PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

igniculus
05-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Kickass tidbits, Genevieve! :respec:

I also want to know about the best friend Paris. He was a hoot. We didn't see anything about him that wasn't related to Johnny, but it seems like his job is to hang out with Johnny :lol: We saw him doing some jumps on and off ice, and while not elite level he certainly can skate, and he's extremely flexible too. Anyone know what his story is?

I think Johnny hinted somewhere on that friendship, in journal or Q&A. I remember him saying that years ago, they skated at the same rink (possibly in Delaware?) with Paris (whose name is Justin, btw) and that at first, they couldn't stand eachother. (lol, the two dramaqueens :drama:) But according to him, they later became best friends forever and are inseparable. :saint:

judiz
05-25-2009, 07:34 PM
If I remember correctly, Justin aka Paris and Johnny both skated together at the University of Delaware but Justin stopped competiting at the junior level.

Swishcicle
05-25-2009, 07:54 PM
The coverage of his relationship with Pricilla was amazing, particularly the end of it. :eek:

Ooh, and here I thought that they parted on entirely pleasant, amicable terms... :watch:

What I wish I'd asked (during the reality tv part, which involved several questions) was whether they thought having cameras following him all the time could be distracting him from training.

I think this was answered partly in the icenetwork (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090515&content_id=64730&vkey=ice_news) interview:

"Which leads one to ask, did Weir find having a two-man film crew shadowing him at competitions and the occasional practice intrusive?

"Everyone asks, 'Was this a distraction for Johnny?' and I think that's a fair question," Barba said. "It was a big concern in the beginning. We had a good relationship with Johnny's previous coach, Priscilla Hill, and she told us when [our presence] was no longer helpful. We continued that relationship with [Johnny's present coaches] Galina and Viktor [Petrenko].

"And Johnny certainly did not shy away from being himself with us, both on-camera and off-camera. He's always the same person."

They didn't answer the question entirely, but hmm, I'm personally more worried whether the buzz around the film and series itself will be more of a distraction for Johnny. Reading the reviews, I am getting the impression that Johnny might be the easily distracted type. Or not. I wouldn't know.

Thanks again, everyone. It's great getting reviews from actual Figure Skating fans! I think: If non-skating fans enjoy it, and general FS fans find it wonderful, as an unapologetic Johnny uber, my head should explode with glee! Awesome.

I think Johnny hinted somewhere on that friendship, in journal or Q&A. I remember him saying that years ago, they skated at the same rink (possibly in Delaware?) with Paris (whose name is Justin, btw) and that at first, they couldn't stand eachother. (lol, the two dramaqueens :drama:) But according to him, they later became best friends forever and are inseparable. :saint:

Maybe one day, Johnny and Evan can attain such a friendship.

Next years Nationals fluff: It's the Evan and Johnny show!
*camera cuts to the two of them having bubble baths together* :D

igniculus
05-25-2009, 07:54 PM
If I remember correctly, Justin aka Paris and Johnny both skated together at the University of Delaware but Justin stopped competiting at the junior level.

Eys, thanks!

Here is what I googled: reports from South Atlantics 2003:
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=10771
Midatlantics 2004: Unseenskaters forums (http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:dUPoeFBW3e4J:www.unseenskaters.com/board/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D29%26t%3D2011%26p%3D24463+just in+childers+skating&cd=8&hl=hu&ct=clnk&gl=hu)

I guess it's him.

igniculus
05-25-2009, 07:56 PM

:lol: :rofl: Heads would fall! :D ;)

BittyBug
05-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Thank you genevieve, LadyNit and AJ Skatefan for taking the time to share your reviews and fabulous comments. I'm looking forward to seeing this film. :D

genevieve
05-25-2009, 08:01 PM

:rofl: only in slash fanfic, I'm guessing :lol:

Someone did ask if Johnny had seen the film yet, and what he thought. The directors said they sent Johnny a dvd and he was seen the film MANY times. They said he sometimes makes them watch it with him.

Swishcicle
05-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Someone did ask if Johnny had seen the film yet, and what he thought. The directors said they sent Johnny a dvd and he was seen the film MANY times. They said he sometimes makes them watch it with him.

Johnny is a Johnny uber too! :rofl:

igniculus
05-25-2009, 08:22 PM
:rofl: only in slash fanfic, I'm guessing :lol:

LOL, he must love the pretty dude in the film. :P

LadyNit
05-25-2009, 08:36 PM
yeah...it was so fun to hear the directors say that Johnny had watched the film over and over and over and that he REALLY LOVED IT. The crowd got a huge kick out of this response. After being immersed in 85 minutes of pure Johnny-ness, lovingly distilled by skilled editing and selection of scenes, I think we all felt that was exactly how Johnny would react. :lol:

It was clear that these men, who had spent so much time with JWe, were fond of him and very pleased by his enjoyment.

znachki
05-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Hello folks - I was also at the screening last night (I've been registered here for yonks - but haven't been here much.)

I've followed skating for years (from Peggy Fleming on) although I don't follow it as closely as I used to, and I have attended SIFF for years as well.

Throughly enjoyed the doc. As others have said, the filmakers really just let Johnny be Johnny, with great results. A few things that others have touched on:

Johnny and Paris - "We're like an old married couple, without the sex". Priceless.

Johnny and his dad - there are a couple of scenes with his dad, and in one scene particularly, there is a hug and kiss between them that I think speaks volumns. It is heartfelt and genuine, there is no hint of strain or acting for the camera. So, I really believe the filmakers when they say he's just uncomfortable on camera. I imagine there are times when he must be bemused about it all.

The filmakers being a distraction. It wasn't about the run-up to the Olympics specifically, but someone did ask about the distraction. They said that they have been with him for so long that Johnny seems to treat them "like another friend in the room".

The only thing I wish, is that they could've spent a bit more time looking the time around the 2008 Nat's. Although you do have to stop somewhere, because you actually have to produce some product! His time with Galina, and his rededication to skating has made a big difference, and it would've been nice to see a bit more of that.

and.. there were Johnny's Angels in the film that were in the audience - so even more special guests!

Sylvia
05-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Here's a long review from "Nadine" at Golden Skate: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27858&page=2

ETA link to another fan review on Skatefans: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/SkateFans/message/190386

taylorfax
05-25-2009, 10:11 PM
ETA link to another fan review on Skatefans: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/SkateFans/message/190386
ahhaha I love how Stephane infiltrated the Johnny movie with his magic zebras?!! :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

Thanks, everyone, for the great reviews!!

psycho
05-25-2009, 10:13 PM
ahhaha I love how Stephane infiltrated the Johnny movie with his magic zebras?!! :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

Thanks, everyone, for the great reviews!!

I am glad to see I'm not alone in thinking that Stephane's zebra and the explanation for it are one of the greatest things that happened in skating in recent years...:D

Brandi_DeLain
05-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the great reviews! I can't wait to see it.

There's a new Ice Network article up now :

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090525&content_id=4942498&vkey=ice_news

Yay for DVD extras!:cheer2: