PDA

View Full Version : So Many Books, So Little Time (The Reading Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

PrincessLeppard
10-28-2009, 11:28 AM
This weekend, I read all four Dexter books. Loved the first two, the third was crap, and the fourth was better, but had all kinds of plot holes in it. It was what Roger Ebert called "an idiot plot." If only Dexter hadn't acted like an idiot, there would be no plot.

cygnus
10-28-2009, 02:05 PM
I've been reading Barbara Ehrenreich's new book "Bright-Sided" about how (she claims) the positive thinking movement nearly destroyed America. It's fascinating reading- and a good antidote to all those blame-the-victim-books, like "the Secret". I don't always agree with her, but she makes some good points, and having lost a good friend to cancer this year, and can relate to her chapter on the fluffification (my word ;) ) of breast cancer.

The bits on Wall Street are good too-on how those executives who warned that the housing bubble couldn't continue and sub-prime would lead to problems in the long run were often fired so that their negative thoughts wouldn't poison the work atmosphere.

Interesting stuff.

Sassafras
10-28-2009, 04:48 PM
In the car - just listened to one of Barbara Ehrenreich's older books - Nickel and Dimed. Now listening to Tut by James Patterson.

Currently reading Danielle Steele - Southern Lights

I also am listening to a Playaway (http://www.playaway.com/) audio of Jayne Krentz's Obsidian Prey. Playaways are great. They're smaller than a pack of cigarettes so the player fits in your pocket. You listen with a headset. Perfect for today when I'm out shoveling snow......:cold:

genevieve
10-28-2009, 05:04 PM
...Maybe now I can get The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo back, since he took that when I was somewhere in the second chapter and I haven't seen it since.
I only heard of this series when the TGWTDT came out - I am looking forward to reading them.

FINALLY started reading the Myth series that I think I posted about months ago. Read Weight by Jeanette Winterson (Atlas and Heracles) and am about to start The Penelopiad written by Margaret Atwood. It is the Odysseus myth, but focuses on Penelope's 12 maids who were hanged. I've got one more myth book, but I think I'm going to just go with the Atwood one for now, because I just bought Jonathan Lethem's Chronic City and can't wait to get started on it.

ETA: website for The Myth Series (http://www.themyths.co.uk/) if anyone is interested.

rfisher
10-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Robert Crais has a new Joe Pike book coming out in January. :cheer2: Although, I sort of like Elvis Cole better with Joe as the silent but deadly partner, but I'll take anything he writes.

star_gazer11
10-29-2009, 02:00 AM
I also am listening to a Playaway (http://www.playaway.com/) audio of Jayne Krentz's Obsidian Prey.

I liked Obsidian Prey - loved the dust bunny. :watch: It was my first Jayne Castle/Jayne Anne Krentz read and I got a bit hooked on the rest of the series after that.

Georgette Heyer's Cotillion was fun, but I didn't care for Bath Tangle.

shells
10-29-2009, 02:30 AM
I read Splendor today, I did not like how it ended. Sorry but I'm a sucker for a happy ending, and this really didn't have one.

Onto the Starbucks book...

pollyanna
10-29-2009, 12:36 PM
I need to be cloned. I'm so busy in RL I can't keep up with you guys. :lol:

Buzz
10-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Haven't read a book in a while now. Nothing seems to be able to "catch my eye" as it were. Any recommendations for someone ( who shall remain anonymous :shuffle: ) who loves spy novels, books on WW2, or sci-fis so long as it is about the secret of Atlantis ? (and VERY light on the romance) :lol: Luvs me a good detective novel too. :D

Stefanie
10-29-2009, 03:17 PM
I just started Francine Prose's Anne Frank: The Book, The Life, and The Afterlife after having seen the author give an interview on BookTV. I almost wish I hadn't started it because it's all I can think about and I have so many other things to read for grad school, but I need a diversion and put the book on hold at the library. So far, this book provides more insight into Anne Frank, the writer. I can't wait to go home from work and pick it up again.

Stefanie
10-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Haven't read a book in a while now. Nothing seems to be able to "catch my eye" as it were. Any recommendations for someone ( who shall remain anonymous :shuffle: ) who loves spy novels, books on WW2, or sci-fis so long as it is about the secret of Atlantis ? (and VERY light on the romance) :lol: Luvs me a good detective novel too. :D

John La Carre?

Jenny
10-29-2009, 03:39 PM

Have you read any Martin Cruz Smith? He does decent bestsellers that take place in Russia that usually have a spy/cold war component, featuring a detective as the central character. (And a really good book about coal mining om the 1800s called Rose.)

We've talked about James Rollins before - not the greatest at creating characters, but good page turners. One of his earliest books, Deep Fathom, is about Mu, which I'm sure you know is another version of the Atlantis story.

I just ordered a book by an Icelandic author recommended by the NY Times that's a mystery with the KGB and WW2 stuff - The Draining Lake. The author has several other books as well.

emason
10-29-2009, 04:06 PM

Alan Furst - WWII spy novels

Buzz
10-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone, you guys are gonna keep me busy for quite a while. And I am off to the library! :D

IceAlisa
10-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Finished Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger of the Time Traveler's Wife's fame.
On one hand, it's perfectly creepy and timely for Halloween. I have to say I was entertained.

On the other, there are some very real character development problems. For instance, why is Julia portrayed as such as one-dimensional, good-for-nothing co-dependent controlling biatch? Surely, she could have been a lot more interesting.

Also, while I inevitably spoiled myself by reading the ending first, I still find it extremely far-fetched that Valentina would choose to do what she did. She certainly seemed unhappy under Julia's thumb but her solution was absolutely ridiculous and incongruent. Even more ridiculous was the fact that Robert went along with it.

However, I did enjoy the twins dynamics and unlike most amazon reviewers thought that their clothes had a relevant role in the narrative (hey, when is clothes NOT important?). I felt also that Martin was bizzarely the most developed character of them all and he was supporting cast.

In the end I had fun and went through the book pretty quickly but I am left with the impression of a well-styled piece of chick lit.