PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Holley Calmes
11-08-2009, 03:57 AM
S&S&SM might be utter crap, but that cover illustration just drives me nuts. I love it! I always had a crush on Colonel Brandon. And a Colonel Brandon with dozens of head tentacles is just...intriguing.

PrincessLeppard
11-08-2009, 04:11 AM
I have the Sea Monster book, but it's near the bottom of my pile. It took me awhile to get through Zombies, and I love Zombies. Jane Austen, not so much. :P

genevieve
11-08-2009, 04:43 AM
There will also be a 'prequel' to P&P&Z coming out soon. Not clear if it's the same author or not.

My favorite bookstore is closing at the end of the month :fragile: and they're having a big sale all month. I went on Tuesday evening and bought a few cookbooks and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I'm Down, a memoir by Mishna Wolff that I've heard really good things about.

rfisher
11-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Damn those Border's coupons. I just realized my TBR pile is now:
A Thouch of Dead: Charlain Harris
The Skull Mantra: Eliot Pattison
Shop Till You Drop: Elaine Viets
Dead Sexy: Tate Hallaway
The Spy Who Came for Christmas: David Morrell
In the Woods: Jana French
See Delphi and Die: Lindsey Davis
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Stieg Larsson
Dracula: Dacre Stoker
Evidence of Murder: Lisa Black
Southern Fried: Cathy Pickens
A Rule Against Murder: Louise Penny
9 Dragons: Michael Connelly

In Progress
Still Life: Louise Penny
The Lost Symbol: Dan Brown
Three Bags Full: Leonie Swann
Gabaldon's latest
(probably about 10 more scattered around the house)

So Many Books, So Little Time

shells
11-09-2009, 12:37 AM
There will also be a 'prequel' to P&P&Z coming out soon. Not clear if it's the same author or not.

I'd guess not as he was signed by a different publisher to write his next book, and that's why they had to have someone else write S&S&SM. I'd imagine he was probably signed for more than one book.

Jenny
11-09-2009, 02:53 PM
On the weekend I read Peter Mayle's new novel, The Vintage Caper, and loved every word of it. Sure it's not the most sophisticated plot, but he draws characters so well and obviously takes such pleasure in life (lunch is always a major plot point in his books). Makes me want to re-read his other novels (Chasing Cezanne, Anything Considered, Hotel Pastis and A Good Year). Makes me want to book a flight to France. Now.

Indra486
11-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I have the Sea Monster book, but it's near the bottom of my pile. It took me awhile to get through Zombies, and I love Zombies. Jane Austen, not so much. :P

I am reading both at the same time right now. I find the Zombies is better than the Sea Monsters probably P&P itself is better than S&S. I am disappointed that Quirk decided to publish another P&P Zombies. I seriously thought vampires will be next since they are so in demand right now.:D

Indra486
11-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Damn those Border's coupons. I just realized my TBR pile is now:
A Thouch of Dead: Charlain Harris
The Skull Mantra: Eliot Pattison
Shop Till You Drop: Elaine Viets
Dead Sexy: Tate Hallaway
The Spy Who Came for Christmas: David Morrell
In the Woods: Jana French
See Delphi and Die: Lindsey Davis
Dracula: Dacre Stoker
Evidence of Murder: Lisa Black
Southern Fried: Cathy Pickens
A Rule Against Murder: Louise Penny
9 Dragons: Michael Connelly

In Progress
Still Life: Louise Penny
The Lost Symbol: Dan Brown
Three Bags Full: Leonie Swann
Gabaldon's latest
(probably about 10 more scattered around the house)

So Many Books, So Little Time

You are so right about those coupons. Did you see the deal today? So much to buy and read. Now I am waiting for those black friday coupons.

skatingfan5
11-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Damn those Border's coupons.
So Many Books, So Little TimeYesterday marked an historic event in my bibliomanic life ... I was at Borders and did not buy a book ... or magazine ... or even the NYT! :eek: I even had a coupon and some Borders bucks to spend. :wideeyes: :lol: Probably because I wasn't feeling well -- just had something to drink and browsed through a book and "magazine" (anything that costs $14.95 really shouldn't be calling itself a magazine :mad:).

Last week I read The House at Sugar Beach (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/books/review/Elkins-t.html) -- I couldn't put it down and read it in three sittings. The book I was browsing/reading yesterday was Nami Mun's Miles from Nowhere (http://milesfromnowherethenovel.wordpress.com/) -- if I hadn't bought several books the previous week, I would have gotten this one and think I will eventually do so, unless I get it from the library instead -- not sure why that alternative doesn't occur to me more often -- probably my history of racking up horrendous late-fees. :slinkaway

Nan
11-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I just realized my TBR pile is now:

Bump this one up to the top of the list. You will be glad you did. :)

slicekw
11-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Bump this one up to the top of the list. You will be glad you did. :)

I found I liked the idea of this book better than the book itself. I was disappointed. I think a certain sparseness of style and bleakness of description that didn't suit me. Was it originally in English?

zhenya271
11-10-2009, 02:47 AM
On the weekend I read Peter Mayle's new novel, The Vintage Caper, and loved every word of it. Sure it's not the most sophisticated plot, but he draws characters so well and obviously takes such pleasure in life (lunch is always a major plot point in his books). Makes me want to re-read his other novels (Chasing Cezanne, Anything Considered, Hotel Pastis and A Good Year). Makes me want to book a flight to France. Now.

I want to check out some of these novels. I just finished the series, " A Year in Provence" with John Thaw and Lindsay Duncan a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I was sorry that the show only captured a year of their lives.

IceAlisa
11-10-2009, 03:10 AM
I loved A Year in Provence! Yummy and so much better than the infuriating, rude Amerikan incarnate, Frances Mayes of the Under the Tuscan Sun fame.

Finished Beat the Reaper. The author owes A LOT to The House of God, The Godfather and Everything Is Illuminated. But the result is so much less than the sum of its parts. Every book it borrows from is a real classic in its own way but this one falls very short.

The tone is energetic, the humor is pure House of God (my favorite book about medicine of all time) the plot is incredibly unlikely to say the least. Character development is limited and is attempted for the male characters only. Peter/Pietro's girlfriend Magdalena is nothing but a piece of female external genitalia. Seriously.

The violence is repulsive. The plot resolution is unbelievable. But overall, it was entertaining. I guess.

rfisher
11-10-2009, 03:13 AM
I loved A Year in Provence! Yummy and so much better than the infuriating, rude Amerikan incarnate, Frances Mayes of the Under the Tuscan Sun fame.

Finished Beat the Reaper. The author owes A LOT to The House of God, The Godfather and Everything Is Illuminated. But the result is so much less than the sum of its parts. Every book it borrows from is a real classic in its own way but this one falls very short.

The tone is energetic, the humor is pure House of God (my favorite book about medicine of all time) the plot is incredibly unlikely to say the least. Character development is limited and is attempted for the male characters only. Peter/Pietro's girlfriend Magdalena is nothing but a piece of female external genitalia. Seriously.

The violence is repulsive. The plot resolution is unbelievable. But overall, it was entertaining. I guess.

But, weren't you entertained by self-extraction of one's fibula to use as a weapon?

IceAlisa
11-10-2009, 03:17 AM
But, weren't you entertained by self-extraction of one's fibula to use as a weapon?

:lol: When I read that, I felt like writing to Dr. Bazell and advising him to stick to his day job. But what do you expect from a psychiatrist.

And also the whole osteosarcoma thing was so BS. Even at the very bad :EVILLE: hospital he describes, they'd hesitate to amputate a limb without histology confirming the malignancy first.

And if you've read the House of God (luuuuuuuuuuurve forever!) does Prof. Marmoset remind you of anyone, say the Fat Man?