-eyed looks when he sees one of those green bags come in to the house. :slinkaway He doesn't seem to understand that I have to be prepared. What if it snows or something? :drama:

rfisher
11-12-2009, 10:50 AM
That's it! I'm not obsessed. I'm planning ahead for emergencies. What if there's a disaster and I'm stuck in the house. It's the same as having emergency food and water, or stuff in your car in case you get stuck in the snow.

He he. That 30% off coupon at Borders is a necessity, not an unnecessary expenditure. Off to the bookstore today. :cheer2: