PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

judiz
05-25-2009, 05:44 AM
Just curious, how much of the movie is actually figure skating and how much is Johnny off the ice? Wonder if the filmmakers were not able to get permission to use the original music in the documentary and that's why they
had to use different versions.

HisWeirness
05-25-2009, 05:44 AM
^^ Thanks for the report!!! :respec:

Swishcicle
05-25-2009, 05:58 AM
I can't wait to watch the film! Thank you, LadyNit! :swoon::swoon::swoon:

pairsskater
05-25-2009, 06:01 AM
Wow...thanks for sharing your impressions. I'm so anxious to see this film! :cool:

AJ Skatefan
05-25-2009, 06:13 AM
Lady Nit summed it up perfectly. The movie was fabulous. The clips on the ice were short and there was lots of behind the scenes footage. Non skating fans could appreciate it too because they explained in basic terms how the season goes. Lots of commentary by Pricilla Hill and his mother. There were parts that were really funny. Can't wait to see the tv series. Now if I only got Sundance Channel...

igniculus
05-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Thank you LadyNit and AJ Skatefan! :respec:
Oh boy, the reviews sound awesome! :saint:

skatesindreams
05-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the sharing your impressions, Lady Nit!
I wish that I could see the film.

oakl0008
05-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the review Ladynit. The preview looks awesome. I have even more respect for someone that has achieved what he did while being who he is with humour and confidence. I so wish they were showing it up here in Canada.

Bootleg Please!!!

genevieve
05-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Yeeeekkk! What I notice most about that photo is how freakin' filthy the grout is. :rofl:
Well, he DID say in the film that he was reporting from a 'filthy bathroom' :P

Loved the film. As LadyNit said, it highlighted the irreverence of Johnny but also his frustrations, goals, etc. The coverage of his relationship with Pricilla was amazing, particularly the end of it. :eek: I'm actually glad that they didn't show entire programs. We've seen them all before (I'm sure some folks have his competitions committed to memory :P), I wanted to see what hadn't been shown before.

Some notes from the post-screening Q&A with the directors:

- There were a couple of questions about his family. One about his dad, who appears only once in the film (Mom Weir is shown quite a lot and speaks to the camera several times). They said Dad Weir is less comfortable about being on camera and wants the film to be about Johnny, not the family. Someone else asked about the family's initial move from Quarryville to Delaware. Filmmakers confirmed that the move was because of Johnny's skating and indicated that the family still has a tough time dealing with the various sacrifices that were made for skating.

- The filmmakers originally set out to do a documentary on figure skating as a whole, but were bored by the canned responses skaters gave at press conferences (we got to see a LOT of Evan's less-than-awesome press responses). They saw that all the press would come running when Johnny would enter the press room and realized they had chosen the wrong subject.

- When Johnny is skating in competition, the directors can't be anywhere near each other, they are so nervous for him :lol:

- The film ends at '08 Nats (they mention that he went on to medal at Worlds, but the story clearly ends with Nats). The documentary series will pick up afterwards. Someone asked how Johnny's been skating since '08 (most if not all of the questions seemed to be from folks who don't follow skating)...and the directors said he is now training for the Olympics, setting up his programs etc. No mention of the '08-'09 season :saint:

- They said Johnny and Priscilla are now friendly, but it took some work and time for that to happen.

What I wish I'd asked (during the reality tv part, which involved several questions) was whether they thought having cameras following him all the time could be distracting him from training. I know oakl0008 made a case for it not mattering on the last page, but I think Johnny's still skating because he DOES want those titles/medals. There was a lot of footage of both Priscilla and Johnny talking about the level of his training going into competition. The connection wasn't completely drawn, but the implication was that Johnny does not always train as well as he could.

I also want to know about the best friend Paris. He was a hoot. We didn't see anything about him that wasn't related to Johnny, but it seems like his job is to hang out with Johnny :lol: We saw him doing some jumps on and off ice, and while not elite level he certainly can skate, and he's extremely flexible too. Anyone know what his story is?

Really fun film, and I'm definitely interested in the series when it comes out!

AJ Skatefan
05-25-2009, 05:21 PM
That was a great summary of the movie, Genevieve! It was great to see you last night! Go Johnny!

mmscfdcsu
05-25-2009, 05:23 PM
That's my boy! Gooooooooooooooooooooooo Johnny!

oakl0008
05-25-2009, 05:31 PM
I know oakl0008 made a case for it not mattering on the last page, but I think Johnny's still skating because he DOES want those titles/medals.

Thanks for your lovely review, I got a great feel for the documentary since I'm not able to see it here in Canada. Just to clear up this obvious misunderstanding of what I said (since you mentioned my name, thanks :) ), I said that it wouldn't matter to OTHERS because he has already achieved so much both in medals (3 national chmapionhsips, 1 world bronze, several GP medals, etc) and in building an identity of interest in the sport world and pop culture. He could retire right now and have plenty of opportunities, and that could be the easier choice for him, however he is competetive enough to remain in amateur. I never said that it doesn't matter to him. Judging by how he speaks and the medals he already has, winning is #1 on his list. Otherwise, he would be in competition. Here's hoping for a great season for him, and great things beyond. He is so fun to watch.

PeterG
05-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the great reviews, everyone.

This thread makes me think that I should have gone to the Johnny's Angels get-together in Everett during Skate America.... :(

Sparks
05-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the reviews! Very interesting. I hope I get to see the movie and the documentary.

Sparks, still loving Johnny.

pairsskater
05-25-2009, 06:24 PM
- The filmmakers originally set out to do a documentary on figure skating as a whole, but were bored by the canned responses skaters gave at press conferences (we got to see a LOT of Evan's less-than-awesome press responses). They saw that all the press would come running when Johnny would enter the press room and realized they had chosen the wrong subject.

That's priceless. One the very earliest review (before it was shown last night) was by a non-skating media person who enjoyed it but said, "why Johnny Weir, why not another skater", etc. I thought to myself ..because you might be BORED, that's why.

I stayed up way too late last night waiting for reviews. Thanks everyone so much for their input and information. I'm so happy for Johnny ---sometimes movies aren't so great but this one sounds like a winner. :encore: