PDA

View Full Version : True Blood

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Satellitegirl
07-26-2010, 03:03 AM
Great episode! Could have done without the Jason stupidity, but the rest was great.

And wow, the previews for the rest of the season look great as well Bill able to be in the sunlight after drinking Sookie's blood?

First episode of the season I didn't want to end.

Also poor Franklin....wonder if that killed him or if we'll see a very pissed Franklin later on. Not sure who Tara was saying "if you're gonna kill me, kill me" in the previews, to. I liked his character...hope he isn't gone.

:swoon: @ naked Alcide.

rfisher
07-26-2010, 03:16 AM
I wasn't certain if that dialogue between Tara and Franklin was meant to be funny or just really bad, but I was :rofl: through the whole thing. I'm going to be really disappointed if Alan Ball's preference for Bill steers the storyline instead of Sookie and Eric. I don't mind them screwing around with minor characters or even the new characters, but to totally change events around Sookie and Eric is just stupid. Where's Sookies righteous indignation that Bill was just dating her on the Queen's orders?

Although the line, "I've been around a lot of Queens and you're no Queen" was hysterical.

screech
07-26-2010, 04:03 AM
I am contemplating writing a letter to HBO (just to do something, not that it will have any effect...) because as a fan of the books I absolutely hate the way they are completely disregarding such important Eric moments that really endear him. I get that Alan Ball says he hopes Bill and Sookie end up together and he thinks they are soul mates, but he is really going to start alienating the book fans if he keeps doing this.
1) The Longshadow staking (which I didn't mind quite so much because it gave us Jessica, but therefor in season 5 will not give us Charles Twinnings who I quite enjoyed)
2) The orgy - Eric accompanying Sookie to the orgy in the books was a huge turning point where she finally started to trust him a bit and he showed he'd do pretty much anything for her safety (hello pink lycra)
3) Tonight's episode - the escape to save Bill. One of the moments I was most looking forward to this season was Eric giving Sookie blood to help her save Bill and the almost sex that resulted. Sookie still didn't trust Eric completely, but it went a long way and he said such a great line to her "I don't like having feelings" which really told a lot about him. I was pretty much screaming at the TV and irritating the hell out of my sister when watching because of my disappointment

I get that the show doesn't fully follow the books, but the show is making Eric into much more of a heartless bastard. I get that in the show he has a lot going on with his vengeance and with Pam, but the scene that they completely changed tonight just really disappointed me a lot because it was such a huge moment. And also the 2nd blood exchange. With the preview for next week and Eric drinking from Hadley saying 'I wasn't expecting that...' it will seem to show that Eric's interest in Sookie will continue but not for her, but for what she is.

I also have a feeling they are going to keep the almost draining (from the previews) but will omit the raping bit of the story, which is another huge thing, because they don't want Bill to be a 'viallain'. In the books he was never a villain, he just did something shitty because of a shitty situation, but still. I really hope they don't gloss over Bill's reasons for going to Bon Temps - I get that they really do have feelings, but there were ulterior reasons.

And really, Alan Ball - Sookie and Bill have known each other for about 2 months. They're both a little stalkerish-obsessed... not quite 'true love' IMO. Bill is also among the most annoying and wimpy characters on the show - yes, he's mostly a gentleman and thats' endearing, but he's so damn boring. If it were 'real life' Sookie would be bored with him after maybe a few years. His boring, wimpy annoyingness really makes him more unlikeable to me. It's one of the reasons I prefer Eric - he's got so many layers. Tonight he said that Sookie means nothing to him, but really - he barely knows her - he thinks her gift is valuable and he wants to have sex with her, but as a person, who is she to him? I do think though that because of what she did with being there for Godric, he does have tenderness towards her, but with the situation he's in with Pam - really, is going against a vamp 3x his age for whom he's had a 1000 year vendetta and who can save his child in order to help a petulant telepath save her insubordinate whiny boyfriend?

Sorry, I'm really pissed off at the show tonight. I have to say, Queen Sophie Anne was my favourite part of the episode. I find her pretty entertaining. I'd love to see her and Franklin (who Tara did not decapitate or stake, so he'll totally live) in a scene together.

Satellitegirl
07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
I wasn't too annoyed with the whole Eric/Sookie thing, because I still think Eric was partially playing up to the King to get what he wants, and yeah he may have been annoyed with her for talking so much, but I don't think he was lying before. He still cares for Sookie.

flutzilla1
07-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Where's Sookies righteous indignation that Bill was just dating her on the Queen's orders?

I was yelling this same question at the TV (much to my husband's annoyance). :) I really am hoping for a turnaround at this point regarding the whole Bill/Sookie/Eric issue, but after last night's episode, I don't have a whole lot of hope at this point....:(

rfisher
07-26-2010, 05:51 PM
I was yelling this same question at the TV (much to my husband's annoyance). :) I really am hoping for a turnaround at this point regarding the whole Bill/Sookie/Eric issue, but after last night's episode, I don't have a whole lot of hope at this point....:(

I think HBO and Alan Ball are in debt to Stephen Moyer. He and AP should break up so they can send him where he belongs in the story.

Satellitegirl
07-26-2010, 06:36 PM
I think HBO and Alan Ball are in debt to Stephen Moyer. He and AP should break up so they can send him where he belongs in the story.

Yeah that's one thing that has made me wonder if it's had an effect on the writing....Stephen and Anna's relationship. If so, that's annoying.

screech
07-26-2010, 07:07 PM
I wasn't too annoyed with the whole Eric/Sookie thing, because I still think Eric was partially playing up to the King to get what he wants, and yeah he may have been annoyed with her for talking so much, but I don't think he was lying before. He still cares for Sookie.

I think that him saying she means nothing to him was partially him trying to convince himself. Remember, he was 'day'dreaming about her while Yvetta was stripping for him, so he's probably pretty irritated at her about that. Though I did have to giggle when she wouldn't shut up so he covered her mouth.

I know there are a lot of Bill fans, and I adore Stephen Moyer when he's in interviews, but really, Bill is such a grating character and Stephen is among the worst actors on the show. Every single review I read talks about how Alex has all these nuances to his performance and even last night, how he was basically playing 2 roles at once - playing for Russell and then playing for the audience so we could see the real bits. The show really needs to see that more people are interested in Alex than are interested in Anna/Stephen's relationship and that we'd rather see the more interesting bits play out on screen than just seeing them make things comfortable for the real-life couple.

A random thought - maybe if Sophie-Anne didn't spend her money on scratch tickets she'd have more money for the IRS.

mashenka82
07-26-2010, 09:22 PM
I agree with those who were dissapointed last night. The episode had all the makings of being amazing with everyone at that mansion, and yet it let me down. I agree that they are painting Eric in such a crappy fashion and I really wish that they had allowed a blood exchange the way it happened in the books rather than continuously making Bill her savior.
I know that there are nuances to Eric's behavior and it's not like he doesn't care about Sookie (he did have the fantasy and everything) but I want to see something real on screen already and not some fantasy that Eric or Sookie are having.

I feel so torn about this show because I love that it doesn't stick to the books and we get a lot more of Eric's history and Tara and Lafayette who all take very different roads in the books, and even if you read the books and liked them, you are still in for a surprise, but there are certain things that, to me, seem essentialy to the plot and characters and this episode could and should have had a couple of those things. And I'm truly dissapointed.

DBZ
07-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Well, as someone who hasn't read the books and has no knowledge of their plots whatsoever, I actually liked last night's episode. It seemed like things were finally picking up.

Within the context of the show alone, I'd say the characters were pretty consistent in their actions and reactions.

Weirdly enough, the best scenes for me were the ones between Lorena and Bill--two of the least interesting characters IMO. It was nice to finally see a small glimpse of dimensionality to Lorena when faced with the dilemma of killing Bill. It was the first time I actually believed in her love for him, and Bill's lamentation over her lost humanity was also the first time I really felt a sense of deep history between them, much like Eric and Godric.

Although I must say I really hope they start tying in Sam's subplot into the main storyline because I do not care about his family. At all. I don't find the parents or Tommy interesting, and fail to see how their presence is forwarding either Sam's development or the overall plot.

All in all, still a good episode.

rfisher
07-27-2010, 12:21 AM
The problem is Bill and Lorena weren't together but a hundred years or less. She turned him right after the Civil War and he left her in the late 1930s so they were only together about 60 years. In vamp time, that's nothing. The book just used her as a vehicle to get him apart from Sookie.

If the show continues to deviate with Sookie and Erics storylines, I'll quit watching. I know a lot of fans who already have.

DBZ
07-27-2010, 03:09 AM
If the show continues to deviate with Sookie and Erics storylines, I'll quit watching.

Really? Are they deviating that badly? Are Sookie and Eric supposed to be the Ross and Rachel of the show? I'm a little :confused:.

As a layman, it seems Eric and Sookie have a lot of hurdles to clear before a relationship between them would seem possible.

screech
07-27-2010, 03:25 AM
Really? Are they deviating that badly? Are Sookie and Eric supposed to be the Ross and Rachel of the show? I'm a little :confused:.

As a layman, it seems Eric and Sookie have a lot of hurdles to clear before a relationship between them would seem possible.

In the books Godric isn't Eric's maker, so he has really nothing to do to bring him to Dallas, but still he goes to make sure Sookie is safe. Sookie dumps Bill at the end of the 3rd, starts a relationship with an amnesiac Eric in book 4 (where they fall 'almost in love' but she knows it won't last because he'll get his memories back - which he does but he then forgets their time together, which he remembers in book 8), Bill then continually rubs a new relationship in her face and some stuff comes out for which she can't really ever get back together with him. Eric saves her life in every single book and at least kisses her in every single book and constantly tells her he wants her in every single book, kind of surrenders his own freedom in some ways to save her in books... basically whenever Sookie calls, he answers and does whatever he can to help her. She doesn't really start to appreciate it until the 9th or 10th book though. Really, in the books, it's hard to see at times why Eric sticks around when he could probably do better than someone who dissects every single flaw no matter what he does. I wouldn't call them the 'Ross and Rachel' becuase we still don't know if they'll 'end up' together, but it is obvious pretty early on, probably about book 2, that they do kind of 'belong' together. He's also, aside from the bullet sucking to which he immediately owned up, completely honest to her. He says things like 'it would be so much easier for me if I could just kill you.' and when she asks why he doesn't he says things like 'because I haven't f***ed you yet.' And she appreciates his honesty (he is of course honest about things other than sex as well.)

They have really almost canonized Bill in the show. In the books he has nothing to do with Sookie catching Rene, he doesn't stake Longshadow (Eric does), he doesn't help out with the orgy stuff (Eric does), he stops really showing interest in Sookie at the start of book 3 (he's more interested in a computer program he's making), he doesn't surrender to Mississippi to save Sookie - he was called by Lorena, lies to Sookie about where he's going, and then willingly submits to her, planning on leaving Sookie, something that Eric has to reluctantly tell her (Eric then has to sleep with a male vampire in order to help Sookie escape from Mississippi after giving her a buttload of blood to save her)... and those are just the differences up to this point of the show.

In the books Eric and Sookie 'get' each other. He knows when to back off and let her do her own thing, she appreciates his sense of humour (yes, book Eric really has a great one), and even when not in their relationships, she does consider him a friend, and he says he'll be one, as long as he can without jeopardizing his own life.

Like I said in a previous post, I get that Alan Ball is more a Team Bill kind of guy, but he is ostracizing the fans of Eric quite a bit. I do enjoy the backstory he's giving us on Eric, but I wish he could relate it more to how Eric is in the books. At no point in the books has Sookie 'hated' Eric. And really, the only reason she 'hates' Eric is because of heresay from Bill, not from anything Eric has done. If she hates Eric so much for something like making her suck his blood, why doesn't she pester Bill all the time for killing her uncle, or making a vampire child and then lying to her about it for a few weeks, or abandoning Tara (which maybe she will, but I doubt it), or the dossier Russell showed her? Eric was spot on in an earlier episode this season when he said 'you're so blinded by your obsession with Bill Compton...' If she had met Eric first, I bet she would hate Bill. It's just because Bill is the first one she couldn't 'hear' and he showed interest in her that she's so into him. Really, he's completely dull, whiny and annoying, and proposed after like 2 months of knowing her. Why the hell would she pick that?

Satellitegirl
07-27-2010, 03:35 AM
Count me as another that won't watch if they don't give Eric and Sookie more screen time and more meaningful time.

DBZ
07-27-2010, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't call them the 'Ross and Rachel' becuase we still don't know if they'll 'end up' together, but it is obvious pretty early on, probably about book 2, that they do kind of 'belong' together.

Well, from what you describe, it sounds like "Ross and Rachel" syndrome down to a T. The whole appeal of that dynamic is that proverbial question of "will they or won't they?" and, just reading your post, the author obviously has done a successful job in cultivating that angst over (10! :eek:) novels. Essentially, they are the crux of the dramatic conflict driving the story.

They have really almost canonized Bill in the show.

Wow, he sounds like almost an afterthought in the books. He sounds like a jerk, frankly. Makes me wonder why the author ever set up Sookie and Bill in the first place. Why not just establish and stick to the Eric/Sookie dynamic? Was she trying to set up some love triangle a la Twilight? If so, it's kinda important that both potential suitors be likable. Maybe that's what the show is trying to do now: make Bill more sympathetic as they build toward a love triangle between him, Eric and Sookie.

It's sorta funny that in either depiction, Bill seems to come off as totally uninteresting to me. Either he's a jerk in the books, or he's this lily-white hero in the show whose sole purpose for existing is to love and protect Sookie. Both are one-note and boring. They can't seem to strike a happy medium, which is why I'm glad they are finally introducing some complexity this season with the King's reveal about Bill keeping tabs on Sookie and her family.

Like I said in a previous post, I get that Alan Ball is more a Team Bill kind of guy, but he is ostracizing the fans of Eric quite a bit.

I just think he's centralizing the show's drama around that triangle, instead of Eric and Sookie only like the author apparently has. This entails making Bill more sympathetic so when Sookie eventually has to choose between Eric and Bill (and you know that's coming) the dramatic tension will greater compared to the books, where it's pretty obvious who is the better choice for her.

Again, just my .2 cents as a layman.

Maybe other layman can back up me on this, I don't know. :shuffle: