PDA

View Full Version : Cycling continued

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61

Garden Kitty
01-16-2013, 05:32 PM
In other news, OPQS had their team presentation this week with a fun inter-squad series of races on the track. In the final race, Boonen just edged Cavendish to take the team championship. Today on twitter Cav threatened to head butt Tom next time. :lol: When asked by the press, Cav had more than a expletives and refused to otherwise comment.

orbitz
01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Give Lance some credit. It took a lot of ball for him to come clean.

Well it only took him one ball to face up to his fear where most men need two balls to do it.

Zemgirl
01-16-2013, 05:55 PM
If this is true, it would define chutzpah.

Armstrong is coming forward to discuss his past doping because he wants to persuade officials to lift his lifetime ban from Olympic sports so he can return to competing in triathlons and running events, according to people with knowledge of his plans.

Source (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/sports/cycling/lance-armstrong-will-confess-drug-use-to-oprah-winfrey-sources-say.html?hp)
I've been thinking about that, because I keep seeing negative reactions to this possibility. And I have to say, I don't get it. Of all the things that Armstrong did (in fact or allegedly), this is what bothers people? You'd think every other rider who admitted to doping did so to advance justice, fairness and the purity of sports. :rolleyes:

Also, I find it difficult to credit that someone would make himself vulnerable to civil and possibly criminal proceedings in order to be able to do triathlons. How does that make sense? Surely Armstrong doesn't want to compete in triathlons badly enough to risk the legal ramifications his admissions will likely have?

I'm really curious to see how he'll spin it to Oprah, though, and what kind of questions she'll have for him.

And now, I want to hear about other riders. Garden Kitty, tell us more! Pics will be most welcome too :)

orbitz
01-16-2013, 06:04 PM
I've been thinking about that, because I keep seeing negative reactions to this possibility. And I have to say, I don't get it. Of all the things that Armstrong did (in fact or allegedly), this is what bothers people? You'd think every other rider who admitted to doping did so to advance justice, fairness and the purity of sports. :rolleyes:

Perhaps if Lance wasn't so aggressive in the past in going after the people and the news that accused him of doping then maybe people would have more empathy for him.

Zemgirl
01-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Perhaps if Lance wasn't so aggressive in the past in going after the people and the news that accused him of doping then maybe people would have more empathy for him.
It's not a matter of empathy - how did you get that from my post? :confused: My point is the opposite: that considering what Armstrong stands accused of and what he's likely to admit, the possibility that he's confessing to doping in the hope of being reinstated to compete in triathlons seems to me to be pretty low on the list of things to be outraged about. I think a lot of doping admissions are motivated by personal agendas, so he's hardly unique in that.

Anyway, I think there should be an Armstrong/doping thread that is separate from the general cycling thread.

heckles
01-17-2013, 02:09 AM
Also, I find it difficult to credit that someone would make himself vulnerable to civil and possibly criminal proceedings in order to be able to do triathlons.

I can believe it. He was a talented triathlete as a teenager before he decided to specialize in cycling. The guy is highly ambitious and possibly thinks that he has some unfinished business in triathlons. Maybe he thinks there could be some lucrative sponsorships there, considering that he's largely burned his bridges in the cycling world? The Ironman Masters gets decent attention, so Armstrong's age isn't much of a liability.

Of course, he is probably delusional, because I can't envision any segment of the athletic world wanting much to do with him, but stranger things have happened. Even Pete Rose has his own reality show now, complete with his Playmate wife who's 40 years younger than him.

Vash01
01-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Anyway, I think there should be an Armstrong/doping thread that is separate from the general cycling thread.

I think so too. I was looking for one and finally found the discussion in this thread.

All I can say is - shame on Armstrong for lying for 10 years, suing those who were telling the truth, and for trying to get more attention now.

AragornElessar
01-18-2013, 04:38 AM
Anyone watching CNN? Outfront w/Erin Burnett is live and she's talking to the lawyer of the Insurance Company who had to pay Lance millions for winning three of those TdF and he said his Client/Pres or CEO of the Insurance Company watched the interview w/him and that Armstrong's got a couple of weeks to send them a check. If that doesn't come, then they're suing him for it.

And so it begins....

duane
01-18-2013, 04:54 AM
I'm just now watching a rerun of Oprah's interview. I thought she would be the wimpy, let-me-cry-with-you Oprah, but she's asking some tough questions.

There's nothing about Lance that makes him sympathetic. He comes across as a cold, shallow a-hole who simply got caught and had to finally admit his guilt.

heckles
01-18-2013, 05:23 AM
I'm just now watching a rerun of Oprah's interview. I thought she would be the wimpy, let-me-cry-with-you Oprah, but she's asking some tough questions.

I agree. She opened the interview asking him several questions point-blank. She's not throwing him softballs like Barbara Walters would.

Vagabond
01-18-2013, 07:36 AM
:watch:

I'm sorry . . . I got caught. I'm sorry . . . I won't do it again.

I don't know what I was thinking.

I haven't read his book. I don't have a clear recollection of anything that happened. But if he says that's what happened, who am I to disagree with him?

:blah: :rolleyes: :barrel :scream:

allezfred
01-18-2013, 01:01 PM
While we're going down memory lane with Lance, for those of you who have access to the archives the following thread is rather interesting in hindsight:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?39463-Lance-Armstrong-cleared-of-doping-French-to-end-their-witch-hunt-end-now&highlight=Lance+Armstrong

Of course, I've never been one to say "I told you so". :saint: ;)

Norlite
01-18-2013, 01:18 PM
While we're going down memory lane with Lance, for those of you who have access to the archives the following thread is rather interesting in hindsight:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?39463-Lance-Armstrong-cleared-of-doping-French-to-end-their-witch-hunt-end-now&highlight=Lance+Armstrong

Of course, I've never been one to say "I told you so". :saint: ;)

I remember it well.

Domshabfan
01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
I will worship the ground Poths walks on, Bravo. Here I am reposting POTHS post from 2006 :

Armstrong is a possible cheat and NO American will even consider that notion just because he was ill and did some flashy Charity work- you think "Poor Lance, he's wrongly accused"! Let me tell you about a nice Russian Hurdler called Ludmila Narozilenko:
She was a blazing fast woman from the early 90's....set the world indoor record, made a ton of caseh and was then caught for drugs and banned for two years. When She returned she had a new name, and a new nation...Ludmilla Enquist from Sweden. SHe was just as fast as ever....winning the Olympic Games in 1996 by 100th of a second! The following year she contracted Breast cancer, and in the 1999 world championships she ran after battling the ilness and with a new body. She finished third, the winners congratulated her, she was made a Heroine etc......A year later she retired for the sport, and took up Bobsleighing...only to be banned before Salt lake city because it turned out she'd been on her drugs ALL the feckin time. This sly biatch, acting the Martyr had cheated her way to thousands of dollars, cheated worthy athletes out of top honours (Brigitta Bukovec actually thought she had won in Atlanta and was celebrating, but it went to Engquist)-What's worse is, she played the brave victim, when all the while she was pumping steroids!!

Lancey is possibly another Engquist, and if he is, he's even more of a Martyr!

Yes, he turned out even worse than Engquist.

Zemgirl
01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
All I can say is - shame on Armstrong for lying for 10 years, suing those who were telling the truth, and for trying to get more attention now.
I think Armstrong's actions in covering up his doping and trying to keep his image positive were far worse than the original offense(s). I know many people view doping as the most awful thing possible, but for me, the lies and nasty allegations about other riders and people involved in the sport, ruining people both financially and professionally - that's the worst of it, as far as I'm concerned.

As for the interview, was any of it surprising in any way? I guess Oprah asked tougher questions than I'd expected, but Armstrong is playing it exactly as I thought he would. I wonder what's left for part 2, though.