PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

sk9tingfan
04-14-2009, 10:34 PM
It appears that Sundance has officially picked up Johnny Weir's new series, "Be Good Johnny Weir". This was reported by Variety, The Business Insider, Hollywood Reporter and Broadcasting and Cable.

http://www.businessinsider.com/dailies-hbo-wins-the-race-for-election-2008-movie-2009-4

:D

Carolla5501
04-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Anyone else think this is an ERROR on his part? Sorry, but reality TV is not what he needs! Catering to the inner diva the year before the Olympics after this year's results???? SCARY!

psycho
04-14-2009, 10:42 PM
This has already been discussed in the NJ show thread.

PeterG
04-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Anyone else think this is an ERROR on his part? Sorry, but reality TV is not what he needs! Catering to the inner diva the year before the Olympics after this year's results???? SCARY!

Hopefully he will focus on his skating and just let the camers follow him around. JOHNNY FOR GOLD IN VANCOUVER!!! :cheer2: :cheer:

igniculus
04-20-2009, 05:51 PM

From what that had been released so far on DVD, it's not like the whole house is full of cameras and every step of him is observed a la Big Brother. There had been mainly interviews reflecting on his performances at various competitions, a couple of training shots at his rink, the Fallen Angels performance from Marshalls, trying on his new costumes, Johnny getting his hair done at a hairstylist studio, or him doing pilates with his trainer & a friend.

And EYS! Johnny for the win! :cheer2: :saint: :swoon:

BaileyCatts
04-20-2009, 06:31 PM
so is this something that had already been taped and canned and just running before the Olympics and that is what they are showing? Or will this be something that starts filming over the summer and continue thru the Olympics?

igniculus
04-20-2009, 06:41 PM
so is this something that had already been taped and canned and just running before the Olympics and that is what they are showing? Or will this be something that starts filming over the summer and continue thru the Olympics?

Johnny will talk about the whole thing in an upcoming interview on Lifeskate, I'd recommend you to check it once it airs. ;) I think it's the same team and crew that has been following him since the 2006/2007 season.

care
04-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Hopefully, from this show, Johnny is making good money for training.

:cheer2: Agree, Johnny for the Gold! :cheer2:

Dr.Siouxs
04-21-2009, 04:40 AM
Catering to the inner diva the year before the Olympics after this year's results???? SCARY!

Since when has Johnny had an inner diva? :lol:

HisWeirness
05-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Pop Star on Ice will have its "World Premiere" May 24, 2009 (6:45 pm) at the Seattle International Film Festival. (http://www.popstaronice.com/)

POP STAR ON ICE is an unprecedented behind-the-scenes portrait of outspoken Olympian and three-time US Figure Skating National Champion Johnny Weir. When Johnny fails to win a medal at the 2006 Winter Olympics, the media turns on him and he feels the backlash. Love him or hate him, Johnny is one of the most talented skaters of all time, but talent alone does not make a champion.

Johnny’s complicated relationship with his longtime coach Priscilla Hill and his struggle to reach the top of the sport takes us from small town Delaware to competitions, shopping sprees, fashion shows and personal appearances around the world.
More info on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=81120241595)
Movie listing on IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1329422/)
Film Festival site: get tickets (www.seattlefilm.com)
Pop Star on Ice SIFF page (http://www.siff.net/festival/film/detail.aspx?id=29112&fid=123)

:D hmm...I have not seen the Japanese Johnny be Good DVD igniculus was talking about above :( so I do not know if this is the same documentary material...but from the descriptions it looks like it covers 2006-07 and probably the coaching change since Galina/Victor are listed in the cast...exciting stuff :biggrinbo...too bad I don't live in Seattle!

FYI, this is NOT the "Be Good Johnny Weir" (http://gawker.com/5211433/soon-sarah-palin-will-launch-a-celebrity-clothing-line) Sundance channel series (http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/196128-Upfronts_2009_Sundance_Renews_Elvis_Costello_Show_ Unveils_New_Programs.php) set to be filmed this season, but earlier footage from the same production crew put together into a documentary film.

LadyNit
05-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Love the movie blurb at the SIFF site:

Johnny Weir is the most compelling athlete you've never heard of. In figure skating circles, Weir is as known for his artistry and skill as he is for his controversial and sometimes baffling behavior. Notorious for his joyfully inappropriate conduct at press conferences and his uncompromising personality and sense of style, Weir’s antics both on and off the ice are hard to ignore. Pop Star On Ice follows a season of Weir's uneven trajectory toward top skating honors as he ricochets between flawless performances and absolute failures. The filmmakers effortlessly provide an immediate and comic portrait of the self-assured, chronically inconsistent skater as he struggles to overcome the hangups that keep him from finishing in first place. From his rocky relationship with the trainer who knows him too well, to his inability to fully commit to his talent, this tightly constructed documentary showcases Weir as a fierce competitor who could one day take the gold.

I've got my tickets! :kickass:

skatesindreams
05-12-2009, 07:36 PM
I hope that this is as interesting as the blurb makes it sound!

Joya
05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
On the one hand, I'm really happy for Johnny that he achieved another goal that he set for himself. On the other hand, I'm worried that this will draw too many reactions along the lines of "What a Diva" and "He's all fluff" and all that stuff we know so well. On the third hand, now is the time to use the momentum of the Olympics and get some serious exposure. On the fourth hand, the judges/ISU might not see it as positive exposure. On the fifth hand, this is Johnny, for better and for worse, and those who love him will keep loving him, and those who don't can bite him (not literally).

In conclusion: Johnny is doing what he wants to do, which is exactly what we've learned to expect (and love) from him. Also, I have too many hands.

Wyliefan
05-12-2009, 07:53 PM
How "complicated" and "rocky" was his relationship with Priscilla? :confused: I haven't followed Johnny news all that closely, but from what little I've read, I always thought they got along pretty well.

genevieve
05-12-2009, 07:55 PM
This is the first time I've read about the reality series - I think Johnny would be better served to focus on his skating rather than an ongoing series.

OTOH, I'm totally going to the SIFF premiere of his documentary!!!