PDA

View Full Version : Cycling continued

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61

NinjaTurtles
08-24-2012, 03:18 PM
I keep seeing the mention of 2009 and 2010 laboratory samples, does this mean samples re-tested in 2009 and 2010 or samples taken in 2009 and 2010? If it's samples taken in 2009 and 2010, does it make a difference that it was years after his last TdF win?

Rafter
08-24-2012, 03:31 PM
I read something last night about an Armstrong failed test back in 1999, but it was swept under the carpet in exchange for a donation of $250,000 to some charity.

What I don't get is how the USADA can strip him of his titles. Wouldn't the TdF or UCI have to do that?

I know cycling is a joke with rampant doping etc, but it's interesting to me that there's been such a witch hunt against Armstrong and not other dominant athletes such as Michael Phelps.

skategal
08-24-2012, 03:34 PM
The guy they interviewed this morning on Canada AM (sorry, don't recall his name) had an interesting take on the situation. Basically, he said that he feels Armstrong stopped the process because he was afraid of testifying and committing perjury and ending up in jail (same as Marion Jones.) Apparently, Marion Jones never tested positive for doping either...

Theatregirl1122
08-24-2012, 03:38 PM
I read something last night about an Armstrong failed test back in 1999, but it was swept under the carpet in exchange for a donation of $250,000 to some charity.

What I don't get is how the USADA can strip him of his titles. Wouldn't the TdF or UCI have to do that?

I know cycling is a joke with rampant doping etc, but it's interesting to me that there's been such a witch hunt against Armstrong and not other dominant athletes such as Michael Phelps.

The UCI and Lance Armstrong both contended that the USADA can't strop him of his titles. It is part of Armstrong's statement.

Rob
08-24-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm torn about him. I think he's definitely a cheater, but I also suspect everyone in cycling is doping so he was playing on a level playing field, so to speak. I also admire the work he's done for cancer charity. Though some comments I've read from the anti-Armstrong people suggest that he got cancer because of all the doping/extended use of EPO.

I feel the same way. I wonder if the only way to level the playing field is to make it all legal, let them all use, and let them jeopardize their health if they want to.

They should just leave the titles vacant and not give them to other dopers or the entire process will be a huge joke.

Anyway, all of this is making me far less interested in cycling.

Garden Kitty
08-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I think the 2009 and 2010 samples they're referring to relate to blood passport tests which they claim show an unnatural pattern (as interpreted by a given "expert"), but nothing that qualifies directly as a positive test - but that is just based on some hints dropped by the USADA.

I'm just annoyed that there is a great race going on in Colorado right now featuring some promising young US talent as well as established stars, plus the third Grand Tour and the exciting race in Portugal but all that will get coverage is Lance.

Garden Kitty
08-24-2012, 04:58 PM

I think one key difference is that with Lance there were a number of former teammates who were publicly saying they'd been involved in doping with him. Granted a number of them like Floyd Landis and Tyler Hamilton had their own issues and weren't the best witnesses, but there were public statements by people alleging first hand info. There's no similar evidence for Phelps and, in fact, when the USADA had a voluntary drug passport testing program as a trial program, Phelps was one of the athletes who volunteered to participate (http://www.biomedsearch.com/article/biological-passport/239530612.html)for extra testing.

london_calling
08-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Are those who covered up for Lance Armstrong going to face any consequences?

Anita18
08-24-2012, 06:36 PM
BTW, isn't EPO used to actually treat people with some forms of cancer - those with anemia from the chemo? Or is that a different type of EPO?
It is. It's something they give you to replenish your blood cells during chemo. My friend with pancreatic cancer joked that when he's recovered in a few years, he can go win the Tour de France and they can't get him for doping since he used the EPO in a legitimate manner. :lol:

I generally have no opinion on this. The cycling tours are still great athletic feats. (So much so that probably everyone dopes.) Any couch potato who doped wouldn't be physically capable. It's just a shame that we won't know who really isn't doping until the science catches up.

Zemgirl
08-24-2012, 07:05 PM
It is. It's something they give you to replenish your blood cells during chemo. My friend with pancreatic cancer joked that when he's recovered in a few years, he can go win the Tour de France and they can't get him for doping since he used the EPO in a legitimate manner. :lol:
Thanks for the information - I hope your friend will have a complete recovery, with or without a future cycling career. :)

kwanfan1818
08-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Adam Rippon just tweeted (https://twitter.com/Adaripp/status/239134082980798465):

That #AwkwardMoment when they take down all the Lance Armstrong quotes at the Olympic Training Center. #Yikes

All of the self-flagellation going on among sportswriters who, once again, have had their seven-year old hearts broken...

DaiKozOda
08-25-2012, 02:40 AM
Volta a Portugal
24-08-2012; 8th Stage; 154,9KM (Guarda / Seia) - All about Mountain
Winner: David Blanco (Efapel)
Video summary of the stage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcrISwBaD4c&feature=plcp

First of all, it was a day of contrasts because in city of Guarda the weather was very nice with the sun shinning and around 30║C of temperature. In the arrival in Seia, the weather was misty, rainy and the temperature was around 19║C.
Due to the way the stage was constructed, we can't really speak about a bunch. There were groups here and there.
Jason Bakke of Team Bonitas crashed in a way down with SÚrgio Sousa of Efapel. Still, he was able to continue and lead the race for some time until he was finally caught. Due to his posite attitude he was rewarded with the combativity prize.
David Blanco (Efapel) won the stage convincingly and took the yellow jersey away from Hugo Sabido (LA Antarte) who is now in 2nd place and 8 seconds behind Blanco.
Brice Feillu (Saur Sojasun) moved up to 6th place overall and Darwin Atapuma (Colombia) made it to the top ten (8th place).
Rui Sousa (Efapel) was second in this stage and managed to keep his blue jersey (mountain).
David de la Cruz (Caja Rural) still leads the youth board.
Despite the fall on the stage, SÚrgio Ribeiro was brave enough to get the red jersey (points) surpassing Reinardt van Rensburg.
Team board: Efapel is in the lead. United Healthcare dropped to 12th place.

vesperholly
08-25-2012, 02:43 AM
I'm not a cycling follower. Is it an open secret that Armstrong doped? Even if it's true that he failed drug tests in 2009 and 2010 (and I have yet to see actual proof of this, only allegations), then why are his TDF titles from 99-05 in jeopardy? Why are they backdating his doping charges to 1998?

The jurisdiction and zeal of USADA seems rather suspect, especially since WADA, the US and Int'l cycling associations aren't exactly jumping on board to strip him of his titles forthwith. They're investigating him past their own statute of limitations - why?

jenny12
08-25-2012, 03:26 AM
Obviously if Armstrong doped (which is very likely), it is incredibly wrong. However, it seems like everyone in cycling doped, so, in a sense, wasn't it a even playing field?

london_calling
08-25-2012, 03:35 AM
I think a lot of athletes who dope feel that way. "Everyone else is doing it and I have to as well if I want to keep up." It's especially discouraging considering that powers that be are not exactly cracking down on dopers and are often covering up for them.