PDA

View Full Version : True Blood

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
07-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Eric isn't the only focus in the books. Sookie actually has a relationship with a weretiger named Quinn. She's given up on supernaturals several times. :lol: I think CH started with the Bill Sookie relationship and as the books progressed segued into Eric. This happens to authors. Sometimes the characters and storylines just go in a different way. Bill was a jerk in the books and he did start seeing Sookie at the Queen's behest. TB Bill is being written quite differently. This is what is turning off a lot of fans who've read the books. The next book is supposed to be the last and it's still up in the air what Sookie will do. One issue that CH flirted around with in the last book was Sookie having a child which she cannot do with a vamp so I wouldn't be surprised if she turned to Sam (who is also very different in the books) or even her cousin Hadley's ex who is conveniently unattached in the end.

And, let's face it, Alex is way hotter than Stephen Moyer could ever be. :D

screech
07-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Wow, he sounds like almost an afterthought in the books. He sounds like a jerk, frankly. Makes me wonder why the author ever set up Sookie and Bill in the first place. Why not just establish and stick to the Eric/Sookie dynamic? Was she trying to set up some love triangle a la Twilight? If so, it's kinda important that both potential suitors be likable. Maybe that's what the show is trying to do now: make Bill more sympathetic as they build toward a love triangle between him, Eric and Sookie.

In the books Bill has his jerk-ish moments, and in some of the books he barely appears. But in the start I think Sookie needed someone to kind of 'relate' to who was compassionate. Also, if not for Bill being with her, she never would have met Eric (who did not know about the Queen's orders BTW). Sookie hates Bill for a while after all his BS but by book 9 has love for him again (though not of the romantic kind) and considers him a friend. In the books he's not a bad guy, he just did some really crappy things. The relationship flaunting was to make Sookie jealous (while with his new gf he constantly told Sookie how much he wanted her back, etc). That said, Eric does still have his jerk-ish moments in the books. But I don't really think she wants it to be considered a triangle (at least not at this point). Charlaine has been quoted (by Alan Ball) as saying that in the 9th book she considered killing Bill off but her publisher wouldn't let her. That definitely says a lot. Sookie has had other suitors in the books (including a relationship with one that the show hasn't introduced yet) but she still always has the attraction to Eric and him to her.

The author does keep us guessing though, because Eric and Sookie in the books definitely have issues, including her refusal to let him turn her, which is something he wants (and apparently will address in the next book). She's also keeping a pretty big secret about a family member from him. In the newest book, Eric's maker said to Sookie 'you will not keep Eric' at one point. Mind you she was trying to kill the maker against Eric's wishes, but still so you don't really know what will happen. They do really mesh and have the insane chemistry, but have so many differences that I have a feeling she just may end up with someone like Alcide. I don't think she'd end up with Sam because she sees him as more of a brother, and in the books, even the most recent one, Alcide mentions his having had hope for them. I don't know if she still has any feelings for him though, because he used and abused her telepathy quite a bit. Though she could always choose an 'I pick me' kind of ending.

In the show, as snarky as it sounds, I don't see Sookie and Bill as having chemistry. Anna and Stephen definitely do off screen, but onscreen they just fizzle and don't sizzle. Meanwhile Alex could stand next to a brick and make you think he was having 'passionate primal sex' with it on a regular basis. Not only is Eric IMO much more attractive than Bill (I find Stephen hunky, just not Bill which is kind of weird) but so much more interesting.

In the books the moment you meet Eric you know that there is a mutual attraction between him and Sookie. And it starts off as him just wanting to have sex with her and by the time they do finally have sex (which he doesn't remember) it's turned into much more. When he remembers he can't believe that he was the happiest he had been for centuries when he was with her. And when they do finally have sex with him remembering it, he still wants more and tries to get her to say she loves him (which she doesn't say), asks her to move in with him (she turns him down in a pretty unkind way) and wants to tell her how he feels but she won't let him.

Season 1 Eric was pretty much like the book - he was colder and looking out for himself, at least until Sookie is in the hospital after Rene when he sends her flowers and watches her from outside her hospital window, and it really does blossom. I really hate how the show refuses to show this side. The minute TB Eric starts to show some compassion they turn him into an even more heartless bastard. The second Sookie starts to see him as more than just a mean vampire, they f*** it up. She sees a different side of him with Godric? Well he forced her to drink his blood so she can't trust him and he must have taken Bill, right? He shares some of his quest to avenge his family with her and sends someone to look after her in Mississippi? Oh, he cares nothing for her and doesn't care if she is held captive by Russell. MAKE UP YOUR FREAKING MINDS!

I will say right now that because book 4 is my favourite, I will give them until the end of season 4. If they do not start doing Eric his justice, I will stop watching. And they damn well better include that shower scene! And red speedos.

The next book is supposed to be the last and it's still up in the air what Sookie will do.
CH is actually contracted through book 13 and hasn't yet decided whether to end there or keep going. She has said she knows how it will end but doesn't know whether to end it in 3 more books or stretch it out. She also said at Comic Con that she has known for 8 or 9 years how it will end.

rfisher
07-28-2010, 02:00 AM
CH is actually contracted through book 13 and hasn't yet decided whether to end there or keep going. She has said she knows how it will end but doesn't know whether to end it in 3 more books or stretch it out. She also said at Comic Con that she has known for 8 or 9 years how it will end.

3 books are going to be difficult. She's running out of plot points.

screech
07-28-2010, 04:13 AM
3 books are going to be difficult. She's running out of plot points.

She still has the wedding with Sam, Eric still has to find out about Hunter (and we know he won't be happy about her keeping that from him - more hurt and disappointed than angry), there's dealing with Sookie's relatives, dealing with her not wanting to become a vampire, dealing with Victor and Felipe... my thoughts on a possible ending: When they take out Victor Eric ends up running Louisiana for Felipe, or if Felipe is no longer King, Eric becomes King, though he never really wanted to be anything more than Sheriff, Sookie doesn't want to be involved in the politics, they break up over that and Sookie's refusal to be turned, though she stays under his protection and continues to offer her telepathy services. I also think that Sookie may end up playing a quite larger role in Hunter's life. Just my thoughts.

mindy74
07-28-2010, 04:39 AM
I started reading the books when they first came out. I stopped reading around Book 4, and the reason was I hated how Bill/Sookie was being crapped on in order to further Sookie/Eric. I didn't much like Eric in the books at all, so I stopped reading them. I'm kind of the opposite of some people in that I prefer how the show is playing the relationships vs the books. I like the changes Alan Ball has made.

Now I find Eric a much more intriguing, interesting character in the show than I did in the books. I find his interactions with the other characters fascinating...is there ANYBODY he doesn't have chemistry with? But I'm still a Bill/Sookie shipper at heart. I for one love Stephen Moyer and think he's great in the role.

BigB08822
07-28-2010, 04:42 AM
I'm finally completely caught up on all the episodes. I am still loving the show. My boyfriend watched the first 4 episodes of season 1 and kind of didn't care if he continued to watch. Then he came home while I was in the middle of season 2 episode 11 and he couldn't quit watching. He begged me to watch the next episode and we even began season 3 that night. Now I have finished and he has to catch up but my point is that this show gets better and better. I hope that trend continues.

I would also like to thank everyone for talking so much about the books. Now I am really REALLY thinking about beginning the series.

I hope we get a lot more of Jessica, she is really growing on me and I did not like her at first, but I guess I wasn't really supposed to since she was an annoying twat. Well acted and well written, I suppose! I am not in love with the werewolves even though it was inevitable they would eventually make their debut. I am just not interested in them so I hope most of them go away quickly.

I am looking on Amazon and I see a lot of boxed sets for the books and they are about $35 dollars or so and it is 8 books. Is this the entire collection? Also, is this the right books because they are all plastered with the True Blood logo and stuff. I know sometimes they re-release these books to go along with the television shows and I want to make sure I am getting the correct editions, not something revised that will read just as the television show plays out.

screech
07-28-2010, 07:37 AM
I am looking on Amazon and I see a lot of boxed sets for the books and they are about $35 dollars or so and it is 8 books. Is this the entire collection? Also, is this the right books because they are all plastered with the True Blood logo and stuff. I know sometimes they re-release these books to go along with the television shows and I want to make sure I am getting the correct editions, not something revised that will read just as the television show plays out.

They are the right books, the first is called 'Dead Until Dark'. To this point there are 10 novels, though short stories have also been published.

BigB08822
07-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks, screech. I bought the boxed set from Barnes and Noble and it was only $35 for the first 8 books. I will just have to purchase book 9 and 10 separately when I get there. :)

flutzilla1
07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Eric isn't the only focus in the books. Sookie actually has a relationship with a weretiger named Quinn.

I couldn't STAND Quinn and his "babe" this and "babe" that. So, SO glad that ended!

rfisher
07-28-2010, 05:02 PM
I couldn't STAND Quinn and his "babe" this and "babe" that. So, SO glad that ended!

:lol: I always thought CH was channelling her inner Ranger during that book.

screech
07-28-2010, 06:53 PM

I didn't mind Quinn too much in the beginning, though they didn't have much of a relationship - 1 date and 1 night together over the course of a few months... he could have been good, but ended up being a bit of a douche... and of course, Eric was always in Sookie's mind too during their relationship (I giggled when reading Eric's blatant showing off of his reaction to the blood exchange when Quinn walked in).

topaz
07-28-2010, 09:46 PM
I enjoyed the show on Sunday, very much. That said, I've let the books go a long, long time ago. I've released the thought on how Alan Ball is gonna connect Sookie and Eric or if he'll ever connect them. I maybe in the minority, but there are some Eric fans in the web universe who agree with me, ALAN BALL NEEDS TO FIND AND DEVELOP A NEW FEMALE LOVE INTEREST FOR ERIC. It could be a man too, but I think Eric likes girls more than boys.

TB Eric is way to good for Sookie. He is more worldly and sophisicated. He needs someone more experienced in life in general. TB Sookie is so naive and needs alot of self development. This year's theme/storyline is constantly showing Sookie how dysfunctional her relationship with Bill is. She doesn't really know Bill at all, heck Bill doesn't understand himself and hasn't come to terms with his bad/good sides.

I am still watching the shows for the development of the other characters and new characters.

Sam - I wish AB would have allowed some kind of way to allow Daphne to redeem herself or come back. I believe she and Sam were perfect for each other, I really liked them together. Sam is one of my favorite characters from the books and I love Trammell's acting and how he protrays Sam. Plus he's the best kisser on the show :)

Lafayette - No need to explain why he's a STAR.

Jessica - I liked the idea of a baby vamp since she was turned. I just wish they show Jessica "flexing" her vamp skills a little more than just "glamoring". I like that now that Bill is away Jessica is not using True Blood. Interesting to see how Bill is gonna deal with this after he survives his current situation. I am not a Jessica/Hoyt fan. I see Jessica a 17 year old vamp who has alot of learning about herself and being vamp to settle down with a "giant 6th grader".

Eric- I think Alex is doing a great job with the character and I like how AB is showing the contrasts between vamps, especially Eric and Bill. Bill is impulsive and sentimental. Eric is more methodical and patient, he's older and has learned to hide/suppress his emotions for the "greater good" of what he wants to complish.

Sunday's episode, I saw that Sookie is #3 on Eric's list. He's trying to save Pam and the new storyline with avenging his family. I would hope Pam is more important to Eric at this point. He should and is trying to save Pam from the Magister. I thought some of the stuff coming from Sookie seemed "weird". It was like Sookie has read into more of Eric's actions than we've seen, her believing he cared about her. I was thinking did things take place off screen between them that we didn't see or is she feeling things through the blood exchange?

D&Sfan4ever
07-28-2010, 09:54 PM
The minute TB Eric starts to show some compassion they turn him into an even more heartless bastard. The second Sookie starts to see him as more than just a mean vampire, they f*** it up. She sees a different side of him with Godric? Well he forced her to drink his blood so she can't trust him and he must have taken Bill, right? He shares some of his quest to avenge his family with her and sends someone to look after her in Mississippi? Oh, he cares nothing for her and doesn't care if she is held captive by Russell. MAKE UP YOUR FREAKING MINDS!

I will say right now that because book 4 is my favourite, I will give them until the end of season 4. If they do not start doing Eric his justice, I will stop watching. And they damn well better include that shower scene! And red speedos.

Well, according to this http://truebloodnet.com/category/spoilers/season-3-spoilers/ there is still a ray of hope for us who would like TB Eric to be more like book Eric.
And like you, if by the end of season 4 nothing has changed, I will stop watching.

screech
07-28-2010, 11:31 PM
So glad to see that. I hate all the talk about Bill being the love of Sookie's life though. IMO she's the love of her life... so far.

IMO the only really good changes the show has made from the books are keeping Lafayette alive and creating Jessica (something Charlaine says she wishes she had done).

I really hope the show shows that Eric, like Shrek, is like an onion and has layers. Yes, he may have been hard on Sookie last episode (though his 'please don't take this the wrong way, but shut up' line still has me giggling) but really - the whiny but cute human of an insubordinate vampire in his area is nowhere near as important as his child or family. I do think he was so harsh in that he was also trying to convince himself that she means nothing, after his daydream, but I think it was more that 'at that time' she meant nothing. And he was telling the truth - he never did say that he cared about her or that she was important to him - all he said was that she was too valuable to die - not in what way she was valuable. I really hopw AB shows the layers and not just the top 'bastard' layer.

Speaking of ASkars, he's gone back to his modeling roots. In addition to his US acting career starting as a model in Zoolander, he did some modeling to pay the bills while trying to make it in Sweden (you can find his ads for Guess where he's wearing pink pants online). He is the new face of Hickey Freeman suits, and a series of ads featuring him, shot by Annie Liebovitz (YAY!) (http://skarsgardnews.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/PJ-AW003A_SUIT2_G_20100714170436.jpg)will begin appearing in various magazines like GQ, Vanity Fair and Details in September, though the new line won't be in stores until spring. Alex looks freaking hot (and is wearing his favourite boots).

In other triangle news, TV Guide is giving fans a choice. There are 2 covers of their newest issue. (http://www.trueblood-news.com/tv-guide-gives-true-blood-fans-a-choice) One featuring Anna and Stephen and one with Anna and Alex. The covers (and inside photo) are pretty gorgeous. The issue is on stands tomorrow (July 29). In both covers, they're different poses and dresses, but she has her hand on the man's chest and the man has a hand on her butt. Rowr!

Patrick Gallagher (Chow) has been on Glee this past year, but his character will not be in the next season - there will be a new (female) football coach. I've been wondering where Chow has been (hopefully running Fangtasia while Eric is on his mission and Pam is being held by the Magister) and Chow is pretty important in book 4, so hopefully he'll be back on TB, even though he looks nothing like the book describes. Though him being on Glee really makes me wish TB could do a fun musical episode.

And one final tidbit, there is a facebook page trying to get Stephen Moyer to host SNL (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Get-Stephen-Moyer-on-SNL/137724032925400). I agree that the guy is funny, but IMO he doesn't have enough fame to do it. Really, if you were to ask a random person to name a star of TB they'd either say Anna or Alex (who is also really funny), though I don't doubt Steve would do a good job.

ETA: Alex's modeling for Guess:
Pink pants 1 (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/magicdancer/Alexander/ASPkPantsT-shirt-2.jpg), Pink pants 2 (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/magicdancer/Alexander/ASPkPantsT-shirt.jpg). He has definitely grown better looking with age... And just for fun (not a modeling shot I don't think), Alex at 22 (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/magicdancer/Alexander/AlexAtAge22.jpg), which is, I believe, the first year he was voted Sexiest Man in Sweden. Still hot, but definitely hotter now.

rfisher
08-02-2010, 02:26 AM
Auugghhhhh...whhhhhyyyyyyy did they have to change the best parts of book 3? :wuzrobbed